Hello! Rolo and I are new here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hello! Rolo and I are new here.

Good news and bad news from our curve yesterday. I tried thought the green beans had no effect based on the urine test but I was wrong. I left out the evening snack all together yesterday and today and still got a massive spike

Saturday:
    0745 - 220 (+ breakfast, 1.0U Levemir, 0.2U NR)
    0945 - 157
    1145 - 146
    1545 - 212
    1945 - 398 ( + dinner, 1.0U Levemir, 0.3U NR)
    2145 - 306

Sunday
    0745 - 184 ( + breakfast, 1.0U Levemir, 0.15U NR- the drop yesterday was a little much)
    0945 - 169
    1145 - 121
    1745 - 185
    1945 - 375 ( + dinner, 1.0U Levemir, 0.3U NR)

Today's numbers were great, and if it weren't for that spike I wouldn't change a thing! Rolo has never had such consistency or such good numbers. Tomorrow I will start giving her dinner at 1745 with her NR, and leaving the Levemir until 1945, so the NR will cover the gap in duration (thank you "Using Insulin" for that trick). Luckily her night dose seems to be giving her adequate duration, judging from her morning fastings.

For now I am just going to keep the doses the same (0.15U NR and 1.0U Levemir), but I am sure I will have to adjust them now that they're not being given at the same time. Since I am going to be giving her evening Levemir at the peak of the NR, I want to make sure she does not get a drop from the NR so the Levemir doens't send her too low. I think the Levemir is what is causing the lowest number at 4-hrs post injection (146 yesterday, 121 today), so she may need a little snack before bed, but we'll see tomorrow.

I'll report back tomorrow with our results!

Grace

Comment

OH Grace! These look beautiful to me! Dang girl, I am proud of you and Rolo!

Comment

Thanks Anne, I'm pretty proud of us too! This is insulin 4 (and 5 if you count the NovoRapid) - we've tried Caninsulin, NPH, Lantus with no success, so I'm glad this worked out - we were all out of other options. Sometimes you just have to be persistent! I felt from day 1 this was going to be the right insulin, but I didn't want to be too optimistic since we didn't really have a good track record.

I know it will be a bit of a battle getting the NR to cover the gap - it needs to cover her food, and stop a 200 point rise. I will start conservatively tonight with 1/4U NR with dinner at 5:45pm and see where we end up at 7:45 for the Levemir. I don't think I'm going to increse the Levemir dose at all - she's pretty much below 180 most of the time. Plus, 1.0U Levemir keeps her steady all day even starting at 350-400 at 7:30pm, so it may bring her a bit lower when she dose not have that giant spike to contend with.

Grace

Comment

She apparently doesn't have the same response at night... looks like it could be related to amount of activity during the day that's cutting off the duration. So at night the two insulins together might work fine.

Looks really good though!

Natalie

Comment

Grace,
            That's great progress! Hoping you can fine tune the gap.
            Patty
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

I agree the numbers look really good, I only use vetsulin and need more advice before even thinking of using any other insulins (especially if using more than one). Very impressive and very happy for you!

Comment

Grace,
                How is "fine tuning the gap" going?
                Patty
                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Patty, we are doing pretty well! She is getting 1U of NovoRapid, plus her regular dinner (but no rice) at 5:30 - that is keeping her about even over the 2hrs. Her morning fastings have not been as great since we switched (250-300; before was 200-250), but if that's the worse thing, I can deal with that. I am going to let her settled until mid week, then do a curve, and up her Levemir if we need to.

Are you still thinking of switching Ali?

Grace

Comment

I am. My girl varies so much sometimes it's an effort to post on her. I'm working on an update to her thread. My vet is back and I need to get in touch with her. Tim (hubby) is away til Tues then away again in July. If I switch I want to do it in the time frame he's home.

I'm weighing the pros and cons this weekend
                    Patty

Comment

Grace.
                      How's Rolo doing?
                      Patty

Comment

Working...
                      X