Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-09-2022, 12:20 AM

Default Re: New diabetic ,first at home curve. I need help understanding.

heres some info

Choose the right CBD extract. All pet CBD extracts should contain less than 0.3% THC. This is the official threshold below which CBD products are considered non-intoxicating and non-psychoactive (not capable of causing a high).

https://cbd-oil-canada.ca/shop/cbd-f...-oil-for-dogs/
Old 03-11-2022, 09:01 AM

Default Diabetic ketoacidosis

Oliver spent the night in the er vet hospital , he stopped eating and drinking. As well as lethargy , his diagnosis is Diabetic Ketoacidosis . He is currently moved to his primary vet and is on iv solutions and meds. I’m beside myself with grief and worry. I have done everything possible , since November his diabetics diagnosis he’s lost 5lbs. Now being 27lbs. He just turned 7. Any kind words or encouragement is much appreciated. The vet says he’s declining. Please help me fix this. Thank you.
His blood work shows no signs of organ issues. Pancreas kidneys liver are all fine. He has an enlarged heart.

Last edited by Kittymjohn; 03-11-2022 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-11-2022, 10:00 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Diabetic ketoacidosis

DKA is a result of high sugar which as you can see can't process nutrients from food
which causes weight loss My Jesse was 5 and was DKA and had pancreatitis she also had a hysterectomy at the same time . She spent 10 days in hospital .

I went to visit her and she gave me the look she wanted to stay . Very calm . She survived and even 6 months later she wasn't out of the woods

In Jesse's case she was a struggle to regulate so I used some fast acting insulin to bring her sugar down from high levels . It was risky but I thought we had nothing to loose .

For Jesse this was not a long term regulation process. It was just a short term way to stabilize her and not allow her to remain high for a large part of the day . I actually became her insulin pump. Lots of testing bloodsugar and insulin injections .

Once I figured what would work which was one meal a day and 3 nph shots I could give up the fast acting insulin and we got on a good routine that lasted 10 years .

So there is hope . Your pup is young . Depending on the situation determines the amount of risk
My Jesse never had a low blood sugar event with all that fast acting intervention but like I said I tested allot

Now the vet may not be allot of help and may not agree with a program like this . They may stay to conservative . Most do have experience with fast acting at the clinic but outside and at home it is usually not suggested.

Now I can't know what's the correct approach for your dog . May come home and have decent results with nph or vetsulin insulin twice a day . Most dogs if you can get into the 300s and some 200s for most of the day the risk of DKA is small if at all . You can test for ketones at home . Positive thoughts for you pup
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021
Old 03-11-2022, 10:39 AM

Smile Re: Diabetic ketoacidosis

figuring out what works best for Oliver is the key

right amount of insulin for his 27 lbs to meet up with the right amount of food.

topping up his food with salmon oil or any topper he likes will work.

always a food he likes.

were here for you. keep us updated please

get well Oliver
Old 03-12-2022, 05:19 AM

Thank you so much. I have so much research to do. Currently he is eating Natural balance duck &potato 1 cup twice daily. Iím interested in homemade food for him. Do you have a good recipe I can try? Oliver is allergic to chicken, it cause inflammation and double ear infections. With his arthritis Iím looking to decrease all inflammation I can.
Old 03-12-2022, 10:34 AM

his natural balance is a good quality dog food.

heres a link, good read, to calculate food for homecooking.

https://www.dognutrition.com/dog-food-calculator/

hows Oliver doing?
Old 03-13-2022, 09:41 AM
Founding Member

Jesse's homemade diet that worked for her was canned mackerel , hard boiled egg , chicken breast ,( did use grounded beef heart before chicken ) . The rest is vegetables grind up in a food processor served raw but latter in life I cooked them to ease digestion . I covered a large variety of veggies from kale, broccoli, cauliflower,carrots ,beets , bok choy, collard greens and others that sounded fun as they were all mixed up together and did not matter on the combination of the different varieties and amount on bloodsugar for her . She also had cooked vegetables like pinto beans and sweet potato yams . I sprinkled yeast flakes on top for flavor and a splash of lemon juice . The only supplement I added was calcium with I grind up egg shells in a coffee grinder but I may have not needed with the canned mackerel .

I gave a quarter cup of vegetable matter . A quarter cup of chicken , 1 hardboiled egg ,1 bite size mackerel , bite size of yam and quarter cup of pinto beans . I cooked the pinto beans and chicken in a pressure cooker . I made enough for maybe 5 days . It was easy for my 26 pound Jesse and there was just a handful of days she did not dive in and eat . We did not need exact measurements or weight to attain good steady blood sugar . Maybe the one meal helped with that.

Now like I said she only ate one full meal a day . Her routine was quite unique but it worked very well for her . This is something i developed up on my own .

The key for me with food is a dog wants to eat it day in day out , enjoy to consume , easy on digestion ( good stools ) and adequate blood sugar which depends on each dogs unique situation.
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
Old 05-12-2022, 09:11 AM

Default Off balance and wobbly

Oliver a 7yr old 29lb terrier mix takes 12 units Noviln N twice a day, has become off balance on our walks. This started a week ago has happened four times , his blood sugar was 476 after this happened , I rushed him to the vet.
I assumed it was heat or arthritis related, it only happens on a walk. Within 6 months of being diagnosed he has gone blind in one eye. Oliver is currently at the vet having a curve test. The vet is thinking possible kidney failure. 😭🥲😘🐶 Any guidance would be helpful. Please give me advice on your experiences.
Thank you I love this community for all your knowledge and emotional support.
Old 05-15-2022, 07:10 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Off balance and wobbly

You might need a bit more information to completely rule out low blood sugar or dropping bloodsugar which can cause a dog to get wobbly on a walk . Test right before the walk if you haven't . My Jesse's could drop a 100 points or more just chewing on a bone . She also could spike up very quickly off a low point

If low blood sugar is completely eliminated from the equation then I guess it can be many things and outside of diabeties . Now you can't eliminate the possibility that high sugar could be the problem . Maybe taking a walk with lower sugar (maybe in the 200s) and see what happens

Always carry a pack of some kind of liquid sugar just in case

Taking a video could help with a diagnosis and provide to the vet. My Jesse had epilepsy which she had seizures to make her unsteady and it had happened on walks

If it's only with walking then that's something to work with in diagnosing your pup . You have to be a detective . Is your dog lethargic before going ? My Jesse was early in her diagnosis . Things may get better with better regulation . Do recommend doing curves at home and can give results to the vet . Better to test in the normal environment.

So many possibilities like maybe a heart problem . How has regulation been and how long being diabetic?
Old 05-20-2022, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Off balance and wobbly

Oliver blood sugar was 476 after that walk, a exam and curve was done that day. The dr said his blood test was all over the board very high and very low. Oliverís blood sugar during his curve was between 585-345. Our vet believes Oliver had had several panic attacks while at the vets office, causing the crazy numbers. Oliverís dr ruled out kidney failure. He believes itís the beginning of neuropathy. Even though this is happening in both front and back legs. Also within the 6 months of being diagnosed with diabetes he is 65-70% blind. With no sight in his left eye. Idk, Iím not 100% comfortable with my vet now. Itís just a mommy dog feeling. Oliverís insulin had not increased and continues to take 12 units twice a day. My main focus in life has become making his home clear of obstacles and giving him the best of life. Yes itís been 6 months, should we have started regulating his blood sugar?