Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction for Aku!

Hello Everyone,

Aku is a Finnish Spitz with Diabetes and has had this disease for going on 2.5 years now. He will be 12 in February. He receives 2 injections a day with u-100 needles of Novolin-N. At about 13 units twice a day.

The poor guy had pancreatitis flare-ups twice (once hospitalized for 6 days and 5 nights). Everyone thought he was dead, and even the vet when I took him home said prepare for his death.

Well, suffice to say, the big guy (only around 35-40 lbs.) decided that vet isn't God and he's going to keep living.

I have him on a KETO-natural dog food but that's for in between meals only. I feed him boiled chicken and ground sirloin with veggies and sweet potatoes, etc.

Well, I hope my knowledge being through so much with him over the last few years plus of this diabetes can help some of you, and you can also help me.

Almost forgot, I adopted him from a rescue when he was going on 7 years old.

Re: Introduction for Aku!

great you rescued Aku..youve done a good job with him. i rescued Riliey from an over crowded pet store.

i fed my dog just meat and a veggie but he didnt get his proper calories. i either fed too much or too little. i started him on a good quality dog food and fed the amount suggested on that food feed guide. feeding the same amount of food twice a day is just as important as giving insulin. people will be in to comment as most homecook and weigh out there calories.

i also had him weighed frequently as getting a diabetic dog regulated needs correct amount of one food twice daily and injecting insulin according to weight .

most importantly i hometested doing weekly curves adjusting insulin amount according to the lowest number.

i also tested after he ate and injected insulin when Riles was over 200.

take care, ask away any questions you have

mo
    Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
    20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Re: Introduction for Aku!

Nice to meet you and Aku!

I hate pancreatitis... so far, I've never had a dog suffer from it personally and I hope it stays that way.

Natalie

Comment

Working...
      X