Hurricane sandy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane sandy

Everyone who will be affected please stay safe and keep the babies safe too. I'm scared to death right now. Joey's in the hospital so my nephew is staying with me. Baking lots of cookies right now. I become so panicked I can't think straight, I've gotten about 5 hours sleep total these last few days.
    I'm Debbie and Nibbles is a 16yo beagle mix ~ Diagnosed in Feb. 2011 with Diabetes and Cushings ~ Currently at 11 units Humulin N ~ Eating Wellness canned food.

Re: Hurricane sandy

My son is in NYC so I'm very worried. Where are you
    Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Philadelphia
      I'm Debbie and Nibbles is a 16yo beagle mix ~ Diagnosed in Feb. 2011 with Diabetes and Cushings ~ Currently at 11 units Humulin N ~ Eating Wellness canned food.

Comment

my brother and sister live on the beach in manasquan nj and have mandatory evacuations they will be staying with my sisters family in freehold new jersey

hope it weakens and proves the experts wrong

payers to you guys in the path
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thanks jessiegirl, it seems like just yesterday that we had to pack up nibbles and bring him in the basement because of hurricane Irene last year. I built a pen out of cases if bounty paper towels for him to run around in because he was blind by then. Thankfully I still have a bag packed from last year. Went through and replaced the dog stuff for cat stuff. I had some mighty dog and dry food in there.

Comment

I was just going to post something about that as I am sure many of the K9 board live in the target areas.

They are also quite worried about southwest Ontario here.

Be safe

Louise

Comment

Debbie, praying that it will not be so bad. My family and lots of friends are in NJ, as that is where I am from. Be safe.....
              Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

We are on Cape Cod - expecting high winds and power outages. Hopefully it won't be too bad. Cooper has been known to make herself sick when there is a low pressure system. We were at the vet with her during the last hurricane!

Comment

Hope you all stay safe. Hugs
                  Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

As a hurricane veteran, I totally understand what y'all are going through, and I think this advice might be too little, too late, but here goes:

1. Turn your fridge and freezer down to the coldest settings now so that they stay colder longer.

2. Empty your ice maker into a bag and store that ice in the freezer, then let your ice maker cycle more ice

3. Fill containers with water and freeze them. The water is useful later, if you need it, but mostly it keeps the contents of the freezer cold to be surrounded by all that ice.

4. remove loose items from the exterior of your house- like potted plants, etc. to keep them from becoming projectiles.

5. Fill your bathtub with water. This water is for flushing the toilet if the water gets cut off. It can be used for pet water, too, if needed, but i wouldn't drink it.

6. Find your playing cards or board games.

7. Make sure your electronics are fully charged, and keep them plugged in until the power goes out. Every minute of battery life helps. If you have a smart phone, turn OFF the wifi once the power goes out cuz that can drain the battery.

8. Fill your car's gas tank. When the power goes, the gas stations can't pump gas.

9. Pick things up off the floor and put them on top of furniture or upstairs.

10. Take pictures of the interior of your house, every room, get the details. That's important for insurance claims.

Best wishes to anyone riding this out. I did it two months ago, and I totally understand your concerns.

BTW, a great website is www.weatherunderground.com Dr. Masters' blog is fantastic, as are the updates about the track of a storm, it's forecast, etc.
                    Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Cebe View Post
                      As a hurricane veteran, I totally understand what y'all are going through, and I think this advice might be too little, too late, but here goes:

1. Turn your fridge and freezer down to the coldest settings now so that they stay colder longer.

2. Empty your ice maker into a bag and store that ice in the freezer, then let your ice maker cycle more ice

3. Fill containers with water and freeze them. The water is useful later, if you need it, but mostly it keeps the contents of the freezer cold to be surrounded by all that ice.

4. remove loose items from the exterior of your house- like potted plants, etc. to keep them from becoming projectiles.

5. Fill your bathtub with water. This water is for flushing the toilet if the water gets cut off. It can be used for pet water, too, if needed, but i wouldn't drink it.

6. Find your playing cards or board games.

7. Make sure your electronics are fully charged, and keep them plugged in until the power goes out. Every minute of battery life helps. If you have a smart phone, turn OFF the wifi once the power goes out cuz that can drain the battery.

8. Fill your car's gas tank. When the power goes, the gas stations can't pump gas.

9. Pick things up off the floor and put them on top of furniture or upstairs.

10. Take pictures of the interior of your house, every room, get the details. That's important for insurance claims.

Best wishes to anyone riding this out. I did it two months ago, and I totally understand your concerns.

BTW, a great website is www.weatherunderground.com Dr. Masters' blog is fantastic, as are the updates about the track of a storm, it's forecast, etc.
                      One more "must have" item. Be sure to have enough wine to last 4-5 days. Your requirements may vary!
                      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Prayers and best wishes to those affected by hurricane sandy.
                        Stay Safe My Friends
                        Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                          One more "must have" item. Be sure to have enough wine to last 4-5 days. Your requirements may vary!
                          Well, of course! That goes without saying! .
                          Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

I'm in Maryland...really scary right now. Poor Ladybug, her bg's started rising this morning, reading was 298, tonight at 6 she was at 397. The weather really affects her. She'll be fine once this all passes.

But, I do have enough wine to last until Saturday!

To everyone affected by this terrible storm - hunker down and keep safe. You are all in my prayers.

Linda and Ladybug

Comment

Forbin was awful,in the storms. I always knew when one was coming. He would pace and his BG would soar
                              Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Working...
                              X