Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Understanding Pepper's Juvenile Diabetes

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
    I think you will have a problem if you feed Pepper all day. I understand because I had a dog who refused food for weeks except very small amounts. It is tough but maybe you could substitute some of that food for a more suitable snack. Is there any way to switch your feeding and insulin schedule so you could wait to feed her - some dogs are not hungry in the morning. I don't know if that will work with your schedule or not but if possible you might could go to 9:30 and 9:30. I would try to get her to a twelve hour schedule if at all possible.

If she doesn't eat breakfast, you could give whatever proportion of insulin to whatever she ate. 1/2 meal/1/2 insulin, etc. then, don't keep offering it. Try some green beans or a piece of boiled chicken if she can't stand it. Then, feed her at normal mealtime.
    Oh my goodness!!! I took your advice and it has worked WONDERS!!!!!! I have changed Pepper's feeding time to 9:30 am and 9:30 pm and she is eating all her food in one sitting and is gaining weight!!!! Thank you, thank you!!!
    Miss Pepper Potts: born November or December 2014; diagnosed March 9, 2015; weight 12 lbs; 5-units Vetsulin twice daily

Comment

Pepper is making great progress. She still struggles with eating, having a week of success followed by a week of tricking her into eating. Her blood sugar is running on the high end and we are still increasing regularly as we work to regulate it. Pepper still drinks lots of water and urinates all over the rug. Grrr! BUT, she is gaining weight!!!!, her coat is soft and smooth, and she PLAYS!!!! (tug-of-war and chase are her favorites) with the kids. (Sorry for the exclamation points. We are very excited.) The change we made recently was so simple but made a huge difference. She is fed an hour and a half later than before. Apparently, Pepper is not a morning person and would rather eat her first meal at 9:30 than 8:00am!!!! Man I wish she would have told me that weeks ago! What a difference 90 minutes has made for our baby girl! At 18 weeks 3 days, our Shepherd Mix is almost 11 pounds and we could not be happier!!!!
      Miss Pepper Potts: born November or December 2014; diagnosed March 9, 2015; weight 12 lbs; 5-units Vetsulin twice daily

Comment

So glad to hear that things are looking up for Pepper :-)
        Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

When you say increasing regularly, I would be very careful and give any increase 5-7 days to settle and do a curve before increasing any more insulin.
          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

When you say increasing regularly, I would be very careful and give any increase 5-7 days to settle and do a curve before increasing any more insulin.
            Oh yes, amydunn19! We are only increasing after 7 days and with closely monitoring her blood sugar. Thank you!

Comment

Ok just checking
              Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

There is some latitude with a very young diabetic as a week is a long time when they are puppies and they are constantly growing and thus their insulin needs can be increasing steadily as they grow.

Natalie

Comment

Update on Pepper. She is coming up on 5 months! We have seen the vet this week and she is weighing in at a wapping 12 lbs 4 oz!!! Celebrating this weight gain victory as we have struggled with eating. Her insulin is up to 5 units, set to increase in two weeks based on her blood sugar numbers. Her blood sugar is still running high. She stays in the 400 and 500s. The vet is being very cautious with increasing her insulin. I am struggling with this. I want to give Pepper's body enough time to register the insulin increase but we are waiting two weeks before increasing her insulin and her blood sugar is consistently too high. We are trying to help by going on more walks each day but I cannot do it regularly.

Pepper has developed a weeping wound on her left shoulder. Initially, she had a small bump that later became crusty and now is an open, seeping wound. I know it bothers her because she mouths me when I am giving her insulin (it is close to her injection sight). It will scab over in the mornings and by afternoon it is open again. My guess is she is scratching it. She has had it for several weeks and now we are treating it with a topical antibiotic. I imagine this can affect her blood sugar as well. My goodness this girl!!!

I want to end with more victories. We have landed on a food that she is eating. We have tried several foods to encourage her to eat which would work for a week and she was back to not eating. For the past two weeks Pepper has been offered 1/4 cup of boiled chicken with a heaping cup of dry dog food and 1/2 cup of warm water!!!! Success!!!! Next, our Pepper is peppy!!! We have had a lethargic puppy for so long that we are rejoicing over a puppy who wants to play, wants to go for walks, and overall appears to be energetic!!!!

Thank you all again for your wonderful comments and advice! Keep them coming!!!!
                  Last edited by Lieder2; 04-25-2015, 11:35 PM. Reason: Forgot to add...

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
                    There is some latitude with a very young diabetic as a week is a long time when they are puppies and they are constantly growing and thus their insulin needs can be increasing steadily as they grow.

Natalie
                    I am struggling with our vet in this area, Natalie. Not sure if staying where we are is the best thing for her or if we need to see someone else. I appreciate their caution but struggle with waiting two weeks before increasing her insulin. Especially because she continues to run high!!!!

Teri

Comment

hi Teri

glad you found a food she likes.

this wound on her shoulder needs to be seen by the vet asap. she probably needs more than a topical antibiotic and possible pain pills.

this can definately reak havok on her blood sugar
                      Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                      20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Have you done a curve recently? When was she raised to 5 units?

If there is certainty that she is staying in the 400 and 500's then there is no reason to wait. As long as she has had enough time to adjust to 5 units.

Also, the wound could be causing some highs.

Comment

Originally posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
                          hi Teri

glad you found a food she likes.

this wound on her shoulder needs to be seen by the vet asap. she probably needs more than a topical antibiotic and possible pain pills.

this can definately reak havok on her blood sugar
                          The vet saw her on Thursday (4/23), checked for bacteria, and gave us the antibiotic. We are watching it carefully and will move to oral antibiotic if this does not work. They are very conservative and I am considering looking for another vet.

Comment

Have you done a curve recently? When was she raised to 5 units?

If there is certainty that she is staying in the 400 and 500's then there is no reason to wait. As long as she has had enough time to adjust to 5 units.

Also, the wound could be causing some highs.
                            Doing a curve today. All her numbers are in the 500s. I plan on raising after today if her curve was high. Thank you!

Comment

I agree with you that the vet is being too conservative. That blood sugar level is bordering on completely unregulated. Blood sugar in the 200s and low 300s would give much better control and no risk.

With a growing dog, risk of hypo is pretty low. The need for insulin will naturally be constantly increasing as Pepper grows.

If the vet won't be more aggressive, I would explore options. Or start managing the dose yourself.

Natalie

Comment

One of our juvenile diabetics - haven't had an update in a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X