Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   K9 Biographies / Stories (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Newly diagnosed (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8227)

Bigrone 08-19-2021 06:43 PM

Newly diagnosed
 
Newbie here!

My dog 35# beagle hound mix newly diagnosed. Dr. Started at 5 iu bid and has freestyle libre on for a few days and it fell off. Readings 200-500. Put a second and third libre on for just a couple of days as he was boarded at the vet. Moved him to 7 iu in the am and said he dropped too low?? He just Did a 24 hr glucose curve and showed 250-500 yet again? He has been on novilin n for about 6 weeks and now Dr. is telling me he is not responding to novalin n vs. escalating the dose and thinking of switching to lantus with increased cost. Iím seeing many post of lower weight dogs on much higher Iu of insulin, wondering if he needs 7 + iuís as she never game me his ďlowĒ readings and she questioned if the freestyle libre was worrking correctly. Not getting much direction from the vet and i purchased glucometer and test strips to start tracking bs. Any help or direction would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

jesse girl 08-19-2021 07:29 PM

Re: Newly diagnosed
 
Hi and welcome . If the numbers are correct a 300 point swing in blood sugar is fairly substantial so something is out of balance . It could be as simple as the dose being to much causing instability and lowering the dose may be helpful but any dose adjustment usually needs a week to settle and the body adapt . Bouncing around with a dose is counter productive. An imbalance between food and insulin can cause problems also

Lantus hasn't been a very productive insulin for dogs . The 2 that have had the best results is nph and vetsulin

You can do your own complete curves and based on the lowest number within that curve is how you determine dose adjustments up or down . Also as I suggested unstable sugar could need a dose adjustments lower

It took 6 months to get my jesse fairly stable and a year to be completely satisfied withe her routine . She lived withe the disease for 11 years and lived a normal happy dogs life withe some limitations

Its not complicated . You follow the simple protocols and stick to them . Having blood sugar from 100 to 250 is very good and you would like the swings under 200 but some dogs never get sugar that good and do fine . As long as they are not symptomatic they are probably fine

My attitude with jesse was to be the expert of her diabetes and I felt I accomplished that and I never discussed her diabetes with her vet after I felt there was nothing to gain from that as they could not put that kind of time to figuring out what was needed

It about being a detective and figuring out what works and doesnt

Most caretakers do get to regulation that is appropriate for their dog which can be very different from dog to dog

Bigrone 08-19-2021 07:38 PM

Re: Newly diagnosed
 
Thank you for the quick reply and advice!!

Riliey and Mo 08-20-2021 04:49 PM

Re: Newly diagnosed
 
good for you getting the handheld glucose meter. your all set to do a curve and take more control of your dogs diabetes.

lease post what food hes eating and how much thanks?

the sensor freestyle libre is NOT reliable. it reads too high and too low. its not accurate and in my opinion should never ever be used solely for diabetic dogs.

theres lots of info here on starting out your journey testing , doing curves.

a curve is testing blood sugar every 2 hours starting at fasting for a 12 hour period.

goodluck were here to help you!

Bigrone 08-24-2021 02:03 PM

Re: Newly diagnosed
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riliey and Mo (Post 168926)
good for you getting the handheld glucose meter. your all set to do a curve and take more control of your dogs diabetes.

lease post what food hes eating and how much thanks?

the sensor freestyle libre is NOT reliable. it reads too high and too low. its not accurate and in my opinion should never ever be used solely for diabetic dogs.

theres lots of info here on starting out your journey testing , doing curves.

a curve is testing blood sugar every 2 hours starting at fasting for a 12 hour period.

goodluck were here to help you!



Andy is 33# given 1 cup 7 am and another 1 cup 6:00 nutra chicken, Vet started off at 5 iu novalin n bid, moved him to 6 and sugars did not move, i suggested going to 7 and she said that was too much and the readings on the libre were low. I moved him to 7 iu bid and his sugars are 348,320 and a low of 220. Question can you move to 8 iu next week as he was on 7 iu for a week is doing better and acting more normal. I am testing 2-3 times a day with rely on meter and strips and his bloods are 340-225 depending on the time. The vet is telling me he is not responding to novalin n and wants to go to vetsulin?? I dont think the insulin dose are high enough, heís been diagnosed fir about 6 weeks now, is that enough time to achieve the proper insulin dose?? Quite honestly the vet is not much help and wants an insulin change, not looking forward to starting over. Ií m planning on going to 8 iu this weekend and monitor him! Any risk to go to 8 iu and see what it does for him?? Thanks for all the help!! I learned more on here than any vet

Riliey and Mo 08-24-2021 02:41 PM

Re: Newly diagnosed
 
how much is his amount of food according to his 33 lbs of Nutra chicken?

he might just need a food amount tweek.

you need to feed and inject every 12 hours for regulation.. your feeding every 11 hours. feed 7 and 7 or 6 and 6 okay!!!!

the starting dose for 33 lb is 8.25. he did go low on 7 at one point. the sensors arent that reliable. i.d like you to share and post your curve with the alphatrack meter please

going up .5 to 7 1/2 will lower by approx 50 lowering his 220 below 200 alittle risky.

going up to 8 will lower by 100 so that 220 is now 120..

test test test especially after eats and before you inject insulin. if he is lower than 200 after eating wait , keep testing inject only when hes over 200.

please post some curves and amount of food thefeed guide says for a 33 lb dog

Riliey and Mo 08-24-2021 03:06 PM

Re: Newly diagnosed
 
i would suggest you feed every 12 hours instead of 11 hours for one week.

food and insulin need to meet up and i dont think they are because your feeding every 11 hours.

then do a curve with the handheld meter alphatrack and post it here plesse

theres not enough data given till we see a true curve

Bigrone 08-24-2021 05:30 PM

Re: Newly diagnosed
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riliey and Mo (Post 168946)
how much is his amount of food according to his 33 lbs of Nutra chicken?

he might just need a food amount tweek.

you need to feed and inject every 12 hours for regulation.. your feeding every 11 hours. feed 7 and 7 or 6 and 6 okay!!!!

the starting dose for 33 lb is 8.25. he did go low on 7 at one point. the sensors arent that reliable. i.d like you to share and post your curve with the alphatrack meter please

going up .5 to 7 1/2 will lower by approx 50 lowering his 220 below 200 alittle risky.


going up to 8 will lower by 100 so that 220 is now 120..

test test test especially after eats and before you inject insulin. if he is lower than 200 after eating wait , keep testing inject only when hes over 200.

please post some curves and amount of food thefeed guide says for a 33 lb dog

Wow! Thanks for the response!! Im trying to get feeding as close to 12 hrs as i can as he is crazy to eat 1 hr before he is supposed to!! I donít know if i can reduce his food any more as he lost some weight iver the past month; possible food change?? The Vet said 7 dropped him low but that was the Libre which she questioned was working, and then in the same breath said he may not be responding to the Novalin n?? At 7 iu i am seeing a drop but just have been testing for less than a week whenI can get blood! Big thing is iím seeing a big change in his personality and energy. I plan on doing the full glucose curve this weekend. Again thanks for all the advice, glad I found this site!

Riliey and Mo 08-24-2021 05:43 PM

Re: Newly diagnosed
 
he could be dropping with the 11 hours. please 12 hours food and insulin. its dangerous to increase the insulin with this low happening.

you dont need to change anything else. include everything in the curve on the wkend and good luck!!!!!

Bigrone 08-28-2021 04:09 PM

Re: Newly diagnosed
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riliey and Mo (Post 168950)
he could be dropping with the 11 hours. please 12 hours food and insulin. its dangerous to increase the insulin with this low happening.

you dont need to change anything else. include everything in the curve on the wkend and good luck!!!!!

33 lb beagle mutt 8yr male
3/4cup 2x day Nutrasource chix rice
Diagnosed 7 weeks ago vet started on 5 iu novolin n
BG curve currently 8 iu after meals 12 hrs apart

6:30 am 317 Fasting wake up
8:30 am 311
10:30 am 314
12:30 pm 280
2:30 pm 326 ( small piece of chicken)
4:30 pm 290
6:30 pm 285 Before dinner

Iím seeing movement in bg but I still feel we are not
At insulin levels to drop bg into control?? Thanks in advance
For reviewing and any offers of advice


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2009, 2010 k9diabetes.com. All rights reserved.