Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Member: Leg skin healing and insulin issues (Bailey).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member: Leg skin healing and insulin issues (Bailey).

Hello everyone,

I have a family dog named Bailey who is 11 years old and as resilient as can be. He is a Dachshund who befriends anyone on the street and warms people's hearts. We have been struggling since his diabetic diagnosis to get his sugar under control and now he has an additional complication: a large leg wound that has been taking months to heal and has gotten worse. I have a hypothesis but would like additional feedback from this wonderful community.

Bailey has lived a great life until complications started to form.

1. Around age 5 he had calcification of the spine which we spent a pretty penny on surgery. He has been fine since then for his back.

2.A few years later they discovered that he has a heart murmur but it hasn't progressed to the later stages as of yet and the vet's are still monitoring it.

3. Later in life, around 10 years of age we discovered that he had thick bile in his gallbladder and he had developed pituitary tumors around his adrenal glands which is the cause of his Cushings condition. The Cushings has been monitored and medicated (Trilostan, special 7 mg mix) and it has been stable ever since. The thick bile was being softened by an additional drug they provided (Ursodiol 250mg but cut in 4 pieces so 62mg each dose).

4. Months later, he was not feeling well and we learned that he developed diabetes from the Cushings. They started him on Levemir (Detemir) at .5 U. Over the course of the year we have been trying to find the sweet spot with little success. Here is an excel sheet of the diabetic curves my parents did over time. Sadly it does not mention how much of the Levemir they were giving at the time but it was between 1U and 2U. At the moment he is on 4U and his sugar is high on the daily.

5. A few months ago he was incredible pain and they found that his gallbladder was completely blocked. They did an emergency gallbladder removal and he had a 50% survival rate to pull through. He pulled through and his surgery has healed but a consequence of it was that one of his back paws swelled up 3 times the size for almost 2 weeks. It caused loss of oxygen for the skin and open tears which grew to a considerable size with signs of narcosis. After hydrotherapy was preformed, the leg as returned to normal but the large wounds are too large for a skin graph and naturally healing albeit slowly.

6. Because of the high sugar levels, I am starting to see while clouds in his eyes.

It was healing fine for about a month and a half but lately it has reverted and the healing layer of the skin rips off with the removal of the bandage. The doctor has told us that if it doesn't improve the only option is amputation and at that point I fear we will be putting our favorite pupper to sleep as the costs have been astronomical and we don't want him to have a bad way of life.

He currently eats Hill's Prescription Diet w/d Multi-Benefit Digestive, Weight, Glucose, Urinary Management Chicken Flavor Dry Dog Food and wet dog food.

Hypothesis:

I believe that Bailey's unregulated high blood sugar on 4U Levemir is making matters worse for his skin condition. Not only is his leg not healing properly but his stomach skin and general coat skin is usually seen as flaky an peeling. The only times his leg was seen as getting better was when his diabetic curve as more stable. Normally he is in the high 20 mmol/L's. The vet says that he should be around 15 mmol/L but even I find that high. Shouldn't a dog's diabetic curve be between 5 mmol/L- 10 mmol/L?

This is a link to the excel sheet my parents maintained for months to watch his curve. They were using between 1-2U of Levemir at the time.

Link: https://1drv.ms/x/s!AgfijvC-cKDdgUNY...i5OHL?e=PwOSf0

I looked into Levemir for dogs and didn't see much on this forum or elsewhere. I am assuming this isn't something often given for sugar maintenance. After reading that the drug is 4x more effective in dogs than humans and that the starting dose should be .1/kg..Bailey should technically be on .07 as he weighs about 16 pounds. The Vet has been increasing the dosage unit after a few weeks to see if there are any balance changes and now we're at 4U every 12 hours.

https://www.petcarerx.com/medication...-diabetes/1238

Side effects that is known on the drug is the following: hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), Somogyi effect hyperglycemia (overproduction of insulin by the liver during sleep).

http://www.caninediabetes.org/pdorg/somogyi.htm

Bailey does sleep a lot during the day as he normally did before diabetes. I am wondering if the 4U is too much and that it is indeed doing the somogyi effect thus spiking his sugar levels.

We are doing a full blood work on Monday so I should have more information then.

I think we should be cutting the dose back to .7/kg and move up .05 until we find a sweet spot. I think moving up .5U is passing by the sweet spot maybe. I think maybe another type of insulin may also be better for our pup.

Based on all this information, what do you think? I am also considering getting a second opinion from another vet.

Thanks for the feedback!

Re: New Member: Leg skin healing and insulin issues (Bailey).

Hello and welcome

First off i dont see a recent curve. Changing insulin amount only on results of the curve adjust on the lowest number.

I understand your concern about the amount of levemir. Check blood sugar after eating and wait till bg is over 11 mmol to inject.

I.d say around. 11. Mmol is good to avoid organ damage

The eyes are probably being effected by the inflamation and need for more insulin. Cataracts.

Its more common for the majority to read the Novolin curves. I.d consider switching. Go 16lbs times. .25.

It does seem he leg healing could be a regulation issue. Then again the infection is raising his sugar. Decision???

I.ve seen alot of 3 legged dogs very happy. I would be more concerned with Symogi and blindness. Sorry for being honest.

Were here when you need us!
    Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
    20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Levemir is usually not appropriate for smaller dogs like your baily . Its not impossible to regulate but extremely difficult because like you said its 4 times more potent than the other human insulin used in dogs which is NPH

Not sure why your vet selected this insulin for a small dog and its very expensive

On NPH which my jesse has been on for 11 years a starting dose for her would be 5 to 6 units twice a day at 26 pounds . Your dog would be between 3 and 4 . My Jesse ended up being on less than the normal starting dose at 8 units for the entire 24 hour period . That could be less than a unit to start with for Levemir for your pup

For raising the dose with NPH for smaller dogs you may go a half to full unit at most once a week depending on a full glucose curve . I have done quarter unit adjustments . As you can see that's not possible with Levemir

Its very possible your giving to much insulin and thats the reason for poor regulation

Better regulation may help the healing process but your pup got other challenges which may have an impact

Some things maybe not in your control but regulating diabetes is . It maybe worth doing a reset and try a more appropriate insulin like NPH or vetsulin That would take testing blood sugar at home . The process is not difficult but the additional challenges baily has may make it as bit more challenging but not impossible . I have been completely managing jesses diabetes for 11 years without a vets assistance . They just could not put the time in that was required to get her regulated. We can help with that if you want
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your feedback. Once we get his bloodwork results next week I will return with more information. We have to have a serious talk with our vet regarding this and to see if we can change to vetsulin or nph. If we don't get the answers we want, we will look elsewhere. I relayed all your information to my folks who own and take care of our dog.

I recommended reseting his insulin back to his weight but they said regardless if it has been .5,1,1.5,2 U etc his diabetes has been all over the place. They don't think reseting will help unless the vet gives then the go ahead after the blood work. Me, I think reseting to .7 and incrementing .05 is the way to go given its potency.

We really need to start educating ourselves on this proper instead of just running with vet recommendations imo.

Thanks for your help so far. Means a lot to us.

Comment

Thats a good plan.
          A vet that doesnt do full curves then adjusts insulin accordingly is not. For your dog.
          Putting a small dog on a very strong insulin is wrong.
          I wouldnt waste your time on this vet and get better care soon for your dog.
          Please post curve results when you get it.
          You can also hometest and take control of your dogs diabetes. All you need is strips, lancets and a glucose meter.
          Can your parents test blood sugar?
          20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

My parents have the Alphatrax reader and do diabetic curves. We are currently just waiting on the bloodwork results before changing anything.

A little update though.

Although I stressed to bring his insulin down to .7 to reset they want to keep the vet's recommendation before the bloodwork. We have had some success in lowering the sugar in his blood though with green beans. Even with the 4U dose, my father gave him green beans during his own lunch hour and we saw that his glucose decreased to far more manageable levels of 12-15/mmol. Compared to the high 30's.

We tried it for 2 days and we got the same result. So I wonder if we should give him low glycemic index dog approved foods to help with his management. Seems like his regular meals which he has twice a day just spikes his sugar regardless if its designed for diabetic dogs.

What do you think?

Comment

ITs hard to know . For jesses meal its relatively low glycemic but it does have carbs like oatmeal yams and she does get quite a bit of grinded up vegies as her diet is homemade. I mixed and matched till insulin and food matched up good . It is a process . If you find something that works it might be worth further exploration .

I am thinking your vet selected Levemir because your dog is a Cushing dog which can lead to insulin resistance if the dogs Cushing is not well controlled but if it is the dogs regulation should not be any different than a non Cushing dog
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Just a note when you change foods drop back on the insulin one unit at a time slowly. Test bg after eating a must insulin inject only over 11 mmol. Feeding a better diabetic food will drop the insulin requirements.

Comment

Working...
                X