Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 05-21-2022, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Off balance and wobbly

yes doggy feelings are accurate

I started doing curves at home as it was easier, faster, and more accurate because he also got very upset at the vet.

all you need are straps, Lance's, and a good glucose meter
Old 06-10-2022, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Off balance and wobbly

Our dog's blood sugar tended to drop sharply on walks. So if Oliver's blood sugar was already relatively low, he could easily be going hypoglycemic while walking and then his body releasing a sugar dump in response to the low.

Wobbly would be consistent with low blood sugar.

Testing his blood sugar yourself is definitely the way to go.

Certainly, have a blood panel done and see if something else is going on.

Still, it might not have been stress causing his blood sugar to bounce from low to high at the vet. He could be doing that every day and his walk catching him when it's low.

Are you up for testing blood sugar at home? It's more accurate doing it in his home environment and routine and you can look at patterns over a few days of curves and then we can help you adjust his regimen if needed to flatten his blood sugar curve.

If he really has neuropathy, his blood sugar would be high for long periods of time and an increase in the dose would be needed. But you can't do that until you determine where his blood sugar is going on a daily basis.

I have seen quite a few terriers who needed relatively large insulin doses for their size. 20, 20 units for 23 pound dogs. Not sure why but we have had numerous terriers need that much for good control.

So the thing is... you need to KNOW what his blood sugar is doing at home.

You can see videos of places to test at k9diabetes.com/bgtestvideso.html and information about testing in general and doing curves at the main website, www.k9diabetes.com.

Natalie
Old 06-23-2022, 03:50 AM

Default Homemade dog food, NOT chicken

Oliver, 7yr old border terrier mix 28 lbs, new diabetic as of 9 months. He is allergic to chicken, it causes inflammation, ear infections, excessive paw licking and chewing, and dry , patchy hair loss. Our new vet changed his food to prescription since his triglycerides were over 4000! That’s correct! Which our vet believes was causing insulin resistance. Unregulated blood sugar from 600 to 31, that caused his blindness. We switched to Purina pro plan veterinarians ED gastrointestinal, yes it’s a chicken based food. Our vet feels the nutritional benefit out weighs the side affects of his allergy. Within a week his symptoms of imflammation started. Our vet didn’t see signs of ear infection, which he shakes and scratches his ears a lot. I’m treating the dry flaky patches and red irritated paw pads. He’s currently on apoquel for seasonal allergy’s.
I’m exploring homemade food , any info or recipes would be helpful.
Thank you!

Last edited by Kittymjohn; 06-23-2022 at 03:52 AM.
Old 06-23-2022, 06:47 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Homemade dog food, NOT chicken

Hi

I would suggest very lean ground beef and rice.

Here's a link to some recipes.

https://topdogtips.com/meal-for-diabetic-dogs-recipe/

Bonnie and Angel Crissy Ann
Old 06-23-2022, 03:06 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Homemade dog food, NOT chicken

My Jesse was on a homemade diet for her 11 years being diabetic . She had a third of cup of grind up vegetables from the food processor , third of a cup of pinto beans ,third of a cup of beef heart , one hard boiled egg , a slice of canned mackerel and a slice of yam . I grind up eggshells in a coffee grinder for calcium . I drizzled some lemon juice and sprinkled yeast flakes on top . There was maybe a couple days in those 11 years she did not eat . She enjoyed her food

Blood sugar was stable and good . Never lost her sight and was healthy . She even went into remission for epeplesy . I did have to let her go when her canine dog dysfunction ( dog dementia) took away her brain function at 16.5 years

Now I only fed her once a day so what I described was one meal for a 26 pound dog . Me and Jesse came up with this diet . She had Pooh problems and the pinto beans took care of that . Many will say you can't do homemade as it won't be balanced . Well that was not true . At least for my Jesse . You can add or remove ingredients to get what your looking for with blood sugar and health .
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021