Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:19 AM

Default Humulin N vs Novolin N

Almost finished with my last vial of Humulin N.

Did you find the Novolin to be a bit stronger or a bit weaker than the Humulin product?

Looks like Otis will be making the switch this evening or tomorrow morning.
Otis Farrell b. July 24, 1999 cherished family member and best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dads loving arms Oct. 4, 2013. Otis was dxd Dec. 2010, blind Feb. 2011, fought chronic sinusitis and severe arthritis before succumbing to congestive heart failure. Run pain free, Dear Otis, til we're together again.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:31 AM

Default Re: Humulin N vs Novolin N

As best I can figure the novolin has been about the same in Ruby or a little weaker. There are a lot of variable in her case though. She was on a different insulin in-between and had gained some weight in the interim.

Some folks have have a problem with it being stronger though, Judi with Jenny the thread is "11 yr old poodle" I think. Cebe also recently switched and discussed it on her thread.

Good luck.... How have Otis's legs been lately, is he still lame? I hope he has gotten some relief.

Tara
Old 11-19-2012, 05:53 AM

Started Tiggy yesterday and tested all day long . Definately seemed weaker... Numbers were running higher and were going up and down all day nadir was 4 hours later than with the Humilin

Did a curve on the first day of it but am going to do another one at the end of the week after she settles into it. Btw I left her dose the same, did not reduce it as others have. I was going to but figured I was home all day so......

Sandy
Old 11-19-2012, 05:55 AM

Hi Bill: it is stronger for Jenny. we were just under 2 units of Humulin and using 1.25 of Novolin she has sometimes had some pretty low lows in the morning.

But my unsubstantiated theory is also that if she is active it wears out before 12 hours and we have had some 300+ readings before her 6pm meal.

I don't think Cebe's Zoe had any lows at all. Sandy just started Tiggy yesterday, hopefully she'll see this.

Based on my 41 reading with Jenny after only backing off .25 (remember her dose is low cause her cortisol is low), if I were you I'd err on the side of caution and back him off for a little bit.

Hugs to Otis, hope he is feeling better! Judi
Old 11-19-2012, 06:38 AM

For Mildred the Novolin N was a bit stronger...as was the rapid acting, Novolog over Humalog.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog
Old 11-19-2012, 07:57 AM

Bill I had a fasting of 409 this morning!! So I don't know if she dipped too low during the night but my hunch is that she spiked and kept climbing with the way her numbers read yesterday!! Back to the drawing board

Sandy
Old 11-19-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubytuesday View Post
As best I can figure the novolin has been about the same in Ruby or a little weaker.
Tara
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyL View Post
Started Tiggy yesterday and tested all day long . Definately seemed weaker.
..Sandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi View Post
Hi Bill: it is stronger for Jenny. we were just under 2 units of Humulin and using 1.25 of Novolin she has sometimes had some pretty low lows in the morning.
Judi
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen View Post
For Mildred the Novolin N was a bit stronger...as was the rapid acting, Novolog over Humalog.
Looks like a split. I believe I'll stay on the safe side and lower his dose a bit to 10U & 10.5U and see what happens. I'll let you know how he does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubytuesday View Post
How have Otis's legs been lately, is he still lame? I hope he has gotten some relief.
Tara
The legs are a bit better, still favoring the left front - not as bad though.
Otis Farrell b. July 24, 1999 cherished family member and best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dads loving arms Oct. 4, 2013. Otis was dxd Dec. 2010, blind Feb. 2011, fought chronic sinusitis and severe arthritis before succumbing to congestive heart failure. Run pain free, Dear Otis, til we're together again.

Last edited by farrwf; 11-19-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:28 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Annie made the switch to Novolin insulins on 11-1. I reduced the N from 7.0 that I had recently been giving (Humulin-N) to 6.75 of Novolin-N for safety. The multiple tests on 11-1 and 11-2 looked "high-normal". Tweaked the Novolin-N up to 7.0 on 11-3 because nadir was mid-high 100s and the insulin seemed to be running out by +9ish.

Annie had an eye appointment on 11-5 and confirmed an eye infection. She was put on Tobramycin (one week to go on the treatment). Her BG readings increased, and I've increased the Novolin-N every 3-4 days; now getting 8.25 units of Novolin-N. Can't be sure if the increase was caused by the Tobramycin, or what.

Gotta go buy several more boxes of test strips! We won't worry much until she if off the Tobramycin for a few days.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
  • Annie made the switch to Novolin insulins on 11-1. I reduced the N from 7.0 that I had recently been giving (Humulin-N) to 6.75 of Novolin-N for safety. The multiple tests on 11-1 and 11-2 looked "high-normal". Tweaked the Novolin-N up to 7.0 on 11-3 because nadir was mid-high 100s and the insulin seemed to be running out by +9ish.
  • Annie had a confirmed eye infectionon 11-5 . She was put on Tobramycin (one week to go on the treatment). Her BG readings increased, and I've increased the Novolin-N every 3-4 days; now getting 8.25 units of Novolin-N. Can't be sure if the increase was caused by the Tobramycin, or what.

Looks like that eye infection is muddling your results and you probably won't get reliable reads until it passes..
Old 11-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrwf View Post
[/LIST]
Looks like that eye infection is muddling your results and you probably won't get reliable reads until it passes..
That's what I'm thinking. I've looked Tobramycin up on the Internet and haven't found any definitive statement that it will affect BG, but as we know just about anything that enters the mouth, eyes, ears may make things interesting.

I looked back two years in her logbook when she was using Novolin-N (before Walmart switched to Humulin) and she was using about 8 units, but she was on different food and a boat-load of eye drops.

I think you've got the right idea to back off the dosage a little for the first day or two. I'd be interested how you find the duration, if it runs out a few hours earlier.