View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Jessie, Min schnauzer just dx-ed

Hi Kim!

I agree with you completely...why start Jessie on an insulin that is in short supply?? It seems that it would be a great idea to start her on NPH now rather than have to readjust her later, since she's just starting out! WalMart and Sam's Club sell Relion Novolin-N which is manufactured exclusively for them and it is about half the cost of the NPH's at retail pharmacies. I use Humulin-N simply because Ozzi peaked too early on Relion Novolin-N, but for most dogs, it is interchangeable. Regarding syringes, Relion also makes U-100 syringes which are also half the cost of the retail pharmacy. I still use those and having used both, they are the same from what I can tell (except for the cost!) They make different sizes. I use the 29 gauge 1/2" length because Ozzi is a big boy with lots of fur and found the shorter needles too difficult for him. In Jessie's case, she is smaller, so you might do very well with the shorter needles. Also, the shorter needles are 31 gauge (which has a smaller lumen), so that is desirable as well!

There are lots of dogs here on lots of diets. Personally, I am trying to manage Ozzi as humans manage diabetes, and I am using a low-carbohydrate, high-protein, grain-free product, Blue Buffalo Wilderness. I am very happy with that, but there are many here who use every other kind of diet successfully, from raw diets to every commercial dog food out there. If you can control her glucose with her current food, you probably don't even need to change, unless you want to. Others here will probably have more helpful suggestions for you.

It's super important to give the insulin and feedings twelve hours apart. Consistency is critical. I learned that the hard way! Ozzi used to free feed, and my vet told me to continue that, but it was impossible for me to get him regulated that way. Having changed to two feedings a day has changed his sugars in a positive way. Others feed 3 or 4 times/day. Alot depends on what you are doing now, and how Jessie's glucose curve goes. Is she having one soon? That will really be telling regarding how her body metabolizes insulin and how quickly it does or doesn't react with food.

Two important things regarding injections. The insulin can be painful. Ozzi yelped in the beginning. Then I learned about drawing it up in the syringe and warming it under my arm. That helps IMMENSELY to take the sting out! Also, the bevel (the opening on the tip of the needle, which "shines" in the light) should be UP when injecting. Those two things will make it easier for Jessie and less painful.

Congrats to your Dad for giving the shot...I remember how nervous I was the first time, and was sure I had screwed it up!! As soon as he's comfortable with that, ask him how he feels about learning to test her blood glucose!! There are lots of videos and resources here to learn, and I personally cannot imagine managing Ozzi's glucose without home testing. It's just like giving the injection...scary at first, then it becomes old hat....I promise!!!!

I test Ozzi's urine for ketones when he has high sugars. I haven't had a hypoglycemic event, but my understanding is that you want to rub a teaspoon of Karo syrup on the dog's gums (if unconscious) or give it to them orally if conscious, and then feed them.

Best of luck,
Kevin

Last edited by ozzi; 03-29-2010 at 08:42 PM.