Franklin has diabetes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Franklin has diabetes

I don't think there really is a guide since all of these dogs are so different!

you are doing such a good job monitoring Franklin and getting a feel for how he reacts I think you will come up with your own Franklin guide LOL

I know when Jenny was lowish and not eating .5 unit did nothing for her and her blood sugar would spike. So 1 unit seems to be the magic number for her unless she is really really low.

but she is a weirdo with her low cortisol and her tiny insulin needs right now.
    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Hi Tara,

Franklin's dose went up by .4u, to 4.8u caninsulin. I kind of went when I saw the 6.2 reading. My thought was even after the food rise he'd begin to slowly drop, maybe even back to 6 ish before the insulin wore off and he began to climb again. It seems to take 1-1 1/2 hours for the insulin to slowly begin to reduce bg with Franklin.

Half an hour ago he was 23.1/415. I wonder what tomorrow morning will bring

Hi Judi,

We'll get there in the end, I just don't want to screw him up in the process, as I know y'all understand. Thank you for your very kind words, I have all of you here to thank (and I do everyday) and the very patient and tolerant tour guide himself

What do you consider lowish for Jenny's comfort level?
      Jane and Franklin, 8 years, maltese, currently 6.4kg, Australia. Cushing's with elevated hormones dx'd 2009/2010, proteinuria, epilepsy, diabetes dx'd July 2012. Phenobarb 30mg bid, 3mg melatonin bid, lignans sid, caninsulin 4.8u bid (a work in progress). Diet- home cooked. Blind from cataracts January 2013, sighted from surgery February 2013.

Comment

Oh Jane you are so funny!! Your description of testing the 'new toy ' aka inject ease on yourself was so funny and doing dummy runs on Franklin!! Sounds like a great device CJ wants one !! But seriously the 6.4 reading is good - I think but I am only new to this- maybe some of the experienced members will tell you. I would be happy if cj had it.

My baby is sitting beside me on the sofa waiting for his din dins is I gotta go.

Thanks for cheering me up and so pleased for you and Franklin with the new gadget!!:

Hugs xxxx
        Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

That is awesome on the new device, Jane! Love the happy dance! You sound so much like me when I get new stuff to try out...I'm testing away on myself before I ever do the dog! LOL

And now you're actually a bit ahead of Craig in the 'device' game since YOU have a toy he doesn't! He's gonna be so jealous! LOL

Hugs! And kisses to that KISSABLE little man!
          Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Originally posted by Franklin'sMum View Post
            I just had to WOO HOO!!! here because you all know the troubles we've had and understand why I'm over the moon.
            Jane, that's fantastic!!! You get to be a pro at using it and we'll hit you up for a video of the process.

I spent part of the afternoon stabbing myself with a needle. thinking, oh that didn't go in, must've bounced off my skin. Nope. Further inspection, and squishing revealed it actually did go in
            Had to laugh at this. That's what I'd be doing too, LOL.
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hi Jane,

So glad you the inject ease arrived and is doing it's magic. I am sure it will only get easier for you. Isn't it a great feeling to get the injection done without a struggle. Wishing you continued good luck.

Jenny

Comment

Hi Anne Marie, Shellie, Patty, Jenny and everyone

Thanks so much for your encouragement and understanding that Franklin shouldn't be a pin cushion while I figure out how things work I'm glad that I'm not the only one who does things like that

Well, as thought I did jinx us for the morning shot he squeaked .Think I wiggled it while trying to push the plunger. I finished up and checked the needle. There was still a half unit in there. So I put the needle back in and got that last half unit in. Not a peep
                Oh, morning fasting was 14.3/ 257

Tonight's shot went better. I tried to do it without tenting, and Franklin moved, and the needle came out. There was a tiny spot of blood, but no squeak. Re-cocked it, by this time he'd finished his plate of goodies. Thinking that if I go and get some more, that pause might get us both worked up, so I sat and propped him on my lap. Got him (and no spilling!!!) Oh I really do love our new toy! I have my mum standing by to catch it on video when I'm better at it. Will happily post it/email it for uploading.

Franklin said thank you for his kisses, Shellie

Love and hugs
                Jane and Franklin, 8 years, maltese, currently 6.4kg, Australia. Cushing's with elevated hormones dx'd 2009/2010, proteinuria, epilepsy, diabetes dx'd July 2012. Phenobarb 30mg bid, 3mg melatonin bid, lignans sid, caninsulin 4.8u bid (a work in progress). Diet- home cooked. Blind from cataracts January 2013, sighted from surgery February 2013.

Comment

Happy to know things are getting easier for you Jane. Funny how they pick when to squeak and when not to - they really do know how to play the humans in their lives!
                  Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Cheering you on Jane!
                    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Thanks Holli and Patty

This morning's shot was easier still. I didn't tent his skin, just kind of pushed it so it sat higher. I can rotate areas better now too so that has to be better for him.

I have my camera lady lined up for the morning shot tomorrow. Video should be uploaded sometime tomorrow, unless he squeaks for it

Comment

Good to hear Jane

Comment

Oh I can't wait to see what this looks like! Will be anxiously awaiting! Tell Franklin I'll give more kisses if he's a good boy for the camera! Hugs!
                          Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Jane. I can't wait to see the video!! Franklin ..... A new movie star .... Next thing we know he'll be packing his bags and heading for Doggywood!! Xxxx
                            Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NRSM-_ZhVPU

Me thinks this will take you to the video

We're using the .5cc adaptor to match the needles, and the small spacer to limit the depth of penetration. The squeal sound at the end is from me.

No muppets were harmed in the making of this film

Thanks again Mum, love ya!

Comment

Well..poo! I get the main page I think but then when I click the video, it won't display!

Comment

Working...
                                X