hind leg weakness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How much spinach?

Daisy gets chopped spinach in every meal. Along with green beans, chana dal, split peas, turkey, chicken breast, pumpkin, etc. She seems to do fine on it. I use one pound of chopped spinach to about 4 lbs of food.
    Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Dosage with no food?

for some reason (hopefully not a bad reason) he didn't eat this morning. I gave him 3 units of insulin, his normal dose is 8.5. This was at 7:30 a.m.
      Went for a 30 minute walk at 8:00 a.m.
      Tried his food again, no luck.
      But now at 9:00 a.m. he seems a bit out of sorts.
      Does this happen on occasion? I'm always worried about the pancreatitis.
      His recent blood work and urinalysis was all good.
      Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Re: Dosage with no food?

What's his BG?

I hope it's not pancreatitis too.
        Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

his fasting this morning was 14.3 (255). He's been in the 195-250 range in the mornings. I was supposed to do a curve today as we expect he needs another half unit increase to bring him to the regulation we're shooting for.
          No vomiting or anything this morning, seemed energetic on his walk. Might just be him, he's quirky sometimes. Hopefully he eats his supper.
          Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

glad he seems ok. I swear they know when you are planning a curve!
            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

With Maggie, I could always kind of tell if it was pancreatitis coming on - any tenderness in the belly? She also would lick her lips a lot. It is supposed to be a sign of pain.

I don't know if you do boiled chicken with homemade broth. That was my go to if I even suspected it. She would always eat it and easy on the belly. You might try a little if you can.

Another thing that would happen with her and I think is common with small dogs - if she had no food on her stomach, she would be throwing up bile like stuff by afternoon. So, if you could get him interested in something small and easy, it might help.

I think you handled it perfectly insulin wise!
              Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Doesn't seem to be any tenderness, no pain indications. I think I'll wait for supper and see if he eats, although I guess boiled chicken wouldn't raise his sugar.
                No vomiting or anything yet.
                The only other thing it might be, his can food was slightly different colour, and while it doesn't seem spoiled, maybe a slight off smell or taste is enough to turn him off; he's picky sometimes. I opened other cans and all were the same. Not spoiled, but different than previous cases.

Comment

Well, he ate his supper, I gave him his normal dose, so hopefully it was just a one-off this morning. He does have to be coaxed more in the morning to eat, so I guess this morning he wasn't going to give in. He was playing outside after supper seems to be himself.
                  Past pancreatitis I guess will always have me paranoid when things don't stay normal.

Comment

Good to hear. That paranoia is helpful to keeping pancreatitis at bay - you have to watch them so closely.
                    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Glad to hear he ate his dinner and all is well.

I'm starting to think paranoia is the norm. You just can't tell what's going on with them sometimes.

Comment

Need help, morning numbers suddenly bad

I was close to regulation, with 9 units at breakfast and 8.5 at supper. That might have been tweaked, pending the next curve.
                        Last 3-4 weeks he's not been eating all his breakfast, just varying amounts each morning, so I have to guess at a lower morning dose; hence, supper fasting numbers have been not bad but not consistent.
                        He eats all his supper and gets his 8.5 units. Last couple weeks he's had mostly good fasting morning numbers for the first time.
                        But now the last 3 mornings his fasting numbers have been way high, 18 (325), 22 (400), & 22. And it doesn't seem dependent on supper fasting number.
                        So I'm wondering if his body is reacting to his evening dose, because it is higher than his various morning doses now. Is he having a somogyi overnite? Does a body need that consistent dose amount, morning and night, to be able to process it properly? Can dogs live on 2 separate doses?

Gotta figure this out because I'm sure he's going to not get back to eating his full breakfast anymore.

Comment

Re: Need help, morning numbers suddenly bad

From what I can tell, many dogs on the forum are doing well with different am and pm insulin.

Maybe his being fussy with breakfast has something to do with the summer weather. It's been pretty muggy here in the Buffalo NY area. Maybe the same in Toronto?

I know it's a pain, but an evening curve would show what's going on at night and you also might need to adjust there.
                          Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                          Diabetes: Aug 2013
                          Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                          Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

when i see a higher fasting with jesse my first choice is rebound

jesse goes through times of needing more and less insulin . i ended up giving her 2,3/4 units last night because she had a lower fasting at 95 . expecting her to be higher this morning she was 131 . normally she could get 4 to 5 units

i understand the argument for the rebound event as something that is rare or doesnt happen at all but i dont agree with that from what i see with jesse but thats my opinion . i think its a a response from the body with stored sugar and there could be many reasons for that including medical so i think the description is narrow and i think it should be expanded but that my opinion

the first thing i do is reduce the dose and see if that fasting number comes down if it does i will continue to tweak the dose .

now the inconsistent eating can have an affect on regulation and you may struggle a bit with regulation until that is figured . whether the appetite problems is a medical one especially if its a change from the normal routine or just kind a picky eater as you know my jesse only gets one meal so there are alternatives to the 2 meal routine

now things may just settle on there own my jesse can get off kilter for a couple weeks and then go back to normal . i think that maybe do to some medical problem that may have popped up and she got over it

you could always do an overnight curve . i have done some of them early in jesses diagnosis
                            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

some dogs need more insulin at night because they aren't as active. I think you are doing great. remember, perfection isn't going to happen
                              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Being we had his night dose pretty much nailed down, I can't see him suddenly needing a higher dose. This all seems to coincide with the varied doses I'm giving him in the mornings.
                                Today, he started at 22 (400), ate about 25% of his breakfast, and I gave him 5 units, more than half his normal dose of 9 units that we had him up to. Check him at 2:00 p.m. he was 13.5 (240), so I could have given him more insulin.
                                However, my theory now is that I should give him a fixed reduced amount each morning, whether he eats 10% or 50% of his breakfast. Then his body can adjust to that and not get all confused. Then hopefully figure out the overnite thing again. Gonna try a slightly lower dose tonite.
                                We all know consistent doses are important, and I've been trying to gauge dosage by his morning fasting and how much he eats. Goes against all we know about managing this in dogs. Duh. Dawned on me today.
                                I was trying to correct all the time when he was first diagnosed, and made it worse. Now I'm doing the same, figuring the reduced morning appetite is temporary, when it's probably not. So a fixed lower morning dose, maybe 5 units, and then maybe a bit of carb treats later if he needs it. And this assumes I get his morning fasting back to normal.
                                Probably need a curve in each scenario, so I know what 5 units does if he eats 20% or 50%.

Comment

Working...
                                X