Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Interim CC

Default Re: Jessie, Min schnauzer just dx-ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty View Post
I don't think it would be too hard to teach them to home test. Even if they just took the readings before meals and took Jessie to the vet for the rest of the curve that would be helpful if you can talk them into trying .

Then they would have the knowledge in case an emergency came up. You are doing great Kim. I know you are taking it one step at a time with them as they are ready.

Natalie often recommends the OneTouch Ultra2 for medium and large dogs. It has a good track record. There are tricks for getting test strips cheaper than retail stores as well.

But honestly whatever meter you get you can always compare to the vets lab to find out how accurate it is.

Rubbing karo on the dog's gums will bring them out of hypo. You can also use honey or pancake syrup then follow with some food as the karo won't last long.
I think this whole thing will convince them to home test - but if I understood you correctly you are recommending we take her in first thing in the a.m. right? If so then they can't do it in the a.m.

Are they better off taking her in in the a.m. for the curve and getting the machine later or are you saying reduce to 6 1/2 and then go get a machine and do the curve later? I am thinking NOT but want to confirm. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Unfortunately many vets don't get a lot of diabetes specific training in school. So it's a steep learning curve to figure out what to do.

So, ultimately if it were my dog I would:

Reduce insulin to 6.5 units at next shot

After a few days schedule a curve at the vets starting with blood draw first thing in the am and every 2 hours after

If they are able to use urine sticks they could try to get a reading before food/insulin that morning

Have the vet photocopy the results for your folks to take home and post here so we can help you

Move in smaller dosing increments such as 1/2 unit at a time

See if they will give home testing a try

Patty
Old 04-12-2010, 07:58 PM

Are you scheduled for a curve tomorrow? It wouldn't hurt to have a spot check done on her to see how low she is. But I would still reduce the insulin no matter what in the morning.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:00 PM

I think this is great advise Kim Do they do urine tests to check for ketones?

Last edited by peggy0; 04-12-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Interim CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty View Post
Are you scheduled for a curve tomorrow? It wouldn't hurt to have a spot check done on her to see how low she is. But I would still reduce the insulin no matter what in the morning.
No - she just had a "curve" today. She isn't scheduled to go back in for two weeks!

So basically they will disobey the vet and then call to tell them they did it (they can blame me) and schedule a curve with readings every "how often?" for an entire work day.

Which strips should I send them out to buy? Is there a link on how to use them? I'll have them do it tomorrow.

You are saving my sanity so you know.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Interim CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggy0 View Post
I think this is great advise Kim Do they do urine tests to check for ketones?
I brought up ketones once and they (parents) said "what are they"? Stepdad said vet never mentioned them and I forgot to put that on his list to ask them this a.m. I do not know if they (vet) tested them.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:12 PM

No - she just had a "curve" today. She isn't scheduled to go back in for two weeks! I would schedule a curve after having been on 6.5 units for 5 days.

So basically they will disobey the vet and then call to tell them they did it (they can blame me) and schedule a curve with readings every "how often?" for an entire work day. What time do they give her shot/food Kim? I would be there first thing in the morning for immediate blood draw. So if they draw at 8am then it would be:
8am
10am
12pm
2pm
4pm
and right before they close to pick her up.

Which strips should I send them out to buy? Is there a link on how to use them? I'll have them do it tomorrow. Your meter will have instructions in the box. If you want to use the OneTouch Ultra2, I think it runs around $30. The strips to get started if you buy retail are going to be around $1 per strip. But after that I can direct you to links that are half that.

You don't have to buy that meter, I'm just putting it out there as one I'm familiar with.

You are saving my sanity so you know. You are quite a guardian angel for Jessie
Old 04-12-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frijole View Post
I brought up ketones once and they (parents) said "what are they"? Stepdad said vet never mentioned them and I forgot to put that on his list to ask them this a.m. I do not know if they (vet) tested them.
Have them pick up a bottle of KetoDiastix if they don't have any while they're out.

Even if they don't understand ketones, they can catch the urine (I use a Dixie cup, others use a plastic container or old ladle). Dip the stick in the urine and pull out. Then compare the color square on the bottle for ketones at 15 seconds and glucose at 30 seconds.

Anything more than trace ketones is cause for concern and should be seen by a vet immediately.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Interim CC

OK. I realised they might go to bed and get up and not check emails so I just called them to tell them that we were recommending a reduction to 6.5 in the morning.

Boy that was a fun conversation.. "Who are these people?" "Boy I'm going to have to chew on this - I hate to disagree with the vet" Sigh.

I just spent 5 minutes begging him to listen to us. I think he will but he might not yet be sold. I told him if Jessie were my dog I wouldn't even think of going 10 units. But any addtl info would be helpful.

I told him the doc doesn't have a full picture of what is going on to justify the increase and the risk is dangerous.

????????
Old 04-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Interim CC

They feed her at 7 and give shot afterwards