Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Help on less gassy food!

Ok the Taste Of The Wild does pretty good with him. However the vet today said make sure of high fiber. How do I knwo whats high fiber? I see high protein low carb but not fiber.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Founding Moderator

Default Re: Help on less gassy food!

Went to Taste of the Wild website and picked one of their formulas at random, since I don't know which one Kai's eating. Here's High Prairie dry for dogs:

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com...anine_formula/

Further down the page is the Guaranteed Analysis (this should be on a bag or can label also), this is where the fiber content is shown:

Crude Fiber 3.0% Maximum

But what I don't see on the page is how they arrived at the 3.0% figure. What I would like to see is what they are basing it on.

Let's look for a minute at the Prescription Diet traditional diabetes formulas-- W/D canned and W/D dry:

http://www.hillspet.com/hillspet/pro...O_n_orig_USARG

Here, I clicked Average Nutrient Contents and am told that W/D dry has 16.0% crude fiber in it.

Crude Fiber 16.4

There's something wrong with the W/D canned page on the Hill's site, so the Average Nutrient Contents for W/D canned won't display--we can get it from another website which is selling it.

http://www.petrx.com/index.asp?PageA...ROD&ProdID=732

Crude Fiber 12.4

When you look at these two numbers for Hill's, they are based on what's called "dry matter", which they say is the nutrient in the food after all moisture's been removed.

"It is used to make direct comparisons of nutrient profiles of products with differing moisture contents."

And that makes sense re: comparison of a wet and dry food.

I think what TOTW is showing on their website as the crude fiber being 3.0% is the "nutrient guarantee" figure. I'm not seeing that figure at all on the Hill's website for W/D Dry, but the site where we needed to get the previous information from the W/D canned shows the canned food with a nutrient guarantee of:

Crude Fiber 5.0 max

OK--from their FAQ's:

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/faq/

"What does the Guaranteed Analysis tell me?

"By AAFCO regulations, the guaranteed analysis is only required to list four nutrients: crude protein, crude fat, crude fiber and moisture.

"Next comes crude fiber. This is typically pretty low, 2-3%, and is a maximum level. In hairball formulas for cats and weight loss formulas, you will usually see a higher level of fiber, usually 6-8%. Higher fiber formulas will result in larger stools than low fiber formulas, but this is to be expected.

Think I would try calling Diamond and asking what their fiber dry matter number is to make it a little easier to know how this food stacks up against others.

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/contact_us/

"Need Additional Help?
If you require assistance or have questions regarding Taste of the Wild please call:
800-977-8797

Office Hours:
8am-5pm, M-F,
Central Time"

We have the dry matter numbers from both of the Hill's "traditional" diabetes diets which should be helpful for comparison.

HTH!

Kathy
Old 07-16-2009, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Treament and testing question

Sounds like Kai is doing great.

SO glad it wasn't cataracts.

VERY glad your new vet wants to switch insulin. The vet who did Lucy's spay (NOT my own vet) said he always starts diabetic patients on NPH. Switching Lucy was a major $$$ savings as well.

My own vet was also very lackadaisical about getting Lucy regulated & I'm always going to wonder if a more aggressive approach would have prevented the cataracts...

Read some of the stories here and you'll be counting your blessings that Kai is a regular eater.

I simply cannot believe how many vets are still going with one injection a day.

Rick

Last edited by Fishslayer; 07-16-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer View Post
Sounds like Kai is doing great.

SO glad it wasn't cataracts.

My own vet was also very lackadaisical about getting Lucy regulated & I'm always going to wonder if a more aggressive approach would have prevented the cataracts...

Read some of the stories here and you'll be counting your blessings that Kai is a regular eater.

Rick
Thanks! However Kai does have cataracts bad. Like you I wonder if a more aggressive treatment would have helped that. He has gone almost totally blind in less than a month. The vet says he could have surgery for $2500 but right now I not sure we can swing that. Not too mention he is 8 and a large breed dog. I talked to my dh and we decided we would wait and see how is does for a while.

We are very lucky he eats! Of course thats how at one time (healthy) he got all the way up to 106lbs!
Old 07-17-2009, 10:10 PM

Awww... Sorry to hear that. Dogs cope pretty well, tho. Lucy went blind with us so she knew where everything was, but when she went to her new family it didn't take her long to figure things out. She immediately was exploring and you could almost see the wheels turning in her head.

I love Weimers. My grandfolks had one when I was a kid and now our neighbors have a beauty that my own dogs love to run the fence with.

Rick
Old 07-18-2009, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydayz View Post
Thanks! However Kai does have cataracts bad. Like you I wonder if a more aggressive treatment would have helped that. He has gone almost totally blind in less than a month. The vet says he could have surgery for $2500 but right now I not sure we can swing that. Not too mention he is 8 and a large breed dog. I talked to my dh and we decided we would wait and see how is does for a while.

We are very lucky he eats! Of course thats how at one time (healthy) he got all the way up to 106lbs!
Don't beat yourself up over the "more agressive treatment". I know I didn't want my dog to get cataracts either and she did as well. It's obvious you are doing everything you can (or you wouldn't be on here). For my dog the cataracts had already started to form by the time she was diagnosed I think and she ended up going blind fairly quickly as well (especially the one eye). I think for each dog that is different as well, some dogs lose sight quickly, some take longer, some never do- and from what I read and understand that doesn't matter if the diabetes is treated or not, it's just how it is.

I think your doing great and for me coming on the forum and seeing people like you treating your dogs so well it makes me proud. I know some who would not even think about going through what we all are- so I say good job and give your dog a little pet for me, I feel bad for him but like Rick says- he'll adjust just fine.

Eric
Old 07-18-2009, 07:38 AM

You all rock! Thank you so much. I know its an adjustment for us all. I just hate seeing him bump stuff all the time. I have been on my kids about cleaning up and not moving stuff around lately so hopefully that will help. We just moved not quite a month ago into a new house and thankfully he had some vision so he knows the layout. I know he was not running into walls like he does now. It is interesting to see how he works with it though. He will walk along the wall to know when he is at the end. He has a doggie door off the screened porch and he will lightly push with his nose until he knows he is at the right spot. The only thing that gets him each time so far is the darn drain spout coming off the porch, he trips everytime. Poor guy!
Old 07-18-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydayz View Post
The only thing that gets him each time so far is the darn drain spout coming off the porch, he trips everytime. Poor guy!
Yeah... Lucy had one or two of those. Over time I could see her slow down a bit & kinda creep along. The auto-fill water bowl on the patio was like your drainspout. She tripped over/into it quite a bit but eventually learned.

Rick
Old 07-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Founding Member

Hi,
Smells become really important when your dog is losing his sight. I put lavender around doorways so Buddy could tell where they were. Is there some scent you could put near the drainpipe so that Kai can tell where it is?
Jenny
Old 07-18-2009, 03:49 PM

What a great idea! I think I'll use that too, thanks Jenny

Jennifer