Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Diabetic Rottweiler/Meter & Curves

excellent news!
Old 07-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Good to hear! Day by day is a good approach
Old 08-16-2012, 11:34 PM

Been doing good, was reading up on another thread about weight gain. Wondering how I can get Dutch to gain a little bit of healthy weight. He has been getting thinner around the ribs and what not, meanwhile my female rottie is getting chubby! I'm not sure what to do since his curves have been pretty good.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Been doing good, was reading up on another thread about weight gain. Wondering how I can get Dutch to gain a little bit of healthy weight. He has been getting thinner around the ribs and what not, meanwhile my female rottie is getting chubby! I'm not sure what to do since his curves have been pretty good.
It took about 8 months before Sammie was back to her ideal weight of 70 lbs (started at 45 at her worst when she was diagnosed). I was feeding her enough food for a 100 lb dog which she happily ate :-) but just finished reducing her food to the amount for a 70 lb dog and I think she's holding steady.

Once we had her regulation pretty much figured out the weight started to come back slowly but surely. You should find the same with Dutch.
Karen & Sammie 77 lb Female Golden Retriever/Collie 9 years old. Addisons and diabetes diagnosed June, 2011. 17 U am/ 9 U pm Novolin N & 2 mg of Prednisone/day. 3 cups Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient Lamb split into 4x a day feedings.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:41 PM

Default Diabetes/Leg Problems/Sores

For as long as I can remember every once in a while, Dutch developed a wet open sore somewhere on his foot, usually on the bottom and he would naw at it. Don't know if the nawing caused the sore in the first place or if it was some kind of allergy or something. So foot problems and constantly nawing at his feet have been a problem for years, not that big of a deal.

But anyways, back to the point. He has developed leg and foot sores that have progessivly gotten worse over the last month and he wont stop nawing at them which is making them worse instead of healing them. The thing that makes these sores different then earlyer stated is they are swollen lumps and not just raw patches. He has had a couple off and on which actually healed up right before he went to the vet a few weeks ago so I didn't really bring it up. I'm sure that these sores are complications from his diabetes. Usually they heal up and the swelling goes away, but he wont stop chewing on these ones and they are all raw and swollen. They seem to reoccur in the same spots, one particular one came back and is really swollen up. I just got done coating them all in neosporin.

I'm not sure of what kinds of treatments I can do at home for these sores or ulcers or whatever they are and was wondering if any other Diabetics or diabetic dogs have similar problems and how they cope with it. They are on all of his legs or maby just 3. Want them to heal before they become a serious problem.

Last edited by Timothy; 08-19-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:11 AM

Default Re: Diabetes/Leg Problems/Sores

Hi

I am wondering about sores too...Ruby got ?stung by a bee? on the top of her foot, we were walking and suddenly she did an Olympic type super leap and yelp and lifted up her foot. There was nothing to see for days, but now she is "worrying it" its getting a little swollen looking. It doesnt seem to hurt her but she wont let you touch it, its about a 1 cm square area on top of foot.

I know Diabetics dont heal well, but not sure when I should worry.

Is Polysporin okay for dogs? What if she licks it?

Does anyone take their dogs temperature?

If I was rich i'd have a Live In Vet!
Old 08-20-2012, 09:38 AM

actually my jesse heals very quickly which i do find quite unusual

i have noticed she gets a bump from time to time and figured she was getting bit by something from ants to maybe spiders because i get bit also and get a bump she may loose some hair around and around the subsequent bump after it heals which all points to an insect bite or sting

they are on the ground allot so the potential for bites and stings are probably common but there fur may help to prevent it some i saw a harvest ant bite her on her foot between her pad her leg sharked all the way up her body

i guess you would like to identify if it is and insect and a reaction to that or something else going on for jesse she gets a hard raised half inch bump and seems to loose hair around it after it heals
Old 08-20-2012, 04:57 PM

Hi Timothy

I just saw your post about Dutch's problems.

My Buddy had food and environmental allergies. Once I change his food to grain free, it helped but he still developed those sores. He had the same problem before being diagnosed with diabetes and it didn't change after. Some of these sores were quite big and the incessant licking aggravated them and sometimes transferred the infection to his gums.

He had them on all 3 paws, but one spot in particular on his right paw was almost constant. One was so big that the vet thought he had a foreign object and did surgery which proved unneccesary and Buddy developed a major infection to a point where they talked about amputation.

Buddy was on different antibiotics and I tried just about every cream, lotion etc and the only thing that brought relief and helped the most was the Zymox Topical Spray (with 1% hydrocortisone). I bought the stuff at Entirely Pets (I loved the stuff so much that I also bought the shampoo, cream rinse, ear cleaner as well)

I would soak his paws in warm water and epsom salt, dry them and spray them with this Zymox. If he had them on more than one paw, I'd let him stand in the laundry tub with warm water and epsom salt for about 5 minutes. When the sores were really bad, I have had to do it 2-3 times per day. I also resorted to putting on booties on at night so he wouldn't sneak a lick.

They are not fun to deal with and you really have to stay on top of it.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your boy (he is a handsome one)

Louise
Old 12-23-2012, 05:27 AM

Default Novolin N not working?

Hello. Ive been away for a while for school. We switched to Novolin N a while back and I don't know if it is working. His sugar is constantly high. Around thanksgiving he started loosing more weight. I increased his dosage from about 26 to 30 now and its still close to 500. I'm going to try increasing it more but if that dosen't work I'm not sure what to do. I don't think that it stays in his system as long as humalin did. Other then that hes about the same. About a month later His left eye looks like it has sunk in a little bit and it kind of has a "lazy eye" effect.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:48 AM

Timothy, did you do a curve before the increases were made? If so could you post the numbers?

If there was no curve done prior to the 4 unit increase I would not increase him any more until a curve could be run. I know in the past Dutch has been sensitive and being a Rottie they are known for being a little trickier diabetes wise.

Folks have been noticing differences in their dogs with Novolin. Sometimes it is stronger then the Humilin, sometimes weaker and sometimes not lasting as long.

Tara