Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Franklin has diabetes

Hi everyone,

Lab results came back, ít turns out that there was no bacteria inn Franklin's urine Yay! So I don't know what was going on there? Last night's fasting was 13.1, the lowest he's been for 2 weeks, then tonight's fasting was 22.7 I have no idea what's happening

Jenny- he's got yellow fin tuna jerky, and sun dried little fish, and loves them both. Not sure how they affect bgs yet, I haven't been poking him too much. Franklin says thanks for sharing Pippa's and George's fave snack.

Anne Marie- the extra meals are working great! He's always had 3-4 meals a day, until the diabetes. I was checking bgs more often the first couple of days we were doing it, and they were more level. I'm not aiming for perfect bgs, just better bgs. Franklin totally sympathises with CJ, hasn't had a piggy ear for a long time.

Shellie- the uti was a false alarm, woo hoo! It's great to see him humping moo again maybe he felt too cruddy just from the high numbers?
    He'd like to stick to the multiple meals, we'll see what a curve or three tells us Thanks for my hugs and Franklin's belly rubs.
    Jane and Franklin, 8 years, maltese, currently 6.4kg, Australia. Cushing's with elevated hormones dx'd 2009/2010, proteinuria, epilepsy, diabetes dx'd July 2012. Phenobarb 30mg bid, 3mg melatonin bid, lignans sid, caninsulin 4.8u bid (a work in progress). Diet- home cooked. Blind from cataracts January 2013, sighted from surgery February 2013.

Comment

Hey Jane that's great news for Franklin!! He must be feeling good

Know what you mean about the fasting numbers. ...... Today cj was 10.7 this morning fasting number. ...... This evening 21.3. I hate these crazy numbers especially when they go super low after their second meal and walk .

I agree Jane we are not aiming perfect we just want them to be in a good range that works for them so that they feel good and can lead a normal dog/human life!!!

Hugs to you both

Ps. Still don't know what pizzles are????!!???
      Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

Hi Anne-Marie.

Here is a link that describes pizzles, or Bully Sticks.

http://www.bestbullysticks.com/home/...ly_Sticks.html

In fact, I just ordered some from here for Abby...

Barb
        Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Great news about Franklin!!
          Now those sun dried fish sound so good. Off to look up and see if can order.
          Westie diagnoesd 10/12. Diagnosed 7/12 with Lymes. 4 unit of Humulin in morning. 3 with evening meal. As of now home cooked meals and also Standard Process supplements and Chinese herbs.

Comment

Oh dear...can see it now...

"And what do you do for a living, dear?"

"Oh, I clean pizzles!"

Not in my wildest dreams! Suppose I should be glad that every part is used since I'm not for butchering to begin with. Amazing.

SO glad that Franklin has no UTI!!! I was afraid he'd managed to pick up some bug that would be hard to kill! No cooties! Yay!

Hugs and belly rubs for Franklin!
            Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Hi folks

I have a problem. Starting last night and going until Sunday night I need to bring Franklin's insulin times forward an hour per shot to get him onto my up coming day shift schedule. I slept in this morning and he was 2 hours late

What can I do about tonight? Insulin at 8pm to keep him moving in this direction will only be 9 hours since morning insulin. Locum vet on diagnosis day told me to give the shot at 9 hours, but she was accidentally underdosing.

Please help?????

Thanks in advance
              Jane and Franklin, 8 years, maltese, currently 6.4kg, Australia. Cushing's with elevated hormones dx'd 2009/2010, proteinuria, epilepsy, diabetes dx'd July 2012. Phenobarb 30mg bid, 3mg melatonin bid, lignans sid, caninsulin 4.8u bid (a work in progress). Diet- home cooked. Blind from cataracts January 2013, sighted from surgery February 2013.

Comment

for us i dont have a problem with jesse in an hour range pushing it forward or backward and usually will give normal dose unless fasting is substantially lower than i am comfortable with she usually rises at mealtime

i guess you are 2 hours out of whack which would mean you could have some insulin working at shot time but the late shot may compensate for that starting possibly much higher than normal so a normal dose maybe fine but use your judgement if fasting is lower than you are comfortable with i would just reduce the dose a bit and get back on normal scheduled next dose

another thought if franklin normally drops at onset (insulin starts working) then i would reduce even if fasting is normal or a bit higher just because that drop could be intensified having some overlap from last dose
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

So you are needing to move 3 hours forward? How long before he needs to be on the day shift schedule? and by how many hours yet to go?

You could move in larger increments perhaps by decreasing his dose a bit to try to avoid the overlap. But it would depend on his curve, if he's rising at the end and what his fasting number is I'd think.
                  Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hi Jessegirl and Patty,

It's Saturday afternoon here and I have until Monday morning 6 ish. Fasting this am was 16.9/ 304. Franklin's onset is 90 mins, and it's a slow decrease in bgs. Lately am and pm fastings have been within 2 mmol of each other.

Comment

I'm not advanced enough to truly know. But when I adjusted to my schedule 4 weeks ago, I adjusted insulin until it was on normal schedule.

Originally posted by Franklin'sMum View Post
                      Hi folks

I have a problem. Starting last night and going until Sunday night I need to bring Franklin's insulin times forward an hour per shot to get him onto my up coming day shift schedule. I slept in this morning and he was 2 hours late

What can I do about tonight? Insulin at 8pm to keep him moving in this direction will only be 9 hours since morning insulin. Locum vet on diagnosis day told me to give the shot at 9 hours, but she was accidentally underdosing.

Please help?????

Thanks in advance
                      Westie diagnoesd 10/12. Diagnosed 7/12 with Lymes. 4 unit of Humulin in morning. 3 with evening meal. As of now home cooked meals and also Standard Process supplements and Chinese herbs.

Comment

Thanks, but I have a limited time scale in which to adjust I do rotating shift work and screwed up this morning

Oh, while I remember- the sun dried fish? Ebay You might find something similar close to you

Comment

So you have 3 shots left + Mon morning's to move forward how many hours Jane?
                          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

thanks for fish suggestion

i adjusted within a day, but she's also new and on low dosage.

there must be a solution as my vet told me there didn't always have to be an exact 12 hours between.

others will chime in soon. i would also think adjusting food during this quick change also.

Originally posted by Franklin'sMum View Post
                            Thanks, but I have a limited time scale in which to adjust I do rotating shift work and screwed up this morning

Oh, while I remember- the sun dried fish? Ebay You might find something similar close to you

Comment

Originally posted by Patty View Post
                              So you have 3 shots left + Mon morning's to move forward how many hours Jane?
                              5 hours all up Patty

Comment

Perhaps move in 1.5 hour increments over the next 3 shots to space it out? That would be 4.5 hours forward and Monday could be 30 minutes.

As I said, I'd base dose off of fasting and his trends though. Moving that far can create overlap over time and drop numbers. You may have to drop his dose a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X