Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:08 AM

Default Dog losing eyesight...what to expect

My dog, Lincoln, was diagnosed with diabetes back in February. He just turned 10 in June and is doing pretty well with his insulin. However, as I knew would happen eventually, he appears to be losing his eyesight. It seems to just have happened over the last week or so.

Anyway, I am planning on calling the vet today and am curious about what to expect. Will they do tests? Will they suggest surgery? Do dogs with cataracts usually have surgery, or just if they are in pain (which he doesn't seem to be). How much does surgery generally cost? I just want to know what to epect before I bring him in I guess.

And I know from reading some posts on here that most dogs adjust to it pretty well. But...I am very sad about this.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2012, 04:33 AM

Default Re: Dog losing eyesight...what to expect

Hi Betsy, I was really sad when Jenny lost her eyesight also. Some dogs seem to handle it better than others. Jenny is one of those. She lives in the now. We met with a canine opthamologist who looked at Jenny to see if she would be a good candidate for cataract surgery and gave me a quote. I think it was something like $2400 but don't remember for sure.

We decided no surgery for Jenny. In addition to the surgery you have to be prepared for complications and Jenny has other issues that we didn't want to put her through it, and, financially, it would have been tough.

We started getting her used to commands like stop, up, she won't go down the steps on her own but we haven't tried real hard.

The first month or so was the hardest, watching her bonk into things and watching her be so tentative. It has almost been a year now and people who stop over don't realize she is our blind dog. She does pretty well. hang in there. Judi
Old 08-06-2012, 04:50 AM

Thank you so much Judi.

So how do I know if surgery is for us? Some things I've read online have said that it's more for if your dog is in pain. We would know if he's in pain right? I guess I'm afraid of making the wrong decision...either being "talked into" surgery that isn't necessary, or not getting surgery and him being in pain.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:58 AM

if I were you I'd meet with a doggy eye doctor. I think the pain is more if a dog has glaucoma. But you'd know if he was in pain because I think he'd be rubbing at his eyes and acting funny.

Our eye doctor was very matter of fact. It is what she does so she just kind of assumed we'd probably be doing it but I read a lot here.

It's a tough call.

here is a link to an older thread about it: http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3360
Old 08-06-2012, 09:40 AM

I think the pain is usually pressure and that could be from glaucoma I would think the dog would be rubbing his/her eyes alot. which can cause other things as well like an ulcer (ulcers you can get other ways as well - Another dog I had several years ago got an ulcer from riding in the car with the window down.)

I just got a price for jake of $4,805 for both eyes with lens put in - they say there is a 95% success rate

SO food perscription food
Old 08-06-2012, 10:22 AM

Hi Betsy. My girl Osha was diagnosed with diabetes about 4 months ago. She is 10 years old and is beginning to lose her sight. I also was/am very saddened about this unfortunate side affect of her diabetes.

At this point I've decided to hold off on any eye surgery. She seems to be doing really well at this point. When we go on walks I keep her on the lease and walk the same path daily, so she's familiar with the territory. She also knows her way around the house very well (I don't move/change furniture around) and this doesn't seem to be an obstacle for her. I'm noticing that she uses her senses of smell and hearing very well now that her sight is waning.

I wish you the very best. It's tough but dogs seem to be very resilient and adaptive to their situation. My biggest concern, at this point, is making sure that I manage her BG to a degree that is safe and healthy for her.

As a guardian and protector for my Osha, I try to ensure that I provide her an excellent quality of life that is safe, healthy and stress free. Good luck to you.

My very best to you and your dear one.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:05 PM

I gave Mildred her eye sight back in 2005, not because she was in any discomfort or not handling her loss of vision well....I did it simply so she could see again, which she did wonderfully for the next 7 years.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog
Old 08-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Of all the things that happened to our dog after he was diagnosed with diabetes, his losing his vision was definitely the hardest on my husband and me. We were devastated.

Chris, on the other hand, completely took it in stride, adjusted quickly, and lived four of his five years with diabetes blind. People who didn't know him were usually surprised to find he was blind. He went for walks every day, traveled with us, waded in the river on a long lead.

The blindness is generally cataracts, which in and of themselves are not painful. However, they can cause a significant amount of inflammation as lens decomposes. So it's usually good once the cataracts are more advanced to give NSAID eye drops to control the inflammation.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...=1945&SourceID=

We didn't do the surgery so I can't quote a direct price, but I've seen the estimates provided by others vary significantly - anywhere from $1,800 to more than $4,000. I don't know really know why the cost varies so significantly, but it does. So cost-wise it would be best to get an estimate from the person who would do the surgery if you are interested.

There is a complication rate of about 10%, which I've seen for myself over the eight years I've been on forums for diabetic dogs. Some dogs who had cataract surgery eventually had to have the eye or eyes removed because of those complications. So that is also something to consider when making the cost decision.

They often test to make sure there isn't other damage to the eyes before completing cataract surgery. Not every dog is a good candidate for it - our dog wasn't as he had several other chronic eye problems.

Natalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy918 View Post

Anyway, I am planning on calling the vet today and am curious about what to expect. Will they do tests? Will they suggest surgery? Do dogs with cataracts usually have surgery, or just if they are in pain (which he doesn't seem to be). How much does surgery generally cost? I just want to know what to epect before I bring him in I guess.

And I know from reading some posts on here that most dogs adjust to it pretty well. But...I am very sad about this.

Thanks
Old 08-07-2012, 07:38 AM

Eileen thanks for that , we have made the decision to have Jake's eyes done this weekend and I am really nervous but I am hoping for the 95 % success rate and he is still young ( I think he is still young at 7) and am hoping to let him have his sight for the rest of his life which I hope will be a long time. We are lucky in that we took out insurance on Jake pre diabetes so the insurance is covering 90% of the cost of the eye surgery.

SO food perscription food
Old 08-07-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfazio View Post
Eileen thanks for that , we have made the decision to have Jake's eyes done this weekend and I am really nervous but I am hoping for the 95 % success rate and he is still young ( I think he is still young at 7) and am hoping to let him have his sight for the rest of his life which I hope will be a long time. We are lucky in that we took out insurance on Jake pre diabetes so the insurance is covering 90% of the cost of the eye surgery.
Aw, it makes my heart so happy to hear of these that are able to have their sight restored. Fantastic that the insurance is paying the majority of the bill.

I can not put into words the joy that comes with watching them rediscover their world, having this surgery for Mildred was one of the best decisions I could have ever made, money very well spent.

I wish Jake the best of luck, that he can be one like my Mil, breeze thru the surgery as well as recovery and have a lifetime ahead of wonderful sight.

Can't wait to hear an update...

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog