Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sydney

Tami,

Thank you for sharing her last moments with us, in fact, all her moments with us. She was a tough old girl. But, I suppose there is comfort in the fact that she is pain free and I hope she is eating toast every meal now with no restrictions!

One really great thing is that she got to leave on her terms with her family around her. It makes me so sad and I have thought about you all day yesterday. It hurts when we lose any dog who has become part of this family but Sydney was a special girl. We have talked so much about our old girls and the challenges they face. I try to cherish every day and every hour because I know time is short. I hope I can have your strength when the time is right. I know you must be crushed.

Hugs to you, Erik and Soaphie. I hope sweet Soaphie doesn't grieve herself too much.

Amy
    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep.
      I could see that you were crying, you found it hard to sleep.
      I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
      "It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea.
      You were thinking of the many times your hand reached down to me.
      I was with you at the shops today, as your arms were getting sore.
      I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today, you tend it with such care.
      I want to reassure you that I'm not lying there.
      I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
      I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said "it's me."

You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
      I tried so hard to let you know that I was standing there.
      It's possible for me to be so near you every day.
      To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."
      You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew...
      In the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

The day is over...I smile and watch you yawning
      And say "Good night, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."
      And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
      I'll rush across to greet you, and we'll stand, side by side.
      I've so many things to show you, there's so much for you to see.
      Be patient, live your journey out...then come home to be with me.

AUTHOR UNKNOWN

Hoping your memories of Sydney will dull the pain a bit more with each passing day...
      Grayson - 95lb black lab, 10yrs old, diagnosed 3/22/14 - Novolin N (27units) and Merrick Grain Free Buffalo and Sweet Potato dry food - Novox 100mg twice daily & a Cosequin supplement - Alphatrak2 & One Touch Mini

Comment

So sorry for your loss.

I am sure that Sidney is running pain free with the warm breeze brushing through the hair right now. She will come to your dreams, she really will.
        Last edited by Nan's Pups; 06-04-2014, 08:28 AM.

Comment

tami thanks for sharing it helps me to understand the experience which i have tried to prepare myself for that final conclusion with jesse . they are amazing how they just keep going with so many challenges and never complain . i so admire that in them

you did find that magical time to say goodbye
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I truly believe that God puts people in our lives for certain reasons...I believe that He does the same with our furry companions. Sydney (and Soaphie) was meant to be with you and Erik. When you wrote about your morning ritual and we thought you were a saint for doing all of it, you were only sharing it because you found it funny. Most people would not have taken so much on, but you did with love and compassion. I am quite certain your girls have always felt that. Even in the way you took care of Sydney in her last days shows just how much she meant to you...and how much Soaphie means to you.

I am praying that the days to come are filled with wonderful memories of your life with Sydney and comfort in the knowledge that you and Erik did all that you could for her. Give Soaphie a little extra love and a scratch or two from us. Thank you for always sharing your girls with us.
            Mel and Vinny

Darn allergies seem to be an epidemic! *sniff sniff*
            Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

It is amazing how we can be so affected by the lives and losses of our fellow members. I have thought of you all day Tami, as Sydney's leaving has brought back my own losses. On a car trip today time was spent in tears brought on by a ??? favorite grieving song....Basil is careful about what songs I listen to since my brother passed.

I wish our feeling grief for Sydney could lesson your sadness Tami. Until the sadness lightens know that we are standing right beside you too, just like the Sydney in the poem.

Tara
              Tara in honor of Ruby.
              She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
              Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Tami,
                We kept a journal with smiley face, straight face or frown face to denote what the summary of each day had held for Sydney.
                I'm so glad you kept this journal. Such a visual picture of her quality of life.

Before Erik got ready for work yesterday I said “I think we need to discuss Sydney” – he glanced into the living room at her and then went upstairs to shower to get ready for work. No conversation had.
                I feel like I can relate to this in that we didn't want to have this conversation either until it was just unavoidable.

Monday evening we asked our dear friend Bryant if he could come over and take some family pictures of us. It was very nice.
                Love this Tami. Those will be treasured.

When they arrived, after they were in the living room for a bit, Sydney started barking (she hasn’t barked in ages). I think she could smell them (she is deaf and mostly blind now). It was a gift to hear her voice one more time – and, Erik got it on video! Precious little things..

10 minutes later, the vet/assistant came back in and Sydney was resting comfortably – no pain. Erik smothered her and her hair was soaked by his tears (up until this point, I had only seen him shed a few tears (although I’m sure he cried in private) it was really me balling my eyes out – now it was his turn).
                It's amazing how we seem to take turns in breaking down and finding strength to support the other.

My heart goes out to you. Wishing you vivid, beautiful dreams!
                Patty
                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Tami
                  I was really sad to read about Sydney. If it is any comfort at all it really sounds as if you did everything you could to make it as easy on her as possible. In the end there isn't anything better that we can do for them, though it is so sad.
                  I hope in time your happy memories will resurface and you will remember all the many good times and not just the very last few days.
                  Antonia
                  Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

No words Tami; just a lot of tears. She will always be with you. I know Forby, Ali and all our other friends met her at the bridge.
                    Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Tami,

I am so sorry to hear about Sydney. I am not on the forum now. Peggy contacted me to tell me.

My heart goes out to you,Erik and you were very special dog parents. I know how much you will be hurting. I cried when I read your post. It brings back such painful thoughts of Lucy.

I know you will both have many lovely memories and these will sustain you over the next few months.

Please accept my condolences just to let you know you are in my thoughts.

Hugs

Margaret
                      Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

Thank you all so much. Words really cannot express my appreciation of each and every one of you.

Times are tough - that is for sure - I know that with time, things will improve, I just need to be patient and accept that at random times - tears will pour...that I won't be able to think straight etc etc etc.

As you all know, the grief is indescribable. We know it was the right choice - there hasn't been a moment of doubt in our minds - we just miss her - plain and simple.

Did you know that Sydney was an agility rockstar when she was younger?

Also, she could clear a 4 ft fence in a single leap from a stand still.

She was a canine good citizen and certified therapy dog - our favorite place to visit was in upstate NY - the Sisters of St Francis Provincial House (where the retired nuns lived). THEY LOVED HER! When she was scheduled for a visit, they would put her name on the TV in their announcements "Sydney will be here this Saturday from 9-10am" etc. When we arrived one would squeal 'Sister Sydney is here, Sister Sydney is here!" and then the next nun would chime in with the same sentiments, along with a 'bless you sister sydney". Nuns that had alzheimers and hadn't had a decent conversation in ages would see Sydney and reflect back to when they had a dog when they were a child. It was amazing.

It's all about the hair.

Tami
                        Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

i love it sister sydney

she was truly a saint
                          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

the hair, the hat, your girls have style.

I didn't know Sydney was an agility dog. And I love hearing about Sister Sydney. She must've brought so much comfort to some very deserving people.

And I bet a lot of them were waiting to greet her in heaven.

we love Sydney stories because we loved Sydney.

how is Soaphie doing?

hugs, Judi
                            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Tami,
                              There is so much in your posts that strikes a chord with me - yet I am still at a loss of words...

I'm so happy you are able to come back and share some of her younger years - still keeping her alive in spirit. May she visit your dreams often.
                              Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

No Tami I didn't know that.....

We get to meet each other's dogs usually later in life and we don't talk about the wild teenage years. The therapy dog stuff is really something to be proud of, for both of you.

I am glad that already these memories are there for you.

I want to start a memory wall for the people and animals I have lost. As much as I loved my shorthairs I know there are things I have forgotten about them.... I wouldn't have believed it could happen. Think about when I am 90. I want to remember the thump, thump, thump of Maggie's footsteps after her nails were cut because they were clicking on the floor. Or the way when you put something on her nose for her to toss and catch, how her eyes would cross as you slowly moved your hand away. The four short years with Ruby didn't produce as many memories, but I can still hear her little "HEY, where did you go!" bark, and remember watching and waiting for her little stubby tail to start wagging once she smelled me come into the house.

Now when I think of Sydney instead of Sharpei Fever I will instead think of Sister Sydney.

Tara
                                Tara in honor of Ruby.
                                She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                                Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Working...
                                X