What code to use with test strips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What code to use with test strips?

I have the Alpha Trak for Sparky. we ran out of test strips and so I bought the Freestyle Lite strips. The code on the bottle is 16. Do I now change the code on my glucometer to 16 or leave it at 6 as I had it for the Alpha Trak strips?
    Thanks,
    Carrol
    Carrol & Sparky (AKC Nuage Sparks a Flyin') Bichon Frise 10 yrs. old, diagnosed October 2010, 18.8lbs, Humulin N 5 1/2u twice a day; 2/3 cup Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight with 1 tsp. Blue Buffalo canned chicken meatloaf twice daily. REALLY likes: Romaine lettuce

Re: What code to use with test strips?

Sort of wish you had done a side-by-side test before you used the last AlphaTrak strip. I'll tell you what I would do, but this would be MY procedure.

All of my AlphaTrak strips have been code "7" (older strips) and I've run side-by-side tests between AlphaTrak strips, "old" style FreeStyle LITE. and "new" style FreeStyle LITE strips; I'd leave my meter set to "7".

If I were in your situation, without any AlphaTrak strips to compare, I'd test twice on the same blood droplet (as quickly as possible); first set to "6", then set to "16". I would not be surprised to see the numbers very close, but i could be wrong.

If you do this double test, please post back and let us know the results.
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9˝ years.

Comment

I copied the following from the FreeStyle Lite FAQs. Notice the "no coding" statement! If "no coding", why the code on the package? So confusing.

"The FreeStyle Lite system offers the following new features:

No coding – One less step
      World’s smallest sample size – Less pain with proven accuracy
      Small meter for discreet testing
      Both backlight and port light – Test even in low light"

OK, I've done a little more browsing and came up with this web page that shows the new style FreeStyle strip and the "no coding" statement. Next time I test Annie, I'll use the new style strips set to "7" and then to "16".
      http://www.myfreestyle.com/freestyle...st-strips.html
      Last edited by CraigM; 02-27-2011, 09:33 AM. Reason: added extra information
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9˝ years.

Comment

Hi Craig!
        Thanks for the posts. I would really like to compare but actually ran out of Alpha Trak strips. I had ordered some more but, before they could arrive, I ended up wasting some while testing Sparky. It is so difficult getting even that small amount of blood from him although I did apply warmth, I rubbed the area and "milked" the blood. That guy does not want to give it up!!
        The meter read pretty much the same numbers at 6 or 16. Maybe 16 is an arbitrary code that you would use for setting up the meter??
        Carrol
        Carrol & Sparky (AKC Nuage Sparks a Flyin') Bichon Frise 10 yrs. old, diagnosed October 2010, 18.8lbs, Humulin N 5 1/2u twice a day; 2/3 cup Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight with 1 tsp. Blue Buffalo canned chicken meatloaf twice daily. REALLY likes: Romaine lettuce

Comment

I telephoned Abbott this morning and asked why the "new" FreeStyle Lite strips have a code printed on the container if the FreeStyle meter (system) is "no code". He didn't really give a good answer, just said all new strips are being coded 16, but didn't say WHY. I then asked him, "So, the code number doesn't really mean anything to the user?" He answered something like, "No, all strips will be coded 16 but no change is required to the meter (FreeStyle Lite meter)." Didn't really answer my question, and I didn't mention that I was using the strips in the AlphaTrak.

I'll test Annie using an AlphaTrak strip, and FreeStyle Lite strips set to 7 and 16 later this afternoon.

Comment

Hello,

I just did some quick tests which probably won't be much help, but I'll post them anyway, hoping they won't just confuse the issue too much more. But first, just some caveats that we all know already, but I'm just covering a little here.

1. No 2 meters will test the same
            2. Using the same meter with the same test strips to test the same site in a matter of seconds can give different results.
            3. I've never gotten results as good with the FS Lite strips that Craig does, I wish I did.

OK, these were my results:

AlphaTrak meter coded 7 with a 7 code AT test strip: 127

AlphaTrak meter coded 7 with a FSL test strip, same site within 10 seconds, still coded 7: 95

AlphaTrak meter coded 16 with a FSL test strip, same site, about 10-15 seconds later, but the blood's getting starting to get dark and thick: 71

AlphaTrak meter coded 16 with a FSL test strip, but a new stick at the same site to get a fresh blood sample approx 30 seconds after the last: 51

That's the best I could do and it's probably different than you'd get with your meters and test strips, but it was interesting to do. The main reason I stay with the AT strips though is that at 127 I'm a happy guy, but at 51 I'm running for the syrup, so as Craig said, you need to do a side by side test with the two different test strips when you can and also test at different times and at different readings to see how much the readings vary from high to low levels. I'm typing fast because I'm also trying to keep dinner from burning, so I hope that wasn't too confusing.

I love this stuff and Bailey is a great sport (guinea pig) about it since he usually acts bored with it, just impatient for me to get it over with and give him his little bit of chicken. I think he's mainly put out that he only got 1 piece for all of that testing.

Comment

Pat,
              Annie says "I accept the challenge!".

Thanks for your testing. Sounds like the four of us (you, Bailey, Annie and myself) enjoy testing. My wife accuses me of torturing poor Annie, but she usually follows me to the testing area. Strange dog!

We will try the test in a few minutes.

Comment

Yes, I remember another discussion about the FSL vs AT test strips not long ago and I asked a question about a comparison and you grabbed Annie to do it. I think your wife had about the same response then too.

Based on how much trouble others often have testing, I almost feel guilty sometimes having such an easy dog to work with.

Almost.

Pat

Quick Edit: I also may get different results with a new/different container of the FSL strips. I'm just trying to use these up doing these types of comparisons. You usually get much closer results than I do.
                Last edited by pat3332; 02-27-2011, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Ouch! The results are not what I expected! Same caveats Pat mentioned.

Old FSL strip set to 7 = 221
                  New FSL strip set to 7 = 180
                  New FSL strip set to 16 = 119
                  AlphaTrak strip set to 7 = 283 (older alphaTrak strip, container marked 7)

I can live with the difference between the old FSL set to 7 (221) and new FSL set to 7 (180), but that is a hugh difference with the AlphaTrak strip! NOT WHAT I SAW BEFORE.

The AlphaTrak strips were purchased about a year ago with an expiration date of 5/2011. Wish I had test solution.

Poor Annie, more testing in her future! I think I'll also get some FreeStyle Lite test solution. Pat: do you think we can "tune" the FSL strips by using control solution at different meter settings?

Getting a headache.

Comment

I had the same thought Craig. I might try with the AT and FSL control solution. Those are a lot less painful to buy than the test strips. I have found that the control solution also gives different results with different strips from the same container, but as long as they've been in the right range, I didn't worry about it. I also would want to try with real blood samples.

Looking at both of our results, it looks like the higher the code went the lower the results got, so maybe try lowering the code on the meter next time also to see if the readings get any closer?

We'll be secretly testing in a closet to keep our family from discovering what we're doing before long.

Pat

Comment

just wanted to put a couple of messages between Craig and myself in here for continuity and I think it may be interesting, but maybe only to Craig and I.

Originally Posted by CraigM
                      Just ran another test because the earlier tests were a little on the high side. This was a test between the old style FSL and AT strips, both set to "7".

AT 3PM = 283
                      AT 5PM = 182

FSL 3PM = 221
                      FSL 5PM = 204

I wonder if the AlphaTrak 3PM (283) was a faulty reading? I remember I had to hold the strip next to the blood droplet for what seemed like a long time compared to the other strips.

Will test again before dinner (8PM Pacific) using both strips.

I've just ordered FreeStyle control solution.

Originally Posted by pat3332
                      I'm not sure. That wouldn't be abnormal for Bailey because he always drops between 1600 and 1900 when he gets fed. Still working on that, but I just try, not always successfully, to keep him above 100 when he's fed. Annie's readings may be more stable.

I notice that the 3 PM AT/FSL readings are farther apart (62) with the AT higher, then the 5 PM readings are coming much closer together (22) as they get lower, but the FSL then has the slightly higher reading. That may even change if you did it again, but either way, I could definitely live with a 22 mg difference in that range and lower. I've checked when Bailey has dropped into the 60's and the AT/FSL are within 10-20 of each other at that point, so I think the lower the readings get the closer they get.

The main times I really want the AT accuracy though is when he's getting hypo because for Bailey, 60 is the magic number. If he stalls above 60 he'll go back up, but if he goes below 60, I grab the syrup because he'll keep on going down.

I just tested Bailey again and the AT was 114 and the FSL 97. Not bad. Then I tried changing the codes to use the FSL strips first to 3, (58 mg) then 10 (61 mg), so in that range, code 7 still seems to work best for both strips. Once again, that may change at higher levels.
                      I've also tried the Relion mini, but it read even lower than the FSL.

Pat

Comment

This keeps getting better: 10:30 PM:

AT test strip: meter coded 7, 109
                        FSL test strip: meter coded 7, 98

Close enough.

Pat

Comment

Been having computer problems, hope this gets posted.

Annie's test between AlphaTrak (AT) and FreeStyle Lite (FSL) got much better as the numbers came down:

AlphaTrak (AT) at 8PM = 102
                          FreeStyle Lite (FSL) at 8PM = 111

Both tests were at code "7". Will have to buy some code "6" AlphaTrak strips to play with.

Comment

I'd like to compare the code 6's and code 7's. I'm still getting the code 7's from ADW and I'm not sure how to request the code 6 strips since I can't find the code on the outside of the box, just on the container in the box. It may be part of the lot #, or bar code, but so far a lot of Googling hasn't given me the answer I'm looking for. Maybe I'm just asking the question wrong.

I'm pretty sure no one is going to start breaking open the boxes for us and if they do know how to tell what code they are from the lot # or bar code, they'll probably claim they don't because they want to get rid of the code 7 test strips they have on their shelves first. Maybe someone else has already found the information and will be willing to share it with us.

Pat

Comment

In the comparisons I have done with Mildred in using both the AT strips, code 6 or code 7, along side the FSL strips they are comparable in the lower range readings but once the numbers start to exceed the 230 range the point span begins to widen, more so as the numbers go up.

I've simply learned to use the FSL strips when she is running her normal 100-200 range but with anything over that, and if I need to know more specifically, I will use the correct AT strips.

Normally it doesn't matter because if I see a reading on the FSL strip of, say, 250 I'm not going to do anything differently than if I was to recheck with the AT strip and find it to be 300 instead.

If she continues to run higher then I will revert back to the AT strips only until I solve the issue.

I know how easy it can be to become obessed with numbers and meter/strip comparisons...I've certainly been there in years past but find myself much more relaxed now with knowing I am watching trends.
                              Once I learned to relax I was able to rid myself of this 'obsession'.
                              Last edited by eileen; 02-28-2011, 06:38 AM.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Working...
                              X