Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Newly diagnosed diabetic dog! I need thoughts and advice!

Wow I am amazed at all the great information on this site, I have 3 Min Pins ages 7, 6 and 5 all from different breeders. My oldest Violet who has always loved to eat started throwing up and and losing weight in end of Oct I knew something was wrong so took her to the vet and found out she has diabetes. She had weighed 21 lbs (over weight) and she lost 3. There is so much to learn. I am able to give her shots twice a day but I haven't been able to do the blood tests, I had to leave her with the vet last week all day for them to get a curve on her and take her back tomorrow all day again for another curve. She is a very loving mellow Min Pin. I have time off during the holidays and I am trying to learn as much as I can to help her live a long life. I also need to find a way to get a blood sample by myself with her so I don't have to take her to the vet all the time.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Default Re: New Min Pin member

I hope you don't mind - I copied your post about Violet so she will have a thread of her own.

Mellow Min Pin huh? 8) I didn't know there was such a thing!

We have quite a few Min Pin members. Welcome to you and Violet (I love her name!).

Natalie
Old 12-28-2010, 07:08 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Just wanted to say hi and welcome to you and Violet!
Patty
Old 12-28-2010, 07:28 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Welcome to the forum!! I Love the name violet. We're here to help; any question is a good one. You'll love home testing, it is cheaper but most of all its peace of mind
Old 12-28-2010, 09:40 AM

Hi fellow min pin owner! I have a very hyper min pin so I can't imagine owning three! God love you!

You are in for good luck with Violet being mellow. Should make managing this disease a lot easier for you. Just wanted to say welcome!

Pam and Pip
Old 12-28-2010, 11:34 AM

No I don't mind, I am not only new to all of this I am pretty computer savvy but for some reason have never found a need to join any forums until now that is so I am boning up on that as well as Diabetic dogs.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:36 AM

Thank you, I am doing the best I can to educate my self for Violet's sake thank fully I can use my remaining vacation time to do as much research as I can.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:41 AM

Violet was my first and is loving and mellow that I didn't know they had a rep, until my vet and her staff told me that was not the norm! So that is how I ended up with three. My middle Min Pin "Sweet Pea" is apparently more typical she has a rep with the vet and her staff and is always muzzled, except she is such a mommy's baby at the vet they forget sometimes and the Vet will have to remind them that no this isn't Violet. My littlest Min Pin "Heather" is a real baby doll just loves to be held and snuggled, but cries like a baby if the vets want to do her nails or tests, so I am glad neither Sweet Pea or Heather have Diabetes and will do my best to be sure I get their weight under control.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:11 PM

I am bummed I just talked with the Vet about Violet's BG readings on her curve today, she was high all day and they just now got a reading that was 375. The vet said that last week's curve she was high all day also. She needs readings at night to be able to see if Violet is lower at night or if the evening insulin is doubling up. I really really am going to try to get reading's myself. Going to pick Violet up at 6:45 and they are going to have me try again to take a reading. I have spent all day looking at the forum's info and going to utube and watching video's on how to get a BG reading. This is really hard.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:33 PM

Is there a good lancing device that any one can recommend? I really need to be able to get a BG on Violet and am just struggling. I don't have any one to help and although Violet never bites and is very mellow I have hurting her and she pulls away from me when I try to get a read. I know I am nervous and she must feel it also she must wonder why I am hurting her now, I am not always good at giving her the insulin with out hurting her. Feeling overwhelmed right now. Blood Curve never got below 350 today.