Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:03 PM

Default Sweet Bob the Yorkie has passed 08.08.13

Dog's name, breed: Bob the Yorkie, 10 years old
Dog's weight: 8 lbs.
Diet: Hills A/D critical care and Pedialyte (pushing it right now with a baster-type thing, as he won't eat on his own.)
Insulin: Humulin
Number of units per injection and injections per day: 3 units, twice per day
Brand of BG meter if home testing: ReliOn Confirm right now, because I didn't know what I was doing.

Bob was just diagnosed last week. It's been a rough week. He got very sick, very fast, and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, diabetes, and possible renal failure all at once. After 4 intense days of subcutaneous fluid therapy at home, his BUN's, creatine, and phosphates have all returned to near perfect levels, and now I'm just working to get his diabetes well managed.

I have a lot of questions, but I'll just use the search function and read until I can gather my thoughts.

This is a wonderful resource.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:38 AM

Default newbie needs some input

Good morning, people.

Bob (Yorkie, 8 lbs.) was diagnosed last week, and he started 3 units Humulin 2x per day last Saturday. His BG was over 500 at the time. On Monday afternoon, the vet checked and he was in the 380's. She told me to increase to 4 units 2x per day.

Yesterday AM he had a mild seizure, and I took him in. His BG was 70 on the AlphaTrac, and 53 on the follow up blood work. The vet gave him a couple shots (as in shot glasses) of Karo to up him a bit, and told me to lower him back to 3 units.

Last night his BG was 74 at 6:00 pm and 76 at 8:30 pm. He ate his dinner (he's being fed by a baster at the moment because he won't eat--Hills A/D and pedialyte--and I gave him his 3 units (with misgivings--I'm really new to this, and I was worried about giving him 3 units when he was already at 76 at the end of a curve, but I'm just not experienced, and I don't know how much his meal offsets the insulin dose).

Anyway, at 11:30 pm (bedtime) his BG measured 32. I gave him a shot of Karo and a shot of food (again, as in shot glass, not injection), then slept on needles with the Karo syrup on the nightstand.

He seemed to do pretty well through the night.

His BG just measured 91, pre-breakfast and shot.

Should I be giving him the full 3 units when his BG is already so low at the tail end of the curve?

I have more questions, of course, but this is the most pressing at the moment. I'd sure appreciate some feedback.

Thank you,

Craig (& Bob)
Old 11-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Default Re: newbie needs some input

Hi Craig,

In my opinion, 3 units was too high of a dose to start with an 8 pound dog - I would have started him on 1 or at most 2 units. I hate to see a dog started on more than 1/4 unit per pound. Even 1/4 unit per pound is often too much.

Are you home with him today?

I think another low blood sugar episode is likely if he was given 3 units and I would feed him another meal to keep that from happening.

If his blood sugar is under 100 tonight at dinner, I wouldn't give him any insulin at all to bring his blood sugar up. Then at breakfast, if his blood sugar is above 200, I would start with 1 unit of insulin and see how he does with that.

You want to find a place where you can give him a consistent amount of insulin and have no low blood sugar even if it's higher than you would like it to be. Once you find that level, you want to wait at least five days for his body to develop a longer term response and then any increases should be in half unit increments at home. Ideally maybe get the syringes with half unit marks and then you can increase in 1/4 unit increments.

Is he eating a normal amount of calories?

Is the eating problem from changing to a prescription food for the diabetes?

Natalie
Old 11-19-2010, 10:29 AM

Thank you for the response, Natalie.

I already gave him his morning dose, albeit about 2.5 units. I just couldn't pull it to 3. I wish I'd read your response first, but he was due, and I didn't know how long it would take to get some feedback.

He hasn't eaten on his own volition for 8 days. He just got very sick, very fast. The high BG--although crucial--was kind of second priority to the high BUN's, as the vet was very concerned that his kidneys were shutting down. Fortunately, we caught that early enough, and his kidney indicators are all back to normal.

So now the full focus turns to regulating the BG.

I'll watch him closely this morning. I'm testing every 2 - 3 hours today, and I've got food and Karo at the ready.
(I'm very fortunate to work from home during the week.)

Thanks again for the great feedback.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Craig & Bob,
Wow! You guys have had some excitement (understatement).
Just wanted to say "Hi" and welcome you to the forum. Lots of good info, and people here. I read all the posts everyday, and will follow Bob's thread.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:48 AM
Administrator

I would go ahead and feed him a mid-day meal - better to pre-empt the low blood sugar than to set off all of the crisis hormones that go with a low.

Every time low blood sugar occurs, the body draws on some of its glucose reserves to help reverse it. Repeated low blood sugar can exhaust those reserves, leaving his body unable to respond to lows in the future, and the hormones involved can make the blood sugar unstable.

Do you think he would take some more food now?

With this very scary episode he went through, he could either need a lot less insulin as he recovers or even need none for a while. There are rare instances where a case of severe pancreatitis, for example, can cause diabetes temporarily that resolves once the pancreas heals up.

I think I would give him a couple of shots of food today until dinner time since he had a nearly full dose of insulin. Maybe about the same interval as you're checking his blood sugar.

Natalie
Old 11-19-2010, 11:00 AM

That's exactly what I'll do. Thank you.

I think he'll allow another baster-full of food right now.

Actually, he has no choice in the matter. He's in diabetes boot camp at the moment, and I'm the drill sargeant nightmares are made of...

okay, not really, but I'm trying real hard. I'm usually a total pushover.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:10 AM
Administrator

LOL... with a face like Bob's, who wouldn't be a pushover!
Old 11-19-2010, 12:33 PM

Welcome,

Craig and Bob You certainly have had some excitement and stress the last few days

Bob is a right wee cutie, I have not a lot of input Craig as you are getting plenty of advice..........this is the best forum on the internet.

Natalie Peggy and Patty are all great with their support and a wealth of wisdom on diabetes...... as are a lot of the others so you have certainly came to the right place

I will be following your thread and once again a nice big welcome.

Marg
Old 11-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Just wanted to say hi and welcome to you! What a totally adorable picture of Bob

I'm also impressed you're home testing already. It's obviously been invaluable!
Patty