Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Default Canadian members - Where do you buy U40 syringes

I was contacted by someone in Ontario Canada concerned about the cost of treating her newly diagnosed diabetic dog as she's on a fixed income.

How much for NPH and syringes there?

Natalie
Old 09-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Founding Moderator

Default Re: Canadian members - cost?

Natalie,

While I don't have pricing, I see that WalMart has stores in Canada and they would be selling the ReliOn insulin and syringes the same as they do in the US. Would believe there's a similar savings there as here with them also.

http://www.walmart.com/cservice/ca_storefinder.gsp

"To find a Wal-Mart store in Canada, call 1-800-328-0402 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (ET) Monday-Friday."

This might be a possibility.

Kathy
Old 09-27-2008, 05:40 PM

Natalie, the only member I know from Ont. is Jo-anne ( and Lady). I cannot tell you anything about insulin here in Canada.....
Besides Wal-Mart there is London Drugs...they have big assortment of diabetic supplies. Their prices are not bad either and they are very helpfull.
Hope this is some help!
Old 09-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Administrator

I think I'll email Jo-anne and see if she can help, perhaps talk to this lady directly via email. I heard back from her and she is very worried and needs some assistance sorting this out.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Founding Member

Hi Natalie,
Just did a bit of googling and came up with this.

http://www.diabetesexpress.ca/

Shipping is free over $150 and only $7.95 under $150 and it's in Canada.

The prices look ok to me but of course I pay more in Australia so there may be better options.

Jenny & Buddy
Old 09-29-2008, 02:19 PM

I was just having a peek here and came across this thread. Yes, Walmart was the cheapest to get syringes, and they are everywhere as well, depending where she is in Ontario too. I'm in Manitoba. Also for the insulin, she can check PetPharm.org as long as she has a prescription that she can fax in. That is were I used to get Reiko's caninsulin...way cheaper than from the vet, even with shipping. I usually ordered 10 vials at a time and they shipped purolator. Now they don't ship prescriptions out of province, but she is in Ontario, so won't have to worry about that. Worth a try anyway.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Founding Member

Hi everyone,
Have just been off the forums for a couple of days but have been on my hotmail so got Natalie's message this am and have responded to her with my phone number.
The PetPharm.org site should be interesting but this other lady should probably try a human insulin if she's just getting started, especially with a big dog. But then, my Lady gets 14iu's each injection so maybe I should be finding a cheaper place to buy Caninsulin than our vet. Treating both diseases is very expensive especially as the closest vet clinic costs $100 round trip in gas just to get there! Then there's the motel cost before we even get into the clinic!!
Hope I hear from this lady soon,
Jo-Ann & Lady
Old 09-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Hi Jo-Ann,

Thank you SO MUCH for offering to help. I have sent her emails to you and your email address to her.

Her Lady was going to be at the vet all day yesterday, I presume for a curve on her first shot of insulin so I'm very anxious to hear how it went.

Natalie
Old 11-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Canadian members - Where do you buy U40 syringes

Terry was asking me about buying U40 syringes as she's currently using the 28 gauge ones that come with Caninsulin.

Anyone in Canada using U40 syringes - what's available and where do you buy them?

Natalie
Old 11-08-2008, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Canadian members - Where do you buy U40 syringes

U40 syringes can be expensive and sometimes hard to come by, it would be cheaper to use U100 syringes and do the conversion, with the U100 syringes there is the choice of using a smaller needle such as 30 or 31 gauge which also makes the injection less painful on the pet.
http://www.felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions.htm
Eileen