Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:32 AM

Default Re: Concerns about Buddy (sorry long post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddingartist View Post
A little update on Buddy.

When he was put on Ursodiol for cholestasis late May of last year, he had severe diarrhea with lots of blood and he was prescribed Flagyl 250 mg and when we stopped the diarrhea and blood came back. He has been on 64 mg daily of flagyl since then.

He has been off the ursodiol for 2 months now and because the vet was concerned about toxicity in long term use, we decided to try again (2nd time since he is off the ursodiol) to take him off the flagyl. We did so on January 12 and the next day, there was a bit of blood in his stools. On January 13, a bit more blood and on January 14, a lot of blood and it was quite disheartening to see all that red blood on the fresh white snow. Conclusion, it is now a matter of quality of life and Buddy is going to be on flagyl for the rest of his life.

We had his stool analyzed more than once and there is no bacteria , the ultra sound didn't reveal anything and a thorough exam also didn't reveal anything and the vet doesn't really know where the blood is coming from.

My poor little man fell off our bed early this morning and when hubby picked him up he was totally confused but once daddy took him in his arms and sweet talked to him for about 15 minutes, he was OK. He has been doing good all day and we have felt his rib cage and all over his little body and there doesn't seem to be any problems and no obvious pain or damage.

On to the next challenge.

Louise
Louise,

Sorry to hear about wee Buddy falling off the bed, I am glad he is alright.

Give him a hug from Lucy and me

Margaret
Old 01-16-2011, 06:28 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Poor buddy. Have you every tried probitiocs ?
Old 01-16-2011, 06:58 AM

Poor little guy. I'm glad he's doing better.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:01 AM

I gave him the 64mg of Flagyl and the bleeding stopped with his next bowel movement.

With Buddy, it truly is now a balancing act . He has elevated liver enzymes (no change even with SAMe on his last round of tests), sludge in the bile ducts, stones in the bladder, proteinerua, high cholesterol and high tryglecerides and allergies (grains and rice etc) and environmental and let's not forget diabetes and the fact that he had pancreatitis, ketoacidosis 2 months after he was dx'd January 28, 2010.

Every morning, Buddy gets:
SAMe (1hour before his meal)
Fortakor (for his kidneys)

With his food (Taste of the Wild Salmon), I mix:
Warm water
protiotic, Omega 3, Vit E, a bit of wet meat and a heaping tablespoon of brocoli, green beans and spinach.

And at night, he gets 64 mg of Flagyl

After many trial and setbacks, this is what seems to be working the best for our little guy and I am reluctant to change anything. I still am so pleased that he has not had paw, ear and gum infections since I took him off the grain food and this is what seems to be working the best with the insulin.

Because the tourist season is not here yet and little traffic and snow banks to prevent Buddy from falling into a ditch, hubby still takes him off leash on their late afternoon walk and he says it is an absolute joy to watch him sniff around, chase his sister and want to play with her and he listens very well.

At this point, we are doing everything to make him comfortable and happy and generally speaking, he is a happy little boy, likes to cuddle and give us kisses so, can't ask for more. He lets me clean his ears, eyes, paws, teeth, and shave his ear to test his blood and he lets daddy give him the injections like a good little soldier.

Louise
Old 01-16-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddingartist View Post
hubby still takes him off leash on their late afternoon walk and he says it is an absolute joy to watch him sniff around, chase his sister and want to play with her and he listens very well.
Awe, love to hear that!
Old 01-16-2011, 07:51 AM

Hi Louise - I was sorry to read about Buddy. But you know, you and your husband have been wonderful with him. Look how far you've come in dealing with so many issues. Buddy is playing and happy - I think that's a very big deal! And I like to read that too.

Pam
Old 01-17-2011, 12:23 AM
Administrator

Default Buddy's flagyl

I'm so glad that putting the Flagyl back in seems to have done the trick.

I've seen a few dogs who needed periodic courses of antibiotics to feel well. No one knew what the antibiotics were treating but there was no question that they felt markedly better after receiving them.

What a lucky boy Buddy is to have found you!

Natalie
Old 03-20-2011, 06:12 AM

Louise,
How's our sweet guy Buddy doing?
Patty
Old 03-24-2011, 12:56 PM

Default Buddy got his wings today

With a river of tears streaming down my face, I am sad to let you know that Buddy got his wings today at 2pm.

The last 3 weeks have been very difficult where he refused to eat or ate very little. Even filet mignon did not do it and I knew it was the beginning of the end as he has increasing difficulty with elimination and digestion.

Ron wanted to make sure of his decision and we ordered a whole battery of test of Monday. Yesterday, he seemed to perk up however, at 4pm he started throwing up the little he had for breakfast, all undigested. This morning, he refused all food and started throwing green stuff and every breath he took was laboured and he trembled a lot. His little butt was so sore and bleeding and hot compresses did not do it.

Daddy had him in his arms and walked him in the yard for half and hour, I sang him our favourite song <you are my sunshine< and this time, I did end with <pls take my baby away<. I could not watch him suffer any more

At the vet, Ron wrapped in his blanky and Buddy died peacefully in daddy's arms. He will pick up his little body next Wednesday and drive him to the crematorium for cremation and bring back his ashes home.

Louise
Old 03-24-2011, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Buddy got his wings today

Oh No - I am so sorry for your loss...