Rosie - 12y/o JRT stomach issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosie - 12y/o JRT stomach issues

Hello Help! I am new to the site. I have 12 yr old JRT named Rosie who was diagnosed 6 months ago. I have an Alpha Trak 2 meter but I am going broke buying Caninsulin and strips for the meter!!! In Canada we can only get caninsulin and alphatrak strips via the vet and they sting us on the price and then there is tax on top.
    I read on this site that Freestyle Lite strips work well in the alphatrak meter. However I don't know what code to use. With Alphatrak strips the code for dogs is 35. But if I use Freestyle Lite strips in the alphatrak meter what code do I use?On the Feeestyle Lite bottle it gives the code 17. Is this for human blood or do I use this for the dog as well???
    Advice please! Thanks!

Re: Need help for JRT Rosie

Originally posted by Calicocalypso View Post
    Hello Help! I am new to the site. I have 12 yr old JRT named Rosie who was diagnosed 6 months ago. I have an Alpha Trak 2 meter but I am going broke buying Caninsulin and strips for the meter!!! In Canada we can only get caninsulin and alphatrak strips via the vet and they sting us on the price and then there is tax on top.
    I read on this site that Freestyle Lite strips work well in the alphatrak meter. However I don't know what code to use. With Alphatrak strips the code for dogs is 35. But if I use Freestyle Lite strips in the alphatrak meter what code do I use?On the Feeestyle Lite bottle it gives the code 17. Is this for human blood or do I use this for the dog as well???
    Advice please! Thanks!
    I would try code 7 as that seems to be an Abbott default code for dogs.

Question: do you have Walmart in Canada? Does Canadian Walmart sell human insulin (NPH--Relion novolin n) without a prescription? If so, hopefully you can talk to your vet about switching. Here in the states I pay $26 us for a bottle, and at my dog's dose, that's about a month.
    Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

I'm in Canada too, and Kumbi was on Novolin-NPH insulin for his entire life as a diabetic. It did very well for him. I bought it, and his syringes, at my local pharmacy. Lots cheaper than Caninsulin.

I used a OneTouch Ultra, then its successor, the OneTouch Ultra2, to monitor Kumbi's blood glucose levels. If I bought 100 test strips at a time, I could get a free meter, and always chose the Ultra or Ulra2 - ended up with lots of those!

Kumbi died of cancer, not diabetes; diagnosed 1 Sept. 2006, died 8 June 2010.

I used a computer calendar program to keep me on-track for timing - fed twice daily, gave insulin 30 minutes after feeding. Twice a day, then.

Glad you found us! - welcome to this magnificent forum on canine diabetes.

Sun, 3 Mar 2013 06:23:17 (PST)
      http://www.coherentdog.org/
      CarolW

Comment

hi and welcome understand the going broke thing

there is choice with diabetes we have been using a human meter for 3 years and works just fine we get strips off ebay for a substantial discount
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Hi - welcome to another Jack Russell Terror! I have 12 yo Maggie. I would definitely check into the Novolin N at Wal Mart. Some dogs do better on Novolin N rather than Caninsulin so that may be the case for Rosie.

I use the One Touch Ultra and buy strips on eBay. You could probably buy the Freestyle strips there too. Not sure on that one.

So, how is Rosie doing blood sugar wise? What kind of readings are you seeing with your meter? What are you feeding?

Amy
          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
            hi and welcome understand the going broke thing

there is choice with diabetes we have been using a human meter for 3 years and works just fine we get strips off ebay for a substantial discount
            Hi what code do you use? The one on the bottle of strips? We have walmart but every drug is by prescription only plus they will only dispense human drugs.
            Thanks.

Comment

the Novolin N is a human insulin but it works on a lot of dogs. I have read on here that terriers can be tough to regulate though.

does your vet have a lot of experience with diabetic dogs?

Tammi has 2 dogs that are diabetic and one has to use Caninsulin due to allergies. She found a place in England to order from that is actually cheaper even with the shipping. let me see if I can find her thread. Judi

this isn't Soaphie's thread but they are discussing it. Go to the last page http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4655
              Last edited by Judi; 03-03-2013, 07:10 PM.
              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

dont know the regulations in Canada most states let you but nph without a prescription and things you do need a prescription a vets scripts is good enough to purchase a humane drug

it maybe uncommon for them to see a person coming in for a dog but many human drugs are used for dogs and they just have not developed any protocols ask if they would accept a script from a vet . local stores can have some peculiar protocols mine does

as you can see carol did buy from her local pharmacy in canada maybe she could give some input if she needed a prescription

i am not sure what your asking for coding on strips jesses meter is not from walmart i bought off ebay its not part of the relion brand many different kinds out there hers actually has no coding
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Advice please! Thanks!
                  Here's a link to a discussion we had in December concerning FreeStyle Lite strips used in the AlphaTrak meters:
                  http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/show...FreeStyle+lite

You will see that my tests showed FreeStyle Lite strips will turn on the AlphaTrak2 meter, but the reading was a bit lower than AlphaTrak2 test strips. Code "7" was used with the Freestyle Lite strips.

If you try a side-by-side test with both types of strips, let us know what you see.

Craig
                  Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Hi what code do you use? The one on the bottle of strips? We have walmart but every drug is by prescription only plus they will only dispense human drugs.
                    Thanks.
                    We use human drugs on our dogs - the insulin most of us use is intended for humans. Be sure to check with them about whether they carry NPH insulin and will dispense without a prescription. I knew nothing about diabetes before my dog had it and I was shocked to find that you can get insulin in the US without a prescription. They store it behind the counter but you don't need a prescription in most states.
                    Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Hi I use urine test strips with Rosie. Today she had no trace of blood sugar in her urine x 2 but a trace of ketones. Her blood sugar using meter this evening was 196. Any ideas? Do.you think the ketones trace is anything to worry about? Not that I ever stop worrying!

Comment

I'm still new at this, but it is my understanding that anything above trace needs to go to the vet ASAP. So keep testing her, and if it goes any higher, get her to the vet. Here is an article that includes some symptoms to watch for as well: http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Ketoacidosis
                        Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

I would call the vet but also use another strip and test again: test blood and urine, and see where she stands. It could have been a mistake on the strip or false reading, or it could have been accurate so, test again and touch base with vet.

Comment

My vet seemed not to be too worried when there was just a trace, or even a small amount. Abby had some trace reading on those strips, and I wanted to bring her in. She stated that as long as the dog doesn't seem to have any OTHER symptoms, and do keep on measuring... sit tight.

Every vet... every dog is different.

Barb
                            Last edited by Abby's Mom; 03-06-2013, 12:21 PM.
                            Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Hi I use urine test strips with Rosie. Today she had no trace of blood sugar in her urine x 2 but a trace of ketones. Her blood sugar using meter this evening was 196. Any ideas? Do.you think the ketones trace is anything to worry about? Not that I ever stop worrying!
                              How old are your urine strips? Exposure to humidity/heat can affect them. You can generally keep an opened bottle for 6 months before readings may be affected.

How does Rosie's blood sugar typically trend? If she's having large drops and rises then into higher blood sugar, you may have periods where there's no sugar in the urine but then she's staying high later and causing ketones to build up.

I think it would be important to see how her pattern is looking to know why the ketones are showing up and whether her dose needs to be changed.
                              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Working...
                              X