Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:55 PM

Default Kumbi died uexpectedly June 8 2010

Hi! I'm new here - been here a few days, looking around. I stumbled on this forum - must have been while reading the Pet Diabetes Wikia area.

Kwali is my elder dog; recovering from a mild stroke; doing well; she's 13.5 years old. She and my diabetic dog, Kumbi, who will be 12 on 19 November, are the dearest of good buddies. Both are second-hand dogs, at least in a sense. Both were young when they came to me.

Kumbi is in glowing good health, two years after diagnosis with diabetes. I didn't get on the web or join lists for the first 8 months after diagnosis - my vet was so good, I didn't really need much help, but when finally I did join some lists, it was a lot of fun to be sharing with others. I tried a bunch of lists, and found one sort of passable one, and one that I really like.

A few days ago, I left the passable one, as events there had me feeling a bit shaky about communications there. The same day, later, I discovered this forum. I was so greatly taken by the immense competence here, as well as the friendly tone, and the wonderful organization, that I linked here from my web site.

Naturally, with a diabetic dog, we live on a pretty tight schedule; being old and retired for many years now, this was new to me; I had to re-learn how to do things on time! I use a calendar program to help me out! It talks to me until I check off, or tick off, the current task that needs doing. That's a blessing for me; I get quite distracted at times.

I'm really enjoying reading your posts here. Thanks for being here!

Fair warning - I write very, VERY long posts; will try to control myself! (But that's a reason I have a web site, where again, I am VERY long-winded!) So much so that I had to put in a "Fast-Track" set of links to get through part of it.

I added a narrator to my site when, on the passable list, I kept encountering attitudes about diabetes that cast doom-and-gloom. There's no need for that, and I think it's no good for newcomers to diabetes, who would do far better to come here. So, my cohort and narrator, Vekkie, has the job of making people laugh. I suppose that to enjoy that stuff, you really need a relaxed sense of humor!

Looking forward to coming here to share stories! The most refreshing thing about this place is - it's all about the dogs. Thank you, Natalie and Kathy!

Fri, 19 Sep 2008 21:51:11

Last edited by CarolW; 09-20-2008 at 06:51 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 09-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Kwali (ndd), Kumbi (dd) and me (Carol, ndh)

Hi Carol,

I will try to give you a run for your money in the long-winded post department!!

We would love to hear more about Kumbi and the insulin/diet you use.

There's a poll at the top of this forum where you can record it so others can see what system you are using to keep Kumbi healthy and happy. That's very useful for new members or for people thinking about changing diets/insulins/regimens.

Also there's a forum for your Kumbi's story of diagnosis, regimen, and living with diabetes. I found similar stories very helpful to me when Chris was first diagnosed - especially about a dog named Rena who lost her vision to diabetes-induced cataracts and still went hiking in the wilderness of Utah - so wanted a place for them here. You can always edit them to update or add a new post with new or additional information.

Nice to see you "officially here." I'm hoping to have some time this weekend to read more on your website, http://www.coherentdog.org/.

Welcome!

Natalie
Old 09-19-2008, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Oh cool! I see you've already put his information in the poll thread. Great!!
Old 09-20-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9diabetes View Post
Oh cool! I see you've already put his information in the poll thread. Great!!
Yeah; I started there. Speaking of long-winded! That's a great idea; surely helpful to all, to see all the different things going on.

Back to bed now!

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 01:20:42
Old 09-20-2008, 05:14 AM
Founding Member

Welcome Carol and Kumbi and family!

Will read at your site today too!
Old 09-20-2008, 05:31 AM
Founding Member

Welcome Carol and Kumbi and Kwali, too! I am so glad that you have found this site...the folks here are about as knowledgeable as you can get, and they are here to help and support you. Ricky and I feel fortunate to be a part of this community...no negative energy here!

Love and hugs, Teresa and Ricky
Old 09-20-2008, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise View Post
Welcome Carol and Kumbi and family!

Will read at your site today too!
Hope you enjoy reading. Warning - not only is it long-winded; it's also outrageously playful!

Wow, you have some animal family there! |'m sure you have your hands VERY full! Two is all I can manage. I gotta say, though, the BOND that develops during care of an animal is totally amazing.

And I'm really enjoying the straight-forwardness and friendliness of this place.

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 05:47:47
Old 09-20-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksma View Post
Welcome Carol and Kumbi and Kwali, too! I am so glad that you have found this site...the folks here are about as knowledgeable as you can get, and they are here to help and support you. Ricky and I feel fortunate to be a part of this community...no negative energy here!

Love and hugs, Teresa and Ricky
Teresa - I was just reading about Ricky last night. It's good to begin to get to know some of you. I'm sure I'll get to know people-and-animals here, eventually! I am such a nut about communications, and getting to know you all.

You can tell - YES; you CAN tell - when the people who make a forum (that's really all of you, with Natalie and Kathy leading the way) - are dedicated truly to the animals. It shows. And it's what attracted me here.

I have a ton still to learn about diabetes in dogs, and I found a great place to learn more - here! And on the Pet Diabetes Wikia site. Excellent site. That's why Vekkie and I can be so outrageous - we don't have to be complete!

Also, I love having a place I can point to when people are needing more help - namely, here!

Thanks for the welcome!

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 06:04:46
Old 09-20-2008, 08:52 AM
Founding Member

Welcome Carol,Kwali and Kumbi!!!! What does their names mean? You have come to right place Kathy and Natalie are soo smart. They help me when I become psycho and stressed!!!And else here as well!!!
Old 09-20-2008, 09:14 AM

Welcome Carol, Kwali and Kumbi! You found the right place! No negative people around here! All of them have helped me getting through my first month and 1/2. I 'm still learning, but this forum has made sure that I am now a lot better informed.

I am curious too what your dogs names mean!

Best wishes,