So overwhelmed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So overwhelmed

Hi, I'm new here. So I'm not new to diabetes itself (I'm a type 1), however my dog just recently got diagnosed 2 days ago with it and I'm very overwhelmed. So here goes..I was told my dog was in ketoacidosis and should be hospitalized (which is going to cost more than I can afford and I feel like a terrible parent), so they gave him 2 huge bags of fluid with electrolytes in it and insulin and told me the dose to give him, time, and how and sent him home with me hoping I could get it regulated. He was doing better today, more himself. I bought the pee sticks to test his urine for glucose & ketones and have a pet meter on the way, and his ketones are trace now (yay!) but sugar still on the highest colors. He's still panting a lot but peeing and drinking more normally. Good appetite and keeping everything down (mad he can't eat anything he wants )
    My questions is this: how do I know if he's actually getting better or not? Like are there signs he's coming out of the keto? I wouldn't know he was sick if he wasn't panting like he is (it is 80 in my house too). I just want to know signs to look for since it's the weekend of course when this happens. I don't want him to be in distress and I don't know it. I'd give him the world if I could afford it but right now I want him to be comfortable. Google gives you the bad signs but what are the good signs he might be regulating? Any support is appreciated, thank you for listening.

Re: So overwhelmed

Many dogs have been managed through ketoacidosis at home by giving fluids. Really the only other difference for approach is that insulin dose will be a bit more aggressive, at least at first, to get them out of ketosis and down into maybe the 300s.

Best way to manage your dog is to test blood sugar at home. You can start out with a human meter - OneTouch meters tend to work well with dogs - or you can get a meter designed for pets.

At this time, the only pet meter I recommend is AlphaTrak. It was a decent track record for accuracy. Some cheaper alternatives have come out since but they have not proven themselves, at least not yet, and some have seemed to function quite poorly.

To see how to collect blood samples, go to our page:

Learn to Test Blood Sugar

Usually a dog is very very ill with serious ketosis so if he's feeling better that's a good sign. By testing his blood sugar, you can see whether he's getting enough insulin to bring his blood sugar down to a safer range. You don't want it normal - just better, like in the 300s. That's usually enough to get rid of ketoacidosis.

Here is the ketoacidosis protocol for treatment by a vet.

Ketoacidosis

There is lots of information at the main website, http://www.k9diabetes.com

and at the archive section of this forum.

Natalie

Comment

I used a PetTest glucometer on my Pippi for a year and a half and it did really well for us. I also had a backup human one in case something went wrong with the PetTest one or if the test strips had not arrived in the mail. The human ones are not as accurtate, but will let you know if your dog's glucose is too high. I was always happy when the PetTest test strips came in because that one was more accurate.

Once you get your glucometer, you need to test him daily. My Pippi would act "normal" even if her blood glucose was high. If she would get into the 400s, she would urinate more, but that was the only sign. And the 400s are WAY too high!

I tested Pippi before each meal, fed her, then gave her insulin. If she was lower than I liked at feeding, I'd wait for a bit before giving her insulin. If her number was in a good range, I'd go ahead and give the insulin to her. I'd also check her before a walk as I didn't want her to go too low. You have to watch that, too. If she was low, I'd give her a little carb treat. I also tested her right before bedtime. It is all trial and error and takes a little while to figure out.

Once your glucometer comes, the first thing you need to do is get him regulated. Ideally, he should be between 250 to 100. A little lower is o.k., but I'd always get nervous when she dropped less than 100 just because I was worried she'd get too low. Pippi was usually in the 300s first thing in the mornings, but would drop throughout the day. Every dog is different, however, so you will just have to find out what works for your dog.

Once you get the glucometer, you can do a glucose curve and post the numbers on here so people can help you know what to do.

Comment

Thank you guys so much for the info! I'm so paranoid at this point, practically staring at him all day to watch for the worst. I'm thinking one more vet appointment to get some clarity on his particular numbers then hopefully I'll at least be able to keep him comfortable for the time being. He's so much different than before I took him in it's like I can't tell what's normal and what's not now. His glucometer (PetTest, I'm glad you liked yours!) comes by wednesday, the sooner the better! I'm researching homemade food for him but everything seems contradictory. One day at a time I keep telling myself. I appreciate any info anyone has, thank you again!

Comment

Just checking to see how things are going... hoping for good news.

Natalie

Comment

Working...
          X