Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Member Margaret and Lucy

Originally posted by Cara's Mom View Post
    I do have an UltraSmart somewhere in my "collection"...too many buttons...too complicated...too much info!! Did not like it!!
    Just my opinion

Thanks Marion I think I will go for the one touch ultra 2 if you say too many
    buttons I will stick with the easier option. Is it the one you use I can't remember? I think Kathy uses this one.

Thanks again
    Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

Originally posted by We Hope View Post
      Margaret,

It looks like the UltraSmart has more "bells and whistles" than the Ultra2:

http://www.lifescan.co.uk/OurProduct...ltraSmart.aspx

Ultra Smart--

"More than a meter, the OneTouch UltraSmart Meter gives you the option to track exercise, health, medication and food to see how they affect your diabetes."

http://www.lifescan.co.uk/OurProduct...uchUltra2.aspx

Ultra 2--

"Clear testing instructions
      "Test right every time

"Easy- to-use buttons
      "Find your way around the meter even faster"

Honestly don't think you'd be using what the UltraSmart is offering in the way of keeping track of exercise and the rest. Going to guess that the UltraSmart costs more than the Ultra2 because of all the "extras" that come with it.

If I'm wrong here and you can get a nice buy on the UltraSmart as opposed to the Ultra2, then take it. Because the meter comes with all of these features doesn't mean you have to use them. It looks like the UltraSmart is an Ultra2 with the extras shown.

Kathy

Thanks Kathy,
      I agree with you I do not want a complicated one Marion says it has too many buttons I think I have decided now I will ask at my chemists they may order it for me. If not I will go to Lifescans web site.

Once again thank you.

Comment

Hi Dolly,
        I am sending you this again because I think I was logged off last time. I have decided to buy the One Touch Ultra 2 then the fun will begin my vet is quite happy about this and he will have me in and compare the two meters. He also said I can e-mail him the readings and he will help me through it all. How long did it take to regulate your Niki?

LOL

Comment

I have an UltraSmart. It's just as easy to use really but I don't use all the extra bells and whistles on it. I think your money is better spent on the Ultra 2, in my opinion. I got mine free which is why I use it
          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

HI Patty,
            I am sending this again as i think I was logged off last time. I got your info.
            Lucy has had e-coli in the past but also this one which is called Kebcella do not ask me about it I would have too read up on it. I had long chat with the vet this morning and he wants a sample in on Thurs for cultures he wants to rule out an infection or Somogy but he thinks her insulin may need increased again but he is taking things very slowly he has told me just to keep her at 14iu's meantime.
            I am in the process of buying a glucometer and he is quite happy with this he says to bring it in and he will compare the two meters for numbers. I cannot find D-Mannose here yet

Comment

Hi Margaret,
              Out of curiosity I looked up Klebsiella. Here's one link that talks about it: http://www.personalmd.com/news/klebsiella_102299.shtml

That's good your vet is doing a culture and looking into possible rebound. Sounds like you have a vet that's willing to work with you. That's great.

This is the D-Mannose I use here in the states for comparison: http://www.nutritiongeeks.com/d-mann...nnose-now.html

I found one online in the UK that looks like it's a little more money for the quantity: http://www.waterfall-d-mannose.com/label.htm Do you have a natural food type of store near you? They may carry it as well.
              Take care,
              Patty
              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Originally posted by Patty View Post
                Hi Margaret,
                Out of curiosity I looked up Klebsiella. Here's one link that talks about it: http://www.personalmd.com/news/klebsiella_102299.shtml

That's good your vet is doing a culture and looking into possible rebound. Sounds like you have a vet that's willing to work with you. That's great.

This is the D-Mannose I use here in the states for comparison: http://www.nutritiongeeks.com/d-mann...nnose-now.html

I found one online in the UK that looks like it's a little more money for the quantity: http://www.waterfall-d-mannose.com/label.htm Do you have a natural food type of store near you? They may carry it as well.
                Take care,
                Patty
                I see you got the correct spelling of it I could not make him out this morning.
                Good for you I have also been on your link and read about it now I know why Lucy has to have Gentamicin when she has it. I will search about for D-Mannatose. I will Google it the company I deal with does not have it.

Thanks Pattyxx

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret Boyle View Post
                  Dolly I sent an e-mail to you but I dont think it was posted can you let me know.
                  No I did not get it, I usually get a box when i sign in when i get a message.
                  Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret Boyle View Post
                    Hi Dolly,
                    I am sending you this again because I think I was logged off last time. I have decided to buy the One Touch Ultra 2 then the fun will begin my vet is quite happy about this and he will have me in and compare the two meters. He also said I can e-mail him the readings and he will help me through it all. How long did it take to regulate your Niki?

LOL
                    I am sitting here half grining and laughing as to how long it took, but at the time it was not funny. When Niki was dx she did not get regulated until about 6 mo later and then some, my first vet was an idiot, she had me coming in there once a week and based the insulin increases on the 1 blood draw, time went by 3 months- 4 months sheer hell I was crying, upset, I found the boards, got the help I needed, found a new vet, Niki's been doing better ever since, except she went blind and I blame that on the vets incompetence. Ah..you can't go back in time, but I will never forgive the vet.

So with help from the board, I learned, I never was told from the vet about a curve, or home testing or adding veg's to diet, or the dangers of increasing insulin as she had done and made Niki go into shock, I don't think the vet was educated in rebound.

So after all of this, finding knowledge, reading help pages, internet searches I somewhat got a handle on things and took Niki's care in my hands and never looked back.

oh ps, the less complicated the meter the better.
                    Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

I'm likin' your vet's attitude! That's great!!

Comment

Sorry Dolly I keep getting logged off. Any way you have given me hope.
                        We all have had vets who have not known enough about diabetes. I blame all the prednisolone jabs that Lucy had nothing will convince me otherwise. She is still here and that is the main thing. There were a lot of issues and they were not picked up and like you I was very bitter about it all but we have to move on.
                        I have ordered my One Touch Ultra 2 I do not get it until the end of the week (then the fun will begin) I have done a lot of humans but not dogs! Anyway there will be a lot more questions to come????

LOL

Comment

Margaret,

There is such a thing as steroid-induced diabetes.

http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Cortisone

If you go through some of the feline case studies on the wiki, you will see that it happens a lot, particularly with cats.

http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Ca...-induced_cases

The good part is that you know how to use a meter! We have enough folks here testing in enough places to get you on the road with testing Lucy in no time flat!

Kathy

Comment

Margaret, I know you'll get the hang of it
                            Oh, I think I have to change my mail so you can email, I'll do that now and send you a hello.
                            Last edited by eyelostit; 03-03-2009, 08:53 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by eyelostit View Post
                              Margaret, I know you'll get the hang of it
                              Oh, I think I have to change my mail so you can email, I'll do that now and send you a hello.
                              Dolly what do you mean change your mail?

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Patty View Post
                                I have an UltraSmart. It's just as easy to use really but I don't use all the extra bells and whistles on it. I think your money is better spent on the Ultra 2, in my opinion. I got mine free which is why I use it
                                Hi Patty,
                                Got my One Touch Ultra 2 today I have not read it all yet and I do not know the in's and out's yet especially the numbers but I will find this all out. Speak to you soon.I have not read everyone's stories yet but I am getting there. I have so many questions and I do not know the best person to ask. Would it be Natalie and Kathy?

LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X