Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: new to list;alpha-trak and glucose curve questions

Originally posted by Patty View Post
    Wow Carol, that's quite the mangled needle.
    Sure is!

I'm glad this "bent needle" issue came up ...

I have a ongoing problem with bending needles thanks to "Mister Friskie Hates the Shot". He's unpredictable and can be very calm as I tent him ... and sometimes he'll start scrambling the second I put the needle in.
    • However the biggest "bend" I've experienced is probably about a 45° angle.
    • The insulin is always injected and I check for wetness when I bend a needle. Haven't found any yet.
    • I'm thinking sometimes he's getting a muscle or skin shot because all the insulin always remains in him.

Get mad at myself when that happens ... and say "how can a 200 lb man get out muscled by a 25 lb pug"???? I try not to be a bully, because I don't want him to run for cover when it's shot time.

I've tried everything to distract him ... and currently put some cut up chicken on a plate for him to work on as I pet him and gently tent him several times before the "hit". Seems the second I put the needle in, he's all over the place. Try and do it really fast, but still manage to bend about 1 of 3 needles.
    Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Originally posted by HarrysMom View Post
      This is exactly what happens to my Harry - three days ago, his pre-walk blood sugar was 100. After 20 minutes of walk, it dropped to 60. I now measure his BG before each walk. If BG is below 250, I give him honey.

Yunhee
      I know of several who feed Fig Newtons to keep their dogs' glucose from dipping when exercising.

http://www.nabiscoworld.com/Brands/P...uct=4400000527

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Tucker's blood sugar last night at dinner time was 76 at 6p.m. (from 154 at 130p.m.--I gave him karo syrup with his walk, even) I gave him a little karo syrup with his meal and some extra kibble to keep him from dropping since the vet wants him on 2 units twice daily. at 8p.m. his blood sugar was 166, and this morning 159 at breakfast time. At 1030 this morning he was 126. So, we are keeping within range of 80-180 which is what the vet would like to see.

Comment

I believe your dog may have some insulin production there are some clues of this the lower blood sugar without any insulin. basically very little effect of sugar and food intervention on numbers, gravitating to normal range and the drop at the end of his 12 hour cycle (I have theorized this is do to insulin production and the body trying to get to normal numbers may not have enough to deal with food but can with excess my jesse had the same drop without insulin but at much higher numbers)

there is a possibility of miss diagnoses my vet has seen this before and taken off insulin in rare cases to see no dependence on insulin treatment. I hoped for that in jesses diagnoses for a while and like I said there appeared to be some production her drop at the end of her cycle stopped and more insulin was required after that but sometimes I think it still spits and sputters needing more and less at times but the range is much smaller
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by eileen View Post
            I know of several who feed Fig Newtons to keep their dogs' glucose from dipping when exercising.

http://www.nabiscoworld.com/Brands/P...uct=4400000527
            Hmm - I am sure Harry would love Fig Newtons. I gave Harry a drop of honey when his morning pre-walk BG was 240 - we did a 30 minute instead of a 20 minute walk, and his BG was 130 post-walk. I was debating whether I should give him honey, but given the drop, I am glad I gave him some. If he is ever able to walk better (now we just trudge around the neighborhood vs. actually going on his beloved trails), we may have to go with Fig Newtons as it probably has a better combination of ST and LT fuel.

Comment

Fig Newtons... Tucker is a chow hound and would LOVE them, but I'm not sure if he's allergic to anything in them so I'll just hold off for now (especially since I like Fig Newtons, and I'd probably eat more than he would!)

I was wondering, too, if he isn't producing a little of his own insulin as well, but his blood sugars were terribly high in January (557 I think) and just last week or two were pretty high as well (200-450 range). I can tell when he's high because he drinks a lot of water--but he hasn't been doing that lately now that his blood sugar is a bit lower in general.

Comment

I checked Tuck's blood sugar ten minutes ago and it was 204. Took a ten minute walk (timed) at the usual pace and his blood sugar was 165--so it does appear that he drops his blood sugar with a longer walk and needs some carbs for a buffer.

Comment

Working...
                X