No announcement yet.

Newbie needing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think we are near the end of journey and I’m pretty’s sad about this…
    Max is showing signs of being totally senile, but still loves a roll in the grass!. That said, he got lost under my bed a few nights ago and it was a challenge coaxing him out! He’s also developed a fear of the previously known things in his life…
    He would always respond to my voice, but doesn’t seem to hear me anymore.

He is experiencing lots of confusion about the floor plan, which he knew very well previously.

I’ll do what I can, but the rest is up to him and he has lucid moments, but also forgetful moments in which he goes into a panic attack and gets terrified…

sadly very confused….
    Donna

Comment

• This is what my Jesse experienced on the back end . It's called k9 dysfunction . it does seem to show up in diabetic dogs . I suspect the higher sugar In the brain . I was part of a k9 dysfunction group on facebook . It was helpful on that journey . It took some time for for me to let her go as physically she was ok and kind of present as far she new who I was .
      She still enjoyed her dinner but struggled to keep the food in her mouth . What a mess but I would help her .
      She would walk in circles and get stuck in corners but to me she was still Jesse . Others might think what our they doing .
      I could still did short walks which got her off the circling .
      Sleep cycle really got out of whack and that was exhausting. We went on a final camping trip . Used a stroller to get around and smell nature . She was a hit with hikers coming over to say high to her . Let her soak in the river and lay by it's side in the sunshine
      A couple weeks after that I let her go and even then she would do a really dance and say I am ok .
      There is medication that can soften symptoms which makes what time is left be more present but I was late to discovering that but she lived very well within her moment .
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

• Had a terrible scare this morning… Max fell down the stairs - actually rolled down them… He seems okay, but he scared the crap out of me!
        Out other dog is having a bout of pancreatitis, so there was an urgency to get him outside. Max was acting squirrelly instead of following my lead and very unsure of himself. Im usually just a few steps in front of him, but due to the urgency of the other dog, was well ahead of him and watched in horror as he rolled down the stairs… Thankfully, the wood stairs are pretty well padded with carpeting, but still…
        Our vet is pressuring us to do another senior blood panel on him, but honestly, I don’t know what benefit that would be for him?
        Donna

Comment

• Jesse slowly struggled with stairs until she reached a point that she would not use them . Which was fine I would carry her . She also tumbled a couple times . Glad your pup is ok .

Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

• This is such a hard time for you and Max… I’m sorry. And a dog with pancreatitis. You all are dealing with more than your share.
            Not sure what a blood panel will tell you. Ask the vet why it’s important? Likely to change anything you’re doing now?
            We are thinking of you and hoping for better times.

Comment

• That’s pretty much my point to the vet. He’s on palliative care now. I don’t care what his T3/T4 comes back. If he’s in kidney or liver failure, so be it - we’re not going to treat anything at this point… the cost is over $500, and it’s not going to change my treatment plan for him, so why would I do it?
              the pancreatitis attack came out of no where! We’ve known he’s had acute pancreatitis for over a year, but has had no issues on his prescription food, until he just did…
              Donna

Comment

• We had to forfeit Thanksgiving this year as my brother’s dog had kennel cough, although I worried about the new respritory disease coming out too. Not a big deal, but as we age and I see my kids less, and my brother less too, I’m thinking this isn’t a good situation….
                Max has become more and more confused and like Jessie, I’m thinking we are dealing with dementia…
                Donna

Comment

• It's a difficult time . Jesse came with me to help take of my mom on hospice at my brother's house and her dementia was pretty advanced . She would spend her waking hours circling and even in the car driving 7 hours to my brother's she wanted to circle . It made it challenging to figure when to let go . She wore a diaper . I had to help her eat as food would fall out of her mouth as she seemed to not know how to chew .

The interesting thing she remained Jesse . She recognized me and who she was and why I kept her in a form of functional hospice . She was better than my mom who was bed ridden . I still could take her on short stroll and I did use a stroller once . For me it came down where she did not sleep at night . She had such a strong desire to circle and she would get stuck in corners and obstacles because she could only go one way . She would also cry maybe out of frustration. It was far more difficult than diabetes because I could not fix that .

It is a progressive disease . I think for Jesse was the time she started seeing ghosts and may have been a 2 year process . I may have let her go a year after her circling began and the last 2 months were pretty rough . No sleep for either of us . Fortunate I was not working so I could focus on her and grab some naps . As I suggested k9 dysfunction forum was helpful but it's difficult to read the comments . Now some had some success with medications reducing symptoms. Especially in the early stages . I did not go down that path .

Comment

• We went to the vet on Friday and I stated that we were only doing palative care at this point. The vet agreed, he’s deaf as well as blind. I’ll continue his insulin, heart worm preventative, but no more diagnostics, as we are not treating new conditions.
                    Donna and Max the Corgi

Comment

• That makes complete sense and similar to what I did with Jesse . With her having dementia it was not something that took immediate attention. There would be no proactive treatment or diagnostics for anything else that popped up Continue insulin therapy and keep her comfortable the best we can until we reached a point to let her go . It was not a terrible time . Mostly she was ok with her status until the very end and that when I new it was time .

Comment

• You know how they always say: “You only get today once?” To that, I say: “Thank heavens!” (Tomorrow will be better, friend!)

your doing great Donna
                        hugs for Maxi
                        Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                        20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

• Carpe Diem! Seize the day!
                          we are doing just that, friends! I’ve made my list of the most important things in Max’s life and when he looses interest in them, I’ll know it’s time…
                          I love him to death, but with those words, I love him to death too…
                          Donna and Max the Corgi

Comment

Working...
                          X