Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Devon, aka Mr. Fussy

You're not even slightly a pest!

Natalie
Old 08-14-2009, 01:42 PM

Hi Snow
How is Devon's sore? Autumn had this several times. I haven't seen the sores in a long time. I'm not sure but suspect it may have been due to her being really high in BGs.

Like Devon, it was between her toes. Autumns sore look very red, raw and painful. I used neosporin. It worked great for Audy. I'm not good with advice but maybe your vet will think it's a good idea. I was pleased how fast neosporin worked.

How's Devon doing with NPH?
Old 08-14-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Hi Snow
How is Devon's sore? Autumn had this several times. I haven't seen the sores in a long time. I'm not sure but suspect it may have been due to her being really high in BGs.

Like Devon, it was between her toes. Autumns sore look very red, raw and painful. I used neosporin. It worked great for Audy. I'm not good with advice but maybe your vet will think it's a good idea. I was pleased how fast neosporin worked.

How's Devon doing with NPH?
His toe thing isn't a regular sore, like Autumn's and the ones Devon's had before which sound like the same thing. It's on top of his toe not down in between. really weird looking. It' s getting "better" but I'm not so sure... He'd just lick Neosporin right off, so unless he had a conehead thing on it wouldn't work.

He let me put warm epsom salt compresses on it for a few days which helped, the toe must have really hurt because he didn't move.

snow
Old 08-14-2009, 09:30 PM

Worries, I got worries..... something's wrong - like do I see a rebound here or is that just me? Devon started NPH on Monday which is good, he is much more like himself! I've only done one curve , his first day, because his BG is so erratic, that I can't trust my less expensive meter right now. He's been stuck so many times in his little callouses that I usually only do 3 or 4 tests a day unless I think there's a problem.

Monday
1 Am 438
725 A 532 shot 16 units NPH first shot + meal
1030 a 429
135 P 370
305 P 389
655P 437
715 P meal + shot 16u
1000P 290

Tuesday
1230A 312
715A 467 shot 16 + meal
700P 426 shot 18 u (at vet's request) + meal

Wednesday
1215A 372
725 A 488 shot 18u +meal
703 P 360
715 P shot 18u +meal
920 P 294
1130 P 190

Thursday
140A 141
729A 443 shot 19u+ meal
600P 392
724 P 345 shot 19u +meal
947 P 338
10 PM begging for food, barking
1143 P 331

Friday
750A 418 i slept late
755 A shot 19 u + meal
930 a hungry for about an hour
705P 529 dinner shot 19 u
722 p 418
1138 P 416

OK so I don't know if anybody's going to see this tonight but I am going to drop him back to 17u in the morning. I took him for a nice 20 minute walk and he enjoyed it and seems to be feeling fine. He's been drinking a ton and he must have a bladder the size of a kitchen sink.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Hi Snow,

I'm glad you're cutting back to 17 units in the morning. Please stay at that dose for a couple of days at least and allow things to settle down.

At 18 units, the BG went down to 190 and I would not have increased the dose at all at that point until three or four days on that dose had passed.

I think 19 units was probably too many and may have caused rebound..

If so, and if you have rebound, then the blood sugar will tend to run high and/or be erratic for as much as 48 hours after the rebound.

So I wouldn't worry at all about high blood sugar for the next two days. Stay at 17 units and reevaluate things in about four days to see if more insulin is needed.

The reason for waiting a few days between increases, preferably at least 3 days, is that you do not yet know how long the NPH is lasting. If, for example, one injection is lasting 18 hours instead of 12 - not necessarily likely but possible - the injections would start to overlap and after a few days the number of units injected could drop the blood sugar a lot farther than it did the first day.

With a 290 the first night, I don't think you want to give more than 17 units for some time. A 1 unit difference can be huge when you're close to that "line" of good blood sugar.

I know it's hard to wait but slow patient increases and observations for three or four days at each dose will get you there without upsetting everything with a rebound. Those can take days to recover from - not to mention the risk of a low blood sugar crisis - so they only slow down the process of finding the right dose and muddy the picture of how the insulin is working.

Natalie
Old 08-15-2009, 05:36 AM

Hi Snow
I hope that Devon's antibiotics kick in and this sore heals quickly for him.
Anna
Old 08-15-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9diabetes View Post
Hi Snow,

I'm glad you're cutting back to 17 units in the morning. Please stay at that dose for a couple of days at least and allow things to settle down.

At 18 units, the BG went down to 190 and I would not have increased the dose at all at that point until three or four days on that dose had passed.

I think 19 units was probably too many and may have caused rebound..

If so, and if you have rebound, then the blood sugar will tend to run high and/or be erratic for as much as 48 hours after the rebound.

So I wouldn't worry at all about high blood sugar for the next two days. Stay at 17 units and reevaluate things in about four days to see if more insulin is needed.

The reason for waiting a few days between increases, preferably at least 3 days, is that you do not yet know how long the NPH is lasting. If, for example, one injection is lasting 18 hours instead of 12 - not necessarily likely but possible - the injections would start to overlap and after a few days the number of units injected could drop the blood sugar a lot farther than it did the first day.

With a 290 the first night, I don't think you want to give more than 17 units for some time. A 1 unit difference can be huge when you're close to that "line" of good blood sugar.

I know it's hard to wait but slow patient increases and observations for three or four days at each dose will get you there without upsetting everything with a rebound. Those can take days to recover from - not to mention the risk of a low blood sugar crisis - so they only slow down the process of finding the right dose and muddy the picture of how the insulin is working.

Natalie
thanks for the good advice as always, Natalie. I gave his 17u 2 x today. And wouldn't you know it, today his BG is:
820a 368
830A shot 17u meal
717P 457 shot 17u meal.

so far so good. I was really surprised by the 368 - since he's been so much higher then that every morning.

I thought no matter what, his BG would be improving. His toe sore/growth/teeny alien thing seems to be shrinking and hardening up and his toe's not splayed out anymore, but he is still on antibiotics. I'd really like to go back to short walks at least. He still likes his dry food Blue Buffalo food but I have to rotate the canned food. He has a great appetite the last few days, that has to be good.

snow<--person
Devon <--wanna hike....
Old 08-15-2009, 11:05 PM

spoke too soon, he's going down fast again - another semi sleepless night

11 p 203
Sunday
1235 A 193
145 A 151 6 1/2 hours post shot

he's doing his low blood sugar routines, agitated, pacing, begging for food. I gave him some dried chicken breast, no good. 1 1/2 small PB crackers. No. So I gave him 3 Tbl of canned food mixed with 1 1/2 Tbl of ground flaxseed hoping the fiber will fill him up and slow his sugar down.

It's 2 am. I am so tired. I'll do his BG in another 45 minutes hopefully he will be on his way up. I hate to give him Karo if I don't have to, he'll be way over 500 in the AM if I do. I am going to lower him to 16u in the morning.

This is the dosage on Vetsulin that always screwed him up - anything over 15 and I have to watch him like a hawk.

Please tell me this gets better.. I'd like to know I am auctioning my limited edition Julia Child autographed cookbook on Ebay for a reason... maybe some therapy sessions for me?

snow
Old 08-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Administrator

151 is far from low... it's perfect... I think it would be good to be sure that his behavior is actually low blood sugar, as in under 70 actual reading - not sure whether you're adjusting the meter readings - before giving him food.

IF his blood sugar was actually low, you want quickly digest carbs or sugar. Don't be afraid of syrup - just don't use too much of it. It goes in fast, which is what you need but also doesn't last nearly as long as food. Protein takes too long to be digested.

What is his blood sugar right now?

Natalie
Old 08-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Sorry I guess the 151 is right now... did you just now give him the food?

I don't think there's any reason to panic or to give him food. Maybe he's not used to lower blood sugar and he begs but that doesn't mean he NEEDS it.

Somehow we have to find a way for good numbers not to scare you!

Natalie