Reminder: Kinostat clinical trial re cataracts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reminder: Kinostat clinical trial re cataracts

drmvz reminded me that there is a clinical trial of Kinostat, a drop that may be able to arrest the development of cataracts if given early in the process of their development.

You can get information about the study at the following links.

Facebook Page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kinostat/263152210431179

Clinical Page

http://therapeuticvision.com/

Re: Reminder: Kinostat clinical trial re cataracts

My dog is on the Kinostat study, and so far he has absolutely no sign of cataracts. He has only been on the study for 2 months, but the ophthalmologist said that the majority of diabetic dogs will show signs of cataract formation (when their eyes are dilated) within 2 months of diagnosis. So far it seems to be working.
    Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Wow, I just saw this. I sure hope it turns out well. It would be such a great help for so many.

Comment

Yes, I'm very hopeful about it. The vet seemed to feel that it will soon have FDA approval and be available on the market for all dogs. I really hope that's the case!!!!!!!
        Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

I sure do as well! Then to get all the vets on board about this when it is available! Not always easy to do.

So what happens after 29 months of treatment? Do they know? I'll use the link that was provided and read some of the papers.
          Last edited by spiritdog6; 06-02-2014, 08:53 AM.

Comment

The trial is actually 9 months long, and the medication is just eye drops that are given every 8 hours. Sparky has to go to the veterinary ophthalmologist for checkups after 1 month, 2 months, 3 months, 6 months, and 9 months. For the first 9 months, there's a 2 in 3 chance he'll get the real thing and a 1 in 3 chance he'll get placebo, but no one will know which one he's getting. After 9 months, he will definitely get the real drug, and will continue to get it for free until it is available on the market. Right now, while he's in the study, the only we paid for is the initial visit to the ophthalmologist and that will be refunded to us at the end of the study. Everything is provided at no charge - the office visits, eye exams, lab work, and eye drops. Right now, the ophthalmologist said he thinks Sparky is probably on the real thing because even though his glucose has been pretty poorly controlled (he's only been diagnosed for 3 months, and we're still struggling to get him regulated) he has absolutely no evidence of cataract formation at all, and most dogs will show some evidence of cataracts after just 2 or 3 months of being diabetic (the regular vet would not normally see the early formation of cataracts - they would only be visible when the dog's eyes are dilated). So far it's really good news. I'm really hoping we're going to be able to save his vision.

Comment

I was just wondering which location is conducting the trial? I am trying to find a location that is still conducting the study to see if I can get my dog in it. The clinic in Virginia is no longer conducting the study and I am waiting to hear back from Eye Care for Animals located in Maryland.

Comment

Working...
              X