Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mik: 13 yr old Shih-Tzu

Hi Robert,
    So glad too hear things are a bit better for you just keep hanging in there.

I have been wondering how you were getting on.

Hugs to the three of you
    Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

Bob,

Am going to throw an idea out here. What about rotating your successful recipes to try to keep Mik and Mak from getting tired of them so quickly?

Not sure if either one will buy into this, but it might mean they don't "burn out" on a food so fast.

Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by We Hope View Post
        Bob,

Am going to throw an idea out here. What about rotating your successful recipes to try to keep Mik and Mak from getting tired of them so quickly?

Kathy
        I 'sort of' do that between the chicken, turkey and beef, but will try to incease it.

thanks
        Mik: ~15 years, 1 IU Vetsulin per 100 calories of Purina EN canned food. BG's coming down, wt going up.

Comment

Hi Robert,

Have you tried mixing the two meats together? That worked for Lady when she turned on her food after starting trilostane for cushings. Hoping you can find something that will work for both Mik and Mak.
          Luv,

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart

Comment

A lot of the problem I caused myself when Mik almost died from the diabetes. His BG was off the chart. Karen had trained them well. She found the very best vet-approved canned dog food that had every possible benefit.

In the morning, they each got a bowl. After X amount of time, the bowls were removed. No treats-never. At night, the same routine.

It took them no time at all to learn they better eat what's in the bowl because it's a lot of hours before the next feeding.

For 13 years, this worked to perfection. Vet was amazed at their health. No treats, scraps, nothing.

Then the diabetes.

Mik would not touch the food, and the vet suggested this, then that, then something else. He said the ONLY thing important was getting calories into him in any manner possible.

The baby food worked for a while, then the vitabones, then the cheerios, and the list goes on. Now they know they have multiple choices.

They only eat so much in the am, but do dabble during the day. So, I am beginning to leave only kibble, dog food, baby food, and a small amount of cheerios during the day.

They are slowly getting better and finishing one or the other, so that is all I leave them.

At night, they never snack. What I can get into them at dinner time is pretty much the end of it. After the insulin boost, Mik will often bark for food so his only choices are dog food or baby food.

The real food, skinless chicken breast, shaved turkey, chopped hamburger had a very short interest. They try it once or twice, then never again.

What fun....
            Mik: ~15 years, 1 IU Vetsulin per 100 calories of Purina EN canned food. BG's coming down, wt going up.

Comment

Bob,

So glad to hear that food time is somewhat easier for all of you!

Kathy

Comment

Hate to keep repeating myself, but no real change. Mik will eat something one day and never again. Lunch meat, shaved turkey breasts, slivered chicken breasts, cooked and diced hamburger, a dozen different baby foods and dog foods, kibbbles, etc etc etc.

He is a wee bit picky, eh?

Comment

Hi Bob,
                  I've been following your thread for awhile now but don't know if I've ever posted to you before. You are doing an amazing job for these little dogs, especially at this time in your life.
                  I've gone back over some of your thread to see all of what you've been trying to feed them and am wondering if you've tried vegetables or those special drinks (Ensure, etc). I've been giving Lady some very weak chicken broth drinks of water as a treat instead of her lettuce. (I just use lettuce as a special treat now).
                  I just have to share this wild idea.....you sitting on the floor with a plate of your own food....would they come to you and try to share? Would a game like this entice them to eat?
                  I'm not much help as I don't have a picky eater...hope you at least get a laugh out of my idea.
                  Jo-Ann & Lady

Comment

Originally posted by robertpri View Post
                    Hate to keep repeating myself, but no real change. Mik will eat something one day and never again. Lunch meat, shaved turkey breasts, slivered chicken breasts, cooked and diced hamburger, a dozen different baby foods and dog foods, kibbbles, etc etc etc.

He is a wee bit picky, eh?
                    I have terrible problems getting my dog to eat too, but at least he will eat something (or most of it) twice. I got him to eat for a week, every single meal. Once.

You're probably tired of hearing this, but you are doing an amazing job, you really are.

snow<--person
                    Devon <-- "no don't like it"

Comment

Originally posted by Dollydog View Post
                      Hi Bob,
                      ...hope you at least get a laugh out of my idea.
                      Jo-Ann & Lady
                      Thank you, and I'm not laughing at all! You would get a chuckle if I explained all the kooky things I've tried.

Never thought of Ensure, but I thought anything related to dairy products is not good for dogs. Am I wrong?

I am a HUGE yogurt lover, often 3,4,5 of those little Yoplaits [sp?] a day. I have been tempted to try a teaspoon on Mik, but again, lots of dairy. Am I completely wrong about dairy stuff?

Mik's current fav is Gerber's baby food, Chicken and gravy. Okay, not the best thing but not the worst. Best part: those little jars pack 100 calories so if I manage two or even three of those, he maintains his weight.

But even then, he will cautiously hover over the bowl like it's filled with acid, sniff it, think about it, sniff again, then ponder, and then dip his tongue and take about three molecules. He'll taste it, sniff some more, then risk about 5 molecules.

Once convinced that I"m not trying to sneak something else, he will finally eat. Honestly, it takes two or three minutes of sniffing and considering before the first real bite.

If I try another food that he sniffs and rejects, I have to wash that bowl with the hottest possible water and lots of soap and heavy rinse. If not, he will not eat his fav from that bowl. He must still smell the previous food.

Quite amazing, really.

But at the same time, if I put down his fav six inches away, he can't find it. I have to push it under his nose, tap the disk gently on the floor to get his attention, then he goes into his scientific analysis routine.

Once he begins to eat, I have to leave the kitchen. I mean, literally leave the room. He has figured out that his insulin shot comes right after the meal. So, as he eats, he will glance around the room looking for me. If am present, he stops eating and just goes into his "I am not eating any more" stance.

I used to pick him up before and after the shot with lots of praise, etc, but he's also figured that out. If I pick him up, it must be shot time. He panics.

Oddly enough, the shots are going very well. He hardly notices them, but once or twice over hundreds of shots, I have stung him ever so slightly and he remembers that quite well.

I leave a tiny 7 watt CFC bulb [Mr. energy conscious here] burning in the hallway. They are both attracted to light, even with 90-100% blindness. That is where they go as I shut down the house at night.

But every morning, they are on the floor in my room beside the bed. I admit that I find that very appealing [not exactly the right word, but you know what I mean].

However, brown dogs on brown carpets, and it's rather dark at 4:30 am. So, I have a small flashlight beside my bed that I use to find them before taking a step. They are never in exactly the same place each day.

Mik lost wt but has gained most of it back. Thank you, Gerber's.

Oh, and chicken and rise WAS his fav baby food, but now it's radioactive.

Comment

I am in awe of your persistence Bob. You are so dedicated to those two little guys. I still think they just like to see what you can come up with!

You could certainly try a little Ensure - maybe check with the vet before giving more than a small amount. I think a lot of raw milk could be a problem but things like cottage cheese are okay in terms of Dairy so I suspect the Ensure might be okay. Just stay away from chocolat flavors.

Natalie

Comment

get the diabetic kind. there is a ton of sugar in the regular.
                          Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
                            I am in awe of your persistence Bob. You are so dedicated to those two little guys. I still think they just like to see what you can come up with!
                            Natalie
                            What she said. Your boys are very lucky to have such a Pit Bull for a human.

Rick

Comment

And now a "commercial" to warn everyone when buying sugar-free products, to be certain the sugar substitute isn't Xylitol, which can be fatal to dogs:

http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Su...ducts_Warnings

http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/oct06/061001b_pf.asp

JAVMA News October 1, 2006

"The Animal Poison Control Center of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals has managed a substantially increased number of cases involving xylitol poisoning in dogs. Found in sugar-free chewing gum, candy, and baked goods, xylitol is a sweetener that can cause serious and sometimes life-threatening problems for pets.

"While it was previously thought that only large concentrations of xylitol could cause problems in dogs, lesser amounts of the sweetener may also be harmful, the center reported.

"Our concern used to be mainly with products that contain xylitol as one of the first ingredients," said Dr. Eric Dunayer, who specializes in toxicology at the center. "However, we have begun to see problems developing from ingestions of products with lesser amounts of this sweetener." Dr. Dunayer said that with smaller concentrations of xylitol, the onset of clinical signs could be delayed as much as 12 hours after ingestion.

"According to Dr. Dunayer, dogs ingesting substantial amounts of items sweetened with xylitol could develop a sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, loss of coordination, and seizures. "These signs can develop quite rapidly, at times less than 30 minutes after ingestion of the product. Therefore, it is crucial that pet owners seek veterinary treatment immediately," Dr. Dunayer said. He also said that there appears to be a strong link between xylitol ingestions and the development of liver failure in dogs."

For me, if it has xylitol in it, it doesn't come in the house; my way of making sure there can be no accidents with Toodles getting into something.

Kathy

Comment

That is amazing! The odd thing is that I chew xylitol gum after every meal, not the wimpy small dose of xylitol in most gum, but the high concentration variety that you have to buy at special outlets. [no cavities in 15 years]

Dogs aside, it's touted as perhaps the best cavity reduction product ever created. When sugary stuff in your mouth mixes with bacteria [or how ever it works] a chemical process begins at the gum line next to the teeth.

For some reason, xylitol neutralizes that chemical process to prevent the eventual tooth enamal decay.

This is by no means an endorsement of the stuff, but because of it's cavity reduction properties, we can expect to see more and more of this stuff.

I am going to read labels more carefully, but it would be easy for some well meaning pet owner to drop a dangerous treat on the floor.

Good advice, many thanks

bob

Comment

Working...
                                X