Abby's Story - 12.24.1999 to 12.31.2013 - Forever in our hearts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Abby's Story

That's always a good thing. It's amazing how sensitive they can be to little changes in ingredients as well.
    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

I am worried about Abby, and she has been to the vet several times these past weeks.

About two weeks ago, she was getting relatively good numbers, and all of a sudden starting getting high fasting numbers 400s and 500s, and she would not go down too much during the day... to the 300s. I took her in to the vet, because about a few days later, she just acted off. Sort of slow, and I noticed that she shook her head more than usual.

He diagnosed her with perhaps a possible ear infection, saw some slight bacteria and yeast. Prescribed Clavamox, and ear drops.

Last evening, she was excited about eating, but shortly after I could see that she was shaking... her fasting number was about 500, so I knew it wasn't low blood sugar, and realized it was pain. She ate about 1/2 her food, and then you could tell something was going on. I gave her 1 unit of Humalog, and I went to pet her, and she had a size of a golf ball lump on the side of her neck, and it was not there earlier. I was so surprised, and immediately took her to our vet, thinking the worse.

He did an aspirate of the lump, and went to the lab and reported that it could be an insect bite, there were some while blood cells, but mostly fluid. What was very strange, was that the lump decreased on the way to the vet, and while we waited for the report, it reduced even more.

He put her on a low antibiotic, in case it was a spider bite, called Orbax. What is the troublesome part, is when we got home, she decided to eat again, and the lump got bigger again. She ate about 1/2, of her food, and between the first 1/2 and the second 1/2 decided to give her 6 units (she has been running high). He mentioned to increase her insulin 1/2 unit, which I started this AM, so she now is at 6.5

She ate all of her food today, but everytime she eats the lump gets larger, as if it is irritated, and you can tell she has discomfort. She hasn't shaken like she did last evening, so if there is pain, it is less than what she had last evening.

My concern is that this may be an infection that has been going on, due to the high blood sugar, and perhaps the lymph nodes are inflamed due to this infection. But the initial prescription of Clavamox I would have thought would have taken care of this, however, all the while she has been on Clavamox her blood sugar has stayed high.

I am going to call him again today. Neither one of these visits included a blood test, even though I did suggest it during the first visit. I will bring it up again today, and perhaps bring her in again.

Barb
      Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Oh Barb, I know tha panic of not knowing what it is you're dealing with. I've never heard of anything like that, you wouldn't think an insect bite would cause the lump to get bigger when she eats...and the higher numbers came before the lump?
        Poor Abby, the things these little babies have to endure..its so unfair.
        Keep us posted and I hope the vet has some good news for you guys..sending you guys lots of love and positive thoughts
        Danielle and Ollie - 10.5 yo Silky Terrier May 17, 2003 - February 15, 2014. diagnosed Dec 28, 2012. See you on the other side Baby Bear.

Comment

Prayers for Abby. Wonder if she would tolerate coated aspirin (assuming she has not been on any NSAIDs or steroids recently)? Maybe the aspirin would provide some additional inflammation relief. Shaking in pain - it's so difficult to read about one of our fur babies on here hurting. Hope you are able to sort things out soon and that she starts feeling better. Hugs to you both!
          Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Poor Abby. Her blood glucose will stay higher given the clavamox. Forbin had lymphoma and nothing reduced his lymph nodes but prednisone so I wouldn't be concerned there but would want a blood test to see what's giving on given the discomfort.
            Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

oh Barb I hope they figure it out today
              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

OH man....poor baby! Please keep us posted with any updates - hope you can figure it for the poor girl...
                Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

First let me say how sorry I am for what you are going through.

I know from experience that when several of my dogs had liver issues, their liver numbers were brought back to normal by giving them Denosyl. I still give them Denosyl as a maintenance dose, even my diabetic dog. This is made by NutraMax labs. They have a website. My vet put them on this and there are no side effects, so it is safe to keep them on indefinitely.

I use the alpha trak2 meter and if you can give a shot, you will easily get used to testing. I use the callouses on his elbows and feet to test.

Comment

Oh Barb,
                    So sorry for Abby's troubles. I just know she is in the best hands, and hopefully this will smooth out. Know Sissy and I are thinking of you and hope for a fast resolution..
                    Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

Originally posted by peggy0 View Post
                      Poor Abby. Her blood glucose will stay higher given the clavamox. Forbin had lymphoma and nothing reduced his lymph nodes but prednisone so I wouldn't be concerned there but would want a blood test to see what's giving on given the discomfort.
                      Peggy, this was my first thought. But the Vet stated that considering it came on so quickly, and then reduced in size, he sort of ruled this out.

I am beginning to think it may be an abscess tooth, perhaps? I have been searching the internet, for probably causes.

Barb

Comment

Barb my first thought was tooth when I read it. Ranger had a horribly inflamed tooth that caused a huge lump in his neck. The vet and I both did not think it was tooth related till he got in there.
                        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by Judi View Post
                          Barb my first thought was tooth when I read it. Ranger had a horribly inflamed tooth that caused a huge lump in his neck. The vet and I both did not think it was tooth related till he got in there.
                          Considering the lump changes size, and get really large when she eats.... I am beginning to think so, and this would defintely be the reason why she has such irradic numbers.

A few days prior to all of this, she had a lowish number of 60, but fasting numbers in the high 100s. All of sudden this seem to come on, and he thought at first it was a ear infection.

It is good to know that Ranger had something similar. The vet can't get in to really look at her teeth, even though I get a brush in there.... because she tries to bite him. Last night he put a muzzle on her, but that sort of defeated the purpose of any checking in the mouth.

Barb

Comment

My vet put his thumb in Ranger's mouth when he was trying to feel the lump. I've never heard my needy psychotic boy shriek in pain like he did that day. Not a good way to find out.

keep us posted

Comment

Barb
                              Sorry to hear about Abby
                              In a human I would suspect salivary gland obstruction maybe. However a bad tooth,
                              Please keep us posted.
                              Eddie is a 14yr old Rat Terrier Who is very well loved.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart

Comment

Barb,
                                Sorry to hear that Abby is not feeling well... It seems when it rains it pours, I hope the vet is able to find the root of the problem soon.
                                Please keep us updated on her and I will be sending positive thoughts your way.
                                Dawn
                                Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

Working...
                                X