Sweet Bob the Yorkie has passed 08.08.13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: newbie needs some input

Hopefully, he's broken through if there was some resistance going on. You may have to cut back insulin a little if that's the case. Also hoping there's no rebound effect from the drop.

I'm glad he feels better!
    Patty
    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

11-30-10
      6:45am - hi>600
      9:00am - breakfast (I had to puree/dropper it, but he seemed happy about it); 1u (heavy)
      9:15am - ketones "trace"
      10:05am - 431 + 1 subQ
      1:00pm - 119 (3 pcs. of his snack + a dab of Karo on his gums)
      2:30pm - 220
      5:05pm - hi >600
      8:00pm - hi >600
      8:45pm - good dinner; 1u on the nose. No subQ fluids tonight.

Still watching him close; he's makiing the rounds, checking the cat dishes and cat litter.
      Last edited by SeattleCraig; 11-30-2010, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Alright, Craig, great numbers are showing up. Slow and steady wins the race! Good for you. Diligent and consistent. I am going to try those again!
        Amy & Maggie May Miller, diagnosed 10-23-2010. Novolin, 6 units, 2x daily (increased to 7 units on 7-14-2011 because of consistent spikes). Currently eating Blue Buffalo Longevity for Mature Dogs: can & dry.

Comment

Oy, Amy, I hope that's the case, 'cuz otherwise I'm due a big "I told you so!" thread, and I'm too frazzled at the moment.

Comment

I really think that it's the subQ fluids that makes his blood sugar drop sharply.

Natalie

Comment

That's a very big drop. Hopefully his body won't counter and spike it high. It doesn't necessarily require a drop below 100 for a dogs hormones to kick in and defend itself against a low. Let's hope that doesn't happen
              Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

I think Natalie (as usual) is on to something with the sub q dropping the bg. It does seem a bit of a coincidence that it dropped after giving the sub q.

I do know hydration is really important for diabetics (people anyway). It seems the insulin needs the body to be hydrated to work properly.

Do you know how much your meter is different to the vet testing?

How much longer are you doing the sub Q?

Jenny

Comment

Rebound? Probably. Frustrated as hell.
                  I'd throw in the towel, if I could.

Comment

Based on my theory about the subQ fluids, which is based strictly on observation and not at all on research... I'm hoping to find some time to research this a bit...

If you are going to give subQ fluids after his dinner, I would cut him back to 3/4 of a unit at dinner.

If you are not going to give subQ fluids after his dinner, I would give him 1.0 units.

___

I don't think he rebounded because of the small increase in level between 1pm and 2:30pm. I think a rebound at that point would have raised the blood sugar much more sharply than that.

I think any time the body absorbs insulin so quickly that it drops the blood sugar 300 points, it's most likely then also going to run out early. That's seems to me to be the likely explanation, combined with the snack, for his jump from 220 to 600.

There's a static supply of insulin. So if you use a bunch of it right away, there isn't any left for later.

Natalie

Comment

Let's start planning his insulin based not only on his blood sugar but on whether and when you are going to give subQ fluids.

It truly might be better for him to stop giving them if you can. Because if the fluids are causing these sharp drops, they are responsible for the huge swings in blood sugar and in the inability to give him more insulin.

Natalie

Comment

It is very frustrating when regulation doesn't come quickly. It took me 4 months to regulate my dog, then I had his cataracts removed and the meds bounced his BG all over the place. I was a nervous wreck, but you just need to go slowing and consistently and eventually it will come. You've come a long way in a few weeks!! Hang in there.
                        Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleCraig View Post
                          Frustrated as hell.
                          I'd throw in the towel, if I could.
                          We understand frustration. Most of us probably would "throw in the towel" if we could live with ourselves afterwards.

I suppose we love our little ones more than we are frustrated with them and the process.

You are doing a great job! Somehow, someplace, sometime, it will all work out; Bob will be regulated--at least, some simblance thereof--and you will have your precious friend again. You will say it was worth it!
                          Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
                          Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
                          Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
                          Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Thanks, guys, for talking me down.

He was still hi >600 at 8:00pm. He had a good dinner and 1u on the nose (updated below).

Natalie, the subQ theory certainly fits the pattern of his lower readings over the last few days. It doesn't fit as well before that, but then he had other things going on, and the subQ's were much more a constant in the beginning.

I'm willing to stop entirely as long as he stays reasonably hydrated, and even then, I could put it off until...say...5:00pm every day, a full 8 hours after his morning dose, and 4 hours before his evening dose. That might be a good plan anyway, particularly if his BG is running high that time of day.

I'll be watching him close for the next 3 hours (until bedtime), and try to wake up to test in the middle of the night.

Craig

Comment

Craig,

You have a lot going on but I think you are getting a handle on it. I was thinking (quite dangerous I know) but when Bob is dehydrated the insulin isn't being utilized but then with the sub q and hydration the insulin is activated quickly and drops the BG suddenly and it is all used up so that by the next injection time he is high again.

Jenny

Comment

11-30-10
                                6:45am - hi>600
                                9:00am - breakfast (I had to puree/dropper it, but he seemed happy about it); 1u (heavy)
                                9:15am - ketones "trace"
                                10:05am - 431 + 1 subQ
                                1:00pm - 119 (3 pcs. of his snack + a dab of Karo on his gums)
                                2:30pm - 220
                                8:00pm - hi >600
                                8:45pm - good dinner; 1u on the nose. No subQ fluids tonight.
                                10:15pm - 550

12-01-10
                                midnight - 264
                                6:10am - 368
                                8:15am - 322
                                8:45am - breakfast; 1u on the nose. No subQ fluids.
                                12:00pm - 205

He feels so good this morning, and I'm liking the improvement in his numbers today. Keeping my fingers crossed.
                                Last edited by SeattleCraig; 12-01-2010, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X