Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:32 PM

Default Shots...not insulin and diabetic dogs.

I am curious if all of you still get your dogs rabies, distemper, lepto and other shots on your diabetic dog or if you titer and have them medically exempted.

I personally have never been keen on shots. The only shot I have ever had done for any of my crew...even totally healthy is rabies and that is only because it is state mandated, for everything else I have always titered my dogs. There are so many studies of side effects of the rabies shot in healty dogs that a dog with any type of health issue...well a rabies shot does not bode well for me.

When my diabetic boy Lou was diagnosed with SA he was medically exempted from ever needing another rabies shot so now that he is diabetic it is not something I need to concern myself with but it did make me wonder how the rest of you owners deal with that. And if your dog is still getting rabies shots or any of the other mentioned shots does it affect their insulin intake or bg levels afterwards?
Old 11-11-2013, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Shots...not insulin and diabetic dogs.

Piper got all of her shots except Rabies (wasn't due yet) at the beginning of this year. I don't think her BG levels changed because of the vaccinations. The vet said that she could be exempted from them soon (I think just due to age), but she did recommend the lepto because of the area we live in. Our other (non-diabetic) dog, Dakota, did not get any vaccinations this year (his 3 year Rabies wasn't due yet either). He was having a problem with low platelet count at the time, and the vet thought it may be something auto-immune. She didn't want to give him anything to further mess with his immune system. She said that he'd probably still titer good for everything anyways, since he's always had yearly vaccinations.

To be honest, until Piper got diabetes and I started reading a lot more about dog health, I never thought to question the yearly vaccination schedule. I will definitely do more research on vaccinations for future dogs.
Mandy and Piper | 60ish lb. Border Collie/GSD Mix |DOB: Jan. 1, 2002 | Diagnosed: Sept. 18, 2012 | Insulin: Novolin, custom mix of R & N | Food: Diamond Naturals Adult Chicken & Rice dry topped w/ 4Health wet | Meter: Alphatrak 2 | Lives with: Dakota (the control pup) and Spencer (the naked rat)
Old 11-11-2013, 02:54 PM

the year Jenny was diagnosed with diabetes & cushings she was very frail and since she is an inside dog my vet told me to skip her vaccines that year.

She does go to the groomer every 6 weeks or so so I got her the kennel cough vaccine. The vet thought he was helping by using the nose spray vaccine vs. the shot and she got kennel cough from the vaccine. ugh.

Last October the dogs & I took a road trip to Indiana and I got worried about diseases or them getting away from me so I went for it and had all vaccines for Jenny. No issues knock wood. The vet tech then told me that crossing state lines with a dog who has not had a rabies shot is a crime. Jenny was a fugitive, she went to Fargo, ND all the time!

We get this year's shots on Friday.

I think lots of folks titer if their states allow it. Judi
Old 11-11-2013, 05:20 PM

Milo gets a rabies shot every 3 years because the law says he has to get it. He has been diabetic for a year now and his rabies shot is due next year. I'll ask his vet about getting the shot since I am not keen on them either. Milo has not had a distemper/parvo shot in years and I titer every few years.

We did get a new puppy in June and he got all of his puppy shots. I will get them again next year and then titer after that.

Carol
Old 11-12-2013, 05:08 AM

Jake and Jazzy get their shots every years. I have not noticed any change in Jake's blood sugar when he gets his. I have thought about doing the titers and might check into it next year when shots are due again.

Jake
10 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
novolin N 23 units twice a day. H as needed (as of 11-25-2013)
Old 11-12-2013, 05:32 AM

Luckily in England we don't have any compulsory shots so Eddie doesn't have any.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:03 AM

I think, at minimum, vets should be explaining to pet owners what the risks of vaccinating an unhealthy dog are. The definition of an 'unhealthy dog' is not defined to clearly state whether a diabetic dog is or is not considered to be healthy. However, if a pet owner is informed, he or she can take the risks into consideration and make an informed decision as to what is best for their pet. Some states give vets the opportunity to exempt a pet from the rabies vaccination if the vet deems the health risk is too great. NY state is one of the states that offers that opportunity for exemption.

I know the day Decker's diabetes was diagnosed his appointment had been scheduled for routine shots. It was only a few days after the appt. had been scheduled, but before the date of the actual appt., that the urination accidents started. And at the time, having had two large dogs, we were uncertain which of the two dogs was having the accidents. Decker was identified to be tested because he'd been drinking a lot. Kinser was never tested.

Not knowing any better, and not having a vet that was willing to disclose any information to provide us with an opportunity to make an informed decision, Decker was not only diagnosed diabetic, he was given a 3-year rabies vaccination (which he could have provided an exemption for in NY State) ALONG with a DHLPP combo vaccination and a lyme vaccination. His vet also failed to disclose how it's not recommended the 3 year rabies be given in conjunction with any combo shots.

The diabetes was diagnosed with one blood sample, which read 330, along with symptoms of excessive drinking and urination. No urinalysis was run nor was any additional blood work. Knowing now what I didn't know then, Decker likely was also suffering from high lipids, pancreatitis and hypothyroidism, in addition to uncontrolled diabetes, when he was vaccinated.

His records don't show where he was given the vaccinations. The reason it's concerning is because his vet shaved a patch of fur in his scruff area - to help us know where to administer his insulin injections. What we don't know, nor will we ever know, was whether or not he was receiving insulin shots in the same location he was given a series of seven vaccinations.

After we discovered all he had going on, and after the folks here helped educate us on vaccination protocol and options, we had determined that he would not be given any additional vaccinations.
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Last edited by momofdecker; 11-12-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:14 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

I pulled titers on Ali for years before she was diabetic and only did the mandatory 3 year rabies when the states allowed. Then after diabetes we were able to get an exemption letter from her vet and pulled the titer just to appease where we lived. But some places are more strict. I know Barb isn't able to get a letter where she lives in NC.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:28 PM

Abby always received shots, until she became diabetic. Perhaps I became more aware, but I have her titer now. North Carolina is very strict about rabies.... And she did receive her vaccination this past May. However, I think my vet had some second doubts, and did tell me that was Abby's last one. He stated because of age, if she is still around in three years, he would waive it.

I wish I pulled titers all along.

Barb
Old 11-13-2013, 05:25 AM

Ed receives no vaccinations - In office I handle him- when I can't they handle him - his vet and staff are on board