Bailey got his wings... June 26, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Geoff: A question about meter problem

I don't know if this has been mentioned to you yet, but, you could try the area at the base of the tail, where the body meets the tail.
    Shave a spot and try lancing there...some find this to work great for their dogs.

We often have to get over our fears and do what is in the best interest of our special needs dogs...weigh the two, your fear of pricking or just what the benefit will be for Bailey once you can get this under your belt.

Good luck!
    Last edited by eileen; 04-23-2012, 04:47 AM.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Hello Eileen, I have pricked him with the lancing device previously with good results. (3-5 times) He has since developed a dislike to me touching his lips and I am not sure whether it is the lancing device or simply me touching him. I suspect it is 50/50 but I could not get him to cooperate tonight when I was just flipping up his lip. As for the base of the tail, I have yet to try that no.

Thanks,

Geoff
      Geoff & Bailey - 15 September 2002 - 26 June 2014 - Went to the rainbow bridge. He will be sorely missed - Love you Bailey 11 y/o Spoodle dx Dec 2011 - 18 units of Protaphane, 5 units of Humalog, on Prednefrine Forte for his cataracts and Cosopt for his glaucoma

Comment

Hello, How do I perform pricking at the base of the tail? I would have to shave a small area then prick as normal? I assume it is at the top of the tail where it meets the body? Is this safe to perform?

Thanks,
        Geoff
        Geoff & Bailey - 15 September 2002 - 26 June 2014 - Went to the rainbow bridge. He will be sorely missed - Love you Bailey 11 y/o Spoodle dx Dec 2011 - 18 units of Protaphane, 5 units of Humalog, on Prednefrine Forte for his cataracts and Cosopt for his glaucoma

Comment

Hi Geoff, this is exactly what some people do. You may need a larger lancet for this test, I never had any luck there but lots of folks do, hopefully they'll chime in.

I even tried heating up the area to get the blood flowing with no luck. But if you have a heating pad or something, it couldn't hurt. Judi
          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff View Post
            Hello, How do I perform pricking at the base of the tail? I would have to shave a small area then prick as normal? I assume it is at the top of the tail where it meets the body? Is this safe to perform?

Thanks,
            Geoff
            Yes, that is the correct area, where the tail meets the body at the top, many successfully use this spot, it is safe.

If you find you need to warm the spot to bring the blood to the surface area you can warm a wash cloth under warm water, put it into a baggie and hold it to the area for about 30 secs, then prick and test.
            You could also place some rice into a sock, warm that in the mocrowave..not hot, but warm and hold for 30 secs to bring the blood to the area.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Here's a link to various places you can test: http://www.k9diabetes.com/bgtestvideos.html

And one demonstrating the base of tail specifically: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L-Pv...ature=youtu.be
              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Sandy has a video on the main page that is fantastic! She does the best bum testing! LOL But I do love to watch it...she's very calm and that totally translates to her pup Tiggy. You're looking for a spot that will cause her the least amount of distress as well as produce good results BUT...you have to convince yourself you're doing it FOR her. I know Hank will get fussy about having his lip handled at times and I just rub his belly or do what I can to distract him from it.

I think you already have a good idea of how things go and will eventually be very successful! Takes most of us awhile to get the hang of it. I thought I'd never get it! lol
                Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

I am bumping up Geoff's thread in case anyone has more suggestions for successful lip sticks! Judi
                  Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

I have to say the lip sticks are awash, no good. He just will not cooperate. So I am moving on to tail, all I need now are some clippers *sigh*

Originally posted by Judi View Post
                    I am bumping up Geoff's thread in case anyone has more suggestions for successful lip sticks! Judi

Comment

I can't offer any thing besides support, as Ruby is a charm for her lip testing.
                      Hang in there though, the home testing is such a tool.

Can you stop by your vet's or groomer's and have them do a quick clip over the tail?

Good luck.
                      Tara in honor of Ruby.
                      She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                      Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

I use just a regular disposable razor to shave the spot on tiggys butt. You may have to cut Geoffs hair with a pair of scissors first then just take a razor and shave a small spot

Sandy

Comment

Hello, I tried last night to get some blood from above Bailey's tail, all I got was a speck! I have the lancing device on maximum but still no luck. I will try tonight to warm the area up first to see if that helps. I managed to clip/trim just above his tail so all good there!
                          Thanks,

Geoff

Comment

Does anyone know if it's possible to get different gauge lancets for the accu-chek softclix/multiclix device? I have had a look at Accuchek website but nothing was shown?

Thanks,
                            Geoff

Comment

No, I believe that is the one device that uses one specific lancet. But you could call the company and verify this.

http://www.accu-chek.com.au/webapp/w...vice_ContactUs
                              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Most people testing on the back at the base of the tail lance by hand rather than using a clicker.

Some folks I know did two pokes very close together and let the blood pool together into one bead. It also sometimes helps I understand to twist the lancet.

As for the lip, you may find eventually that your dog will get used to it. Chris was extremely fidgety at first but eventually he figured out to hold still and it was a breeze after that.

While I had him sitting upright in the video in order to get a better view, I actually had him lie on his side - he was 60-65 pounds so not a table top dog! That gave me a nice flat surface to work with and he would lay very calmly on his side.

It took Chris and I couple of weeks of daily practice to get really good at the lip - I fumbled a lot at first.

Natalie

Comment

Working...
                                X