Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Treament and testing question

Originally posted by crazydayz View Post
    Thanks! However Kai does have cataracts bad. Like you I wonder if a more aggressive treatment would have helped that. He has gone almost totally blind in less than a month. The vet says he could have surgery for $2500 but right now I not sure we can swing that. Not too mention he is 8 and a large breed dog. I talked to my dh and we decided we would wait and see how is does for a while.

We are very lucky he eats! Of course thats how at one time (healthy) he got all the way up to 106lbs!
    Don't beat yourself up over the "more agressive treatment". I know I didn't want my dog to get cataracts either and she did as well. It's obvious you are doing everything you can (or you wouldn't be on here). For my dog the cataracts had already started to form by the time she was diagnosed I think and she ended up going blind fairly quickly as well (especially the one eye). I think for each dog that is different as well, some dogs lose sight quickly, some take longer, some never do- and from what I read and understand that doesn't matter if the diabetes is treated or not, it's just how it is.

I think your doing great and for me coming on the forum and seeing people like you treating your dogs so well it makes me proud. I know some who would not even think about going through what we all are- so I say good job and give your dog a little pet for me, I feel bad for him but like Rick says- he'll adjust just fine.

Eric

Comment

You all rock! Thank you so much. I know its an adjustment for us all. I just hate seeing him bump stuff all the time. I have been on my kids about cleaning up and not moving stuff around lately so hopefully that will help. We just moved not quite a month ago into a new house and thankfully he had some vision so he knows the layout. I know he was not running into walls like he does now. It is interesting to see how he works with it though. He will walk along the wall to know when he is at the end. He has a doggie door off the screened porch and he will lightly push with his nose until he knows he is at the right spot. The only thing that gets him each time so far is the darn drain spout coming off the porch, he trips everytime. Poor guy!
      ~Kathy
      Drew 9 (6-25-02), Mara 5 (1-26-06) & Alana 9m (9-28-10)
      Kai 10 year old Weimaraner blind 2 years from diabetes(6-21-01)

Comment

The only thing that gets him each time so far is the darn drain spout coming off the porch, he trips everytime. Poor guy!
        Yeah... Lucy had one or two of those. Over time I could see her slow down a bit & kinda creep along. The auto-fill water bowl on the patio was like your drainspout. She tripped over/into it quite a bit but eventually learned.

Rick

Comment

Hi,
          Smells become really important when your dog is losing his sight. I put lavender around doorways so Buddy could tell where they were. Is there some scent you could put near the drainpipe so that Kai can tell where it is?
          Jenny

Comment

What a great idea! I think I'll use that too, thanks Jenny

Jennifer
            Virgil: 12 year old Jack Russell, 28 lbs, dx 4-25-09, NPH: 14 units x2, Food: Iams (weight loss, dry) & 1/8 tsp. Metamucil w/ water, BG in 100's-250's, Testing: OneTouch Ultra and Ketodiastix

Comment

Here is a link to some more suggestions for your blind dog.

http://www.blinddogs.com/tips.htm

Jenny

Comment

Kai woke up looking much better but as the morning went it started looking bad again. I decided to cancel the appt with the old vet and this was a perfect time to see the new vet. I LOVE the new vet!!

First of all it is just conjunctivitis. Whew! $11 drops. They did the dye/black light test and no scratches. I also had them aspirate a new lump that was hard but no issues with that thank goodness. Then we talked about his diabetes in general. He wants a few spot checks before we do another curve. I actually upped Kai's insulin to 27U 2x a day starting yesterday since his numbers are still so high. So after about a week I will start some spot checks. Then they will do a curve once we know he is in a stable number group. He also said they have better results with the human insulin on the large dogs so we might switch. Anyhow I feel so much better with a fresh look at him.
                Hi Kathy,

I'm so glad things are better with Kia's eye, how's it going with the 27 units now?

Try not to frown for not being aggressive about diabetes, I wish I had known about canine diabetes when Niki was dx, how would we know all of this? we depended on our vets to help us

Take Care,
                Dolly
                Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Well its been a couple months now and Kai is doing so much better! He did pretty much lose his eyesight completely but he manages pretty well. I moved him to 27U (BID)of the Vetsulin about a little over a month ago and his numbers have been great. However I have not tested numbers in about 3 weeks. I am doing a curve today and wondered if I should be concerned. His morning preshot/food was 144 and 2 hours later was only 83. (this from my dog who could not get out of the 500's a few months ago) I did a 1 hour from there and it was 106 next hour was 91. Seems his numbers are staying sort of low. He was 25U and was running high 100 and 200's. Think moving to 26U will be good? Do his numbers seem a little low are do you think that is fine using a home meter?

Just using the vetsulin we have now but will be switching soon with the help of our vet since he is such a big dog. I use the One Touch Ultra meter.
                  ~Kathy

Comment

Those are beautiful numbers!!! Congratulations!!!

I think if you want a bit more margin for safety, try cutting just half a unit first. If this is the lowest Kai goes, it's perfect - I'm assuming the OneTouch is around 30-40 points low. So you wouldn't need to shave much insulin off of that as I'd guess the lowest reading there was actually around 113.

Then, if that's not enough of a reduction, you could go down to 26.

Dang, it's about time we heard from someone with a dog who is cooperating with the insulin!

Natalie

Comment

Well I just did another reading and his 8 hour was only 64. He really has not done much today either. Not that he seems like anything is wrong though. I might try 26 2x day and in a week do another curve.
                      ~Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
                        Those are beautiful numbers!!! Congratulations!!!

Dang, it's about time we heard from someone with a dog who is cooperating with the insulin!

Natalie
                        You know how it happened? I took it into my own hands and started testing and adjusted him myself. The old vet said see ya in a year!

I do like the new vet but we have not had to visit much yet. In a few weeks we go in and will switch to the human insulin. Then back to checking for a while to get him stabilized on that.
                        ~Kathy

Comment

What a crazy day of a curve me yesterday. Things seemed pretty OK, then jumped way down and then 2 hours later sky rocketed! Evening was 64, 2 hours later 258, 2 hours later preshot/dinner 321!

Then this morning his preshot/breakfast was back to 141. We had lasagna for dinner and I wonder of the kids dropped some or something. His numbers jumped quick! I was happy with this mornings reading as I had to run to the dentist with the kids and fed and gave his shot after. So we were a little late. I wont poke him all day but might check again around the same time his numbers went up yesterday. I use his dewclaw. Tail/nub covered with hair, no calluses and big floppy ears. Not sure I can do the gums.

Maybe that is common with the vetsulin though. His numbers going higher in the evening than morning preshot? Almost like it cant quite make it all the way until shot time. I cant wait to use up the Vetsulin and switch him over. With the quantity he takes the Vetsulin could buy me a new car! LOL
                          ~Kathy

Comment

Looking forward to starting over, huh! I know what you mean... I hope the NPH works really well as it sure will be more convenient for you and Kai.

Natalie

Comment

We will be starting the NPH Monday!! I have enough Vetsulin to finish the weekend. I also brought my One Touch Ultra in and I am about 45 off from theirs. Not too bad but now I know at least. I was pretty happy with the number that day too. 195 and he was about 4 hours away from next shot time.

I will call Walmart tomorrow to check prices but I am so happy right now! Walgreens and CVS are not terrible prices and they are right near the house. But if Walmart is a decent amount cheaper I will go there.

Also happy to sat Kai is getting used to being blind now. He has learned to really use the other senses finally. Tracking the ball is much quicker than it was. He gets so happy bringing it back to me.
                              ~Kathy

Comment

Kathy - a very belated welcome to you and Kai. I just read through your entire thread - ha! you've been through the mill; hope things will stabilize now. I'll read with great interest how your change from Vetsulin to NPH insulin goes.

Sun, 23 Aug 2009 07:09:41 (PDT)
                                http://www.coherentdog.org/
                                CarolW

Comment

Working...
                                X