Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Mickey and home testing

Oh - I hadn't thought of that - pinching and the blood. OK - I'm definitely going try it with the lancing device flat against him and I'll try it at the #4 as well. I'll hold off on doing it manually with the 26 gauge lancet. We are going to do this again around 2:30 pm or so, so we don't stress him out. If the #4 doesn't work, we'll increase it again, but try tomorrow.

Mikayla - I think the soft clix goes up to 11? Although mine doesn't show that on the device, it shows up to five. Do you put that extra plastic piece on the device?

Thank you much!

Last edited by Mickey'sMom123; 03-20-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'sMom123 View Post
Mikayla - I think the soft clix goes up to 11? Although mine doesn't show that on the device, it shows up to five. Do you put that extra plastic piece on the device?

My soft clix only goes up to five, too.
Well actually it will click one more time past five so that
would be 5.5
No, I have never put on the clear plastic piece.
Forgot about it actually, so I guess we don't need it.
Sasha mini-schnauzer, age 9 (8 at diagnosis), weight 14 (originally 18 lbs) Diagnosed 12/10, Humulin N, beginning dosage 3U, currently 5U since 1/03/11, increased to 6U 4/4/11, increased to 7U 4/14/11, increased to 8U 4/27/11, increased to 9U 5/31/11, increased to 10U 7/1/11
Old 03-20-2011, 11:19 AM

The one touch ultra lancing device goes up to 9....so #4 would be about 1/2 way...
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:22 PM

Well, I failed again. This time once I got the lancet into the device, it wouldn't close (the top just won't go back into place - I had it perfect before, so I don't know if I broke it, or what). I tried manually with the 26 gauge, and once again, not enough blood. I have the Alpha Trak Lancing device that came with the meter, and may give that a go tomorrow. I am so disappointed that I'm having so much trouble with this. I tested earlier with the keto-diastix to make sure still no ketones, again (there weren't any), and he's still up there with the glucose showing up in his urine.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Some people I know who used places like the base of the tail and an elbow callous would lance two spots very close together and let the two drops of blood pool together to give enough for a test.

Another used to twist the lancet while doing the lancing.

Also, try moving the lancing site around. Even on an area as small as the lip, there were very specific areas on Chris' lip that bled well and others that didn't like to bleed at all.

You will get there - be patient with yourself and the process. Keep experimenting and you will find something that works for you.

Natalie
Old 03-20-2011, 02:45 PM

Don't get discouraged, it just takes time, practice and finding what works for you. I doubt that you broke your lancet device, but they only go together one way. Everyone has found the way that works best for them. I use to use the lancet device, but doing it by hand is more reliable and easier for me.

When doing it by hand I leave the area flat and then quickly jab all the way in and out while petting him. Sometimes I will stretch the skin a little so it's tight. After, if I need a little bigger drop, I gently press on each side of the puncture to get a little more blood if necessary, but don't squeeze too hard. The AlphaTrak only needs a tiny amount of blood. Just touch one edge of the test strip to the blood drop and wait for the meter to beep before moving it away from the test site. If necessary to do a second stick, you can add blood to the test strip for up to 2 minutes, just be sure to add it to the same side of the test strip you have already used.

I have a feeling that you are possibly being a little tentative about the lancing for fear of hurting Mickey. If using the lancet device, I press firmly into the site before triggering it. By hand, I make one quick jab all the way in and out, not a little prick. If it hurts Mickey, he will let you know, if he doesn't react, you will have learned something from it either way. All part of the learning process.

Trying once and then waiting so as not to stress Mickey too much at once is a good way to go. Eventually, you will get that first drop of blood that gives you a reading and from then on, each one becomes easier. Even now, I still have times when Bailey just doesn't want to give up any blood, or the meter just won't read it and gives me an error message and I need to try 2-3 times with new test strips to get a reading.

You're doing great, let us know how the next one goes.

Pat
Old 03-20-2011, 03:57 PM

Thanks so much - we will try again tomorrow after I get home from work and before I feed him. I'd love to do it in the middle of the day, but my husband and I both work. I work about 25 mins. from home, so I can go home just long enough to let everybody out, do a keto-diastix test, and then return to work. But we will definitely try again. I'm just a little frustrated about it right now. But, I appreciate the pep talks. Will post again tomorrow to let you know how it turned out.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:08 PM

Hang in there we have all been there, you will get there, I too feared that i was hurting when just using the lancet and have gotten better with the lancing device, Ed flinches evrr so slightly if at all- maybe it's me flinching
In no time you will be a pro and then you will feel very empowered even when the numbers are not what you expected them to be- you know that you have the means and the ability to re-check quickly for assurance.
Ed and I are cheering for ya'll

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart
Old 03-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

This may sounds like a dumb question , but I know you're trying different size lancets. Was the lancet you couldn't get into the device the same type that goes with that particular device?

I know the OneTouch lancets I had for a while wouldn't fit into my AccuChek Softclix.

Just a thought...
Old 03-21-2011, 04:24 PM

Actually, the lancets were the ones that came with the soft clix (but that was a good thought) - I don't know what I did, but I can't get the top back on. It just won't click in. When we got home from work tonight, we tried using the lancing device that came with the alpha trac and of course, that didn't work, so we tried the 26 gauge lancet. Nope. We just can't get blood. I spoke with my Vet tonight, and she will be doing a full curve probably toward the end of the week, I'll call tomorrow to get the appointment.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your positive feed back and encouragement!