Commercial Foods ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commercial Foods ?

Hi, I am taking my dog Zoe tomorrow to the vet. However she isn't happy with the Hills Diet w/d food and I want to get something to feed her tonight. I will be able to go to Petsmart or Petco tomorrow. (I am going to tell the vet she doesn't like it, and see what he suggests) I live in a small town with one large market. I want to get her something now to feed her, please any suggestions. I have been reading about the weight control food is good. Any advice on this is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Tami

Re: Commercial Foods ?

Hi Tami,

I like the Blue Buffalo and others here have used it with good results. I think they're using the reduced calorie, but right now I can't remember what BB has named it.

I had Bailey on their fish and sweet potato food for a while and he liked it much better than any other food with grain in it, but I've since discovered that he has a sensitivity, or allergy of some kind to grain products, so I've gone to grain free foods. Blue Buffalo you can get at any Petsmart, or Petco though.

Others may have other preferences, but that's mine.

Edit: I think this may be it.

http://www.bluebuffalo.com/products/...te-chick.shtml

Also, just for the heck of it, here's their website with the different products.

http://www.bluebuffalo.com/products/dogs/index.shtml

Good Luck

Pat
    Last edited by pat3332; 02-27-2011, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Tami
      I transitioned Eddie from WD Can and dry over to BB Longevity mature, he gets 1 oz of BB and 4ounces of homemade food, am/pm so far he #'s are back to where I hope he stays for a while
      Eddie is a 14yr old Rat Terrier Who is very well loved.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart

Comment

Blue Buffalo , Healthy Weight (yellow bag) was recommended to us...
        (thank you, Patty)
        Sasha has two more days and she will be transitioned over
        to it 100%. She loves it.
        Sasha mini-schnauzer, age 9 (8 at diagnosis), weight 14 (originally 18 lbs) Diagnosed 12/10, Humulin N, beginning dosage 3U, currently 5U since 1/03/11, increased to 6U 4/4/11, increased to 7U 4/14/11, increased to 8U 4/27/11, increased to 9U 5/31/11, increased to 10U 7/1/11

Comment

Tami - you say you have one large market - but typically, a market doesn't carry anything LIKE the better commercial foods. Are there any pet stores near you? They are more likely to carry the better foods.

You can probably adapt most of the foods you'd find in a good quality pet store, by adding fiber (canned pumpkin, for instance - not the pie filling, but the plain canned pumpkin - lots of dogs like that) - and just checking that the fat content isn't too high.

Keep up the good work, and keep posting and asking your questions - I think you're doing great!

Sun, 27 Feb 2011 20:30:55 (PST)
          http://www.coherentdog.org/
          CarolW

Comment

There is a Petsmart & a Petco where I am going tomorrow. They are about 25 miles away (where the vet is). So I will be going there. I ended up getting her Pedigree weight control (yeah I know not a great choice) But I know too she needed to eat. I was pretty disappointed at the poor choices for dog food, lots of crap! Anyways her appetite is pretty good. I was really concerned because she wasn't eating much of the RX food... because she doesn't like it. She was acting like she was starving when the other dogs wanted to eat so I gave her 1/2 the can and she scarfed it down. I gave her the other half tonight and then waited 20 minutes and gave her 2nd shot so they were 12 hours apart. She does seem to feel better. I just want to get her a GOOD quality food, that she likes too. For the longest time I made their food - brown rice, skinless chicken breast and some veggies. But then life got in the way (shoulder surgery and other things)

Comment

Tami - I think you know what you're doing with food, so you're in good shape with that! Of course, a sudden change of food can upset Zoe's insides - probably you know about that, too. You might have to go back to what you were feeding her before, and make the change more gradual. I'm glad Zoe ate!

Do keep us posted on how things are going! Hope your shoulder - and other things - go better - time for life to ease up on you a bit!

And I'm SO glad Zoe feels better.

Mon, 28 Feb 2011 03:42:44 (PST)
              http://www.coherentdog.org/
              CarolW

Comment

I use blue buffalo for all my dogs. Its good food and you can get it at petsmart or petco. I've used weight control, grain free and natural.
                Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Tami,

I didn't notice if you're mixing dry kibble with canned, but if you went to their website, Blue Buffalo also has a good quality canned food if you want to mix a little in to get her to eat. I'd try just the dry first though just to see how she likes it before tempting her with the canned.

Pat

Comment

Working...
                  X