Border collie Jack passed away on February 28, 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jack - new to my house

Ah Nat he's got that Niki look in his eyes if he's anything like her with the Border Collie in him, he'll soon be in charge, When i got Niki at 1 yr old she would be walking around with a huge log in her mouth playing with it, it must of been 3 ft long and at least 3 in wide, I could not get over it, and i could have her sit and throw the ball up in the air her way and she's just reach up and catch it. I'm sure he'll be really protective of you and hubby and will come around to even protect the cats if he has too being he will be in charge. I can't wait till you tell me how he talks back to you when he is mad, that certain lite cry bark, rrrrrr bark, rrrrr bark, where were you mummy!
    Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

He's kind of leggy. I'm thinking there might be a runner in him too. Will have to wait a while til we catch up on all the new-dog bills but eventually maybe we will do a DNA test on him, just cuz it's fun to see what we can find out. I think there's more than lab/border collie in there.

We have laughed a LOT in the past 72 hours. He's really fun to have around.

Though finally we tired him out. He's been snoozing at my feet for the past hour or more.

Comment

I know what you mean by leggy, they have that agility, does he have dew claws?
        Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

I'm so happy to read this! Congrats Jack, you got a great home!!!

When I got Lexi and Livi they thought their name was "No" and/or "Leave The Cats Alone!" Since getting Lily, Lex thinks her name is "Be Nice". LOL

I was going to mention baby gates. Baby gates can save the world!!! It's good to let the cats come to the part of the house Jack is in on their own terms and when they feel like dealing with him.

I bet you are hearing lots of little feet right now. I can picture his antics!

I picture him running circles and then bouncing off the couch. I'd hate to be an old cat in that situation too! My cats have the basement where they know they can escape the dogs and we have a gate between the dining room and kitchen that has been there for 5 years now. If I am in the living room then all the dogs have to be on that side with me. The cats have learned that when they hear "in the house everybody" that they can come upstairs and be in the kitchen or on the sunporch.

He should be very smart Nat! I bought a doggie doorbell but never got any of mine to figure that out. You can also try hanging a bell on the door that you use to let him out, he will associate that soound with that door and maybe pick up on making the bell ring to alert you?

I've also never had just one dog to concentrate on. It would be fun to work with just one at a time.

It's good he was good in his crate. I think that's good for any dog, no matter their size, to accept some time crated and be calm.

Good luck and have fun!!!
          Denise, Bogie (diabetic, cushings, now cancer), Molly (diabetic)
          Reba (Cushings) and the other 12 cats and 4 dogs.

Comment

Re: New baby today

Natalie - I'm SO GLAD you got another dog. I cannot survive, myself, without having at least one dog in my life. (Denise, I read Lily's escapades - lovely!) And Natalie, that's a goodly handful of dog you got there! Haha! Adolescent, possibly with some Border Collie; ha!

For any of you who adore dogs - that means absolutely EVERYBODY here - I have a suggestion. I've put many, many years into the study of dog-behavior and training. And I find that one trainer in particular has led the way to better knowledge of dogs, though she also drew on the work of the more careful, current ethologists; however, she also used her own lifelong talents, experience and meticulousness - and miles and miles of videotape - to study how dogs talk to each other, and to any other living creature.

This woman is Turid Rugaas, of Norway. She wrote a few little books that have the very essences in them concerning dogs and their body language and behavior. She ALSO developed rather simple techniques for teaching dogs, all the while communicating and making use of how dogs talk among themselves and to us, their humans. She works with and teaches dogs based entirely on who the dogs actually are. That is the salient secret of her success with dogs.

I just changed my signature to link to a page that lists Turid's works in English. I recommend them highly. If you can only get two, do get the book on calming signals, and the accompanying DVD (or video) - or ask your local library to get them. But the other books are also of unending and great value; they help you learn a lot more about dog-signals and behavior, which in turn helps you make decisions from moment to moment, and also, helps you help a new dog adapt to your family.

There are a lot of email lists (mostly Yahoo Groups) about dog-training. The one I like the very best of all of them is dedicated to over-reactive dogs; however, it also has excellent information for any dog. You can find that one here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pos-4-ReactiveDogs/

I'd love to see any of you there along with me, though usually, I'm too busy to post, but sometimes I do, at least for a short stretch. If you'd care to join me there, I would just love that! When you apply, you may use my name if you like (Carol Whitney).

You don't have to download mail; you can set yourself to "No Mail," and read on the web. (I prefer to download mail, which indicates how much I treasure THIS forum - where everything is online!)

Fri, 17 Oct 2008 07:10:39
            Last edited by CarolW; 10-17-2008, 07:13 AM. Reason: fix typos - again! haha
            http://www.coherentdog.org/
            CarolW

Comment

He is soo cute Natalie!

I have been looking on the website www.dogsindanger.com but it has been our busy season (3 more days then I am closed for the season - I still work but I don't have 40 employees to deal with. I only have 2 full time employees besides my husband and myself.) If I do get a new dog it will be after December when we get back from the convention.

I really want my daughter's dog Dahli but she won't give her up. Besides there is already such a tight bond there that Dahli would be devistated. But she is such a cool dog and so loveable.

I do have a new stray cat that one of my employees begged me to take in. I thought I could find her a home but she was pretty mangy and not very pretty but she is looking better and as sweet as can be. She must have been an indoor cat. She won't even let you take her near the door and never goes out when the door of the office is propped open.
              Last edited by bowens2; 10-17-2008, 07:35 AM.

Comment

It's so overwhelming to look. We did have a few criteria, which made it easier. We knew we didn't want a baby puppy and, as much as we'd like to help a senior, we just weren't ready to get a dog we knew would not be around for very long. Too soon after Chris for that. Someday we hope to provide a senior with a home.

A couple of years ago Jeff saw a dog on a cover of a magazine... Bark maybe... who looks a lot like Jack. He asked me to scan it for him so he could put it on his computer. So there was something about the border collie look that appealed to both of us.

I can also see shades of Chris' expressions in that picture of Jack...

There were other dogs available at the same time, though they actually did not have many medium to large dogs on their adoption page (and even fewer that could be adopted to a home with cats) that night. But we both focused on Jack right away.

Jack likes to sleep with some part of his body on top of a foot. Right now he's under my desk with his chin on my foot after a walk this morning.

Betty, I was laughing about how you'd really like to have Dahli!! We felt like that about Hank, the stray we had for a few days a couple of years ago. I wanted so badly to keep that dog! But we couldn't do it. Chris would have been miserable. After the lost boy we had here a couple of weeks ago, I was lamenting that we always seem to wind up having to give up the sweet animals we find. Pout, whine, feel sorry for myself... but Jack is extremely sweet and we got to choose him!

Hope you can find just the right one to add to your household Betty. He or she would be very lucky to wind up with you.

How is Monk?

Natalie

Comment

Gosh Niki does the same thing, always has to have her paw on my foot, she's done this since I brought her home, my husband had noticed it. It's most of the time her paw, but sometimes her head with her baby toy.

Now lets see if when you are sitting next to him he takes his head and puts it under your elbow and throws you arm around his neck!! Like your arm is a toy. lol

If i think of it I'll post the pic of it

Comment

Dolly, I'd love to see pictures!!

Today, we took Jack to a dog park in the city where the SPCA he came from is located. A woman stood up, gave him a long look, and came over and said "Is this Bo, now Jack?" She had pulled Jack as part of the SPCA from his previous home!!! And she had gotten a copy of the email update I sent to the SPCA so knew about his name change.

So we got a fuller story about his history. Including that he was being terrorized by a pomeranian in that home and was so frightened of dogs when the SPCA first took him in (his owner was listing him on Craig's List) that he was actually dog aggressive in defense. I'd never have guessed that seeing him now. They did a great job of calming him down and he played well. One female bully breed was a little pushy and he did eventually get annoyed with her. His response was to continue to poke at and try to dominate her, though she outweighed him at least 50% and could just give him a shove and be done with him.

This information has also helped explain his reaction to cats. When they get aggressive, he gets very agitated.

The Gentle Leader harness is working wonders. He really hated the headcollar version and it was very hard on his nose. But the harness works perfectly and he's been on several long walks with it.

Signed up for Basic Obedience class starting at the beginning of November. I think he will enjoy it. If he does, we are considering taking him to an agility class as he's leggy and very very fast and I think he'd like the mental challenge.

Comment

Hey Natalie - I was so looking for an update on Jack! Isn't it nice to get a background on him? I am so glad to hear that he is fitting in well - how are the kitties fairing? Got gates? Jody

Comment

Natalie, he is adorable. He has such a gentle look about him. Albeit he's full of energy, I'm sure that he will do little things that will remind you of Chris and make you smile again.

Hopefully the cat's will adjust to the "chase the cat" games. TJ still does it every morning, but I think Smokey looks forward to it.

((Hugs)) to the new addition Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
                          Signed up for Basic Obedience class starting at the beginning of November.
                          Natalie - before you actually take Jack into a class, please watch one or more classes given by your trainer. If corrections are used (jerking on leashes, scolding the dog) - I'd ask for a refund, and find another trainer. These days, the "positive trainers" have developed punishment-free training methods, and those work best with ANY dog, without risking emotional damage to the dog.

If you're in a fairly well-populated area there is probably more than one good trainer somewhere not too far away from you.

Here's a lead to punishment-free training; you'll find others as well on my web site; many are linked to from the following page:

http://www.coherentdog.org/nopunish.php

Jack is SO GORGEOUS, and I just loved it that you were able to learn more of his history, Natalie. After being here something over a month, I know for absolute certain that Jack now has only the very best of homes - and DogMums! He is a wonderful tribute to Chris's memory.

Mon, 20 Oct 2008 13:28:54
                          http://www.coherentdog.org/
                          CarolW

Comment

Hi Carol,

It's a positive training only class put on by the SPCA. Just five people per class too. And we have an orientation before bringing the dogs.

Natalie

Comment

He'll love the agility class, you will be so proud !!

Comment

Natalie,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! He is so adorable - I love that face. So happy for you. Hugs to all of you.

Luv,
                                Lynne and Lady
                                Luv,

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart

Comment

Working...
                                X