Chewy is an angel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chewy is an angel...

Hello Everyone, I'm so thankful that I found this site. We have a 10 year old Lhasa that was just diagnosed with diabetes last Friday. We started him on insulin on Saturday evening, 4 units twice a day. Initially we weren't too devestated with the diagnosis since we have a 12 year old grandson that was diagnosed with diabetes, type 1, 3 years ago. We're pretty used to the routine of testing and administering insulin, dieting control etc. Well, Sunday evening we were administering his meds and when he looked up at us, we saw the "cloudy eyes". We absolutely panicked and got him back to the vets office on Monday morning. Sure enough, cataracts! We are so devestated; the thought of him loosing his eyesight is just more than what we can take.

I've learned all about the operations for the eye problems, the only thing now is the cost of this operation which I was told would be between $5,000-$7,000 in total between the operations themselves and visit with the surgeon.

What a gut wrenching decision this is. Since we've invested most of our savings into a new startup retail company we don't have this kind of extra money that I can justify this type of expense. On the other hand, what "kind" of a pet owner would I be if I didn't get the money from somewhere to have this done for him. The very thought of him not being able to see smiles on our faces or being able to rough house with him is absolutely killing us.

I thought there might be some folks out here that were faced with the same decision and had some insight or advice on what we should do here.

We are so depressed and distraught over this whole thing. I can handle the diabetes disease but how unfair is it that he now has to go blind?

Any comments or advice would surely be welcome here.
    Chewy - 11 year old Lhasa Apso - 27 lbs - Diagnosed with diabetes 2/3/12 - 9 units Humulin twice daily - diet: Royal Canine Diabetes Blend Dry Dog Food

Re: Chewy - 10 year old Lhasa Apso

I have only a moment and will write more later.
    I would suggest seeing an opthamologist for a more detailed examination.
    Choices: The thought of our pets losing their sight is harder on us than it is on them- they adapt very well- some more easily than others.
    I opted for Surgery - which was successful and then had pressure problems which required additional surgery 7 months later- Ed is doing well - he gets eye drops-
    There is always that chance that complications can arise during and after surgery or not all.
    Quite often they have been losing their sight long before we even notice it they just adapt and then we freak out

It is expensive Do your homework- trust your instincts and trust your dog.
    Rememebr they watch and evaluate how we respond.

Take a deep breath

My goodness we are having a run on Lhasa Apsos
    Oh and welcome
    Jj
    Last edited by jjefferjo; 02-07-2012, 10:46 AM.
    Eddie is a 14yr old Rat Terrier Who is very well loved.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart

Comment

Welcome to the board! Much information and is available here. You have joined a supportive family!

Ruffles had old-age cataracts before she was diagnosed with diabetes. She developed some other problems, but the cataracts did not seem to get worse (and she was over 600 for at least 10 days). Others here have had dogs who developed cataracts quickly, as you seem to have experienced. Some have opted for surgery on one or both eyes, and I'm certain you will hear from them. Yes, it's unfair, but they adapt much more quickly than we do.

Watching and wishing the best for you and yours!

Mary

P.S. What is your baby's name?
      Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
      Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
      Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
      Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Just my observation with my Abby..
        Her eyes will tend to be more cloudy when her BG levels are high. She has been dabetic now for about 9 months and she still has her eye sight, and she not regulated.

As Mary stated, at times they do go blind in a few weeks or months. But others on the forum have opted to not get surgery and their dogs adapted very well. I would be undecided as well, even if Abby goes blind, but I think I would take it slow.. it is harder on us than it is on them, their other senses are so much keener, and I do not believe that a dog's eye sight is ever that great, even when they do not have any complications.
        Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

My dog has not yet developed cataracts, but if she does, I do not plan to opt for surgery - unless there is any pain involved or any secondary medical needs. Finances are extremely tight for me right now, and I cannot justify it, especially, as I believe (my opinion only) that they do adapt well and that we tend to project our feelings on to them. We project in two ways: we think they are depressed so any laying down or sleeping is seen as depression when it's just normal, and also if we are horrified or depressed by it, I think they can get saddened by our own sadness, if that makes sense -if everything is dire and no fun anymore, they get dire and down, too. Again, just my take on all of this.

If Zoe gets cataracts, I plan to see how she adapts, and to stay very positive with her, like I would for a human child. No pity, but work with her abilities and solve the little problems that come along. If there is a medical necessity to deal with her eyes, then I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Here endeth my really opinionated post. Please take it with a well-intentioned grain of salt, as I'm not going through what you and your dog are, and I wish you both the best.
          Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

I pretty much echo what Jj wrote.

Annie developed cataracts a couple of months after she was diagnosed about three years ago. We were given some choices: no surgery, most blind dogs do better blind than their human parents; surgery on both eyes; surgery on one eye. The eye vet thought one eye was a good canidate, while the other one was iffy. We went for the surgery for both eyes. Turned out she lost sight in one eye, but we've been able to keep sight in the other. The expense didn't stop with the surgery. She visits her eye vet about every three months and has been on various eye drops.
            Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Hello and welcome.

My Decker was diagnosed in early November 2011. He was started on a dose that was way to high for him and it has resulted in getting him regulated that much more difficult. Three months into this journey his bg still runs in the 300-600 range. It will likely be quite a few more months before that range is lowered because we have to take it slow with him.

I watch each day as I see his eyes become cloudy. And it breaks my heart because I can't stop it. Physically he resembles a lab, however, whatever he is mixed with came with strong herding (and howling) instincts. I struggle to imagine him happy if/when he is no longer able to see.

I've resorted to a denial of sorts for now. Presently he is able to see, how much I don't know and am too afraid to ask. Have decided to take it one day at a time and focus on the big picture for now. He is happy. Loves to bark, chase, herd. Loves to cause chaos in the household. When he is tired or not feeling well he loves to be a 90+ pound lap dog. Loves to hog my feet space (or keep my feet warm?) at night. Trying to enjoy each day as it is. Bottom line... I can't stop it and can't afford surgery to correct it. If and when the time comes it will be up to him to let us know how he is handling things and we'll be there to help him adjust.

Sounds like your Chewy is lucky to have you there to support him as well. Keep up the good work! Hang in there and enjoy the good days. There will be many ups and downs - try to focus on the positive. Post your questions and concerns here and let the forum members help you with the rest. Holli
              Last edited by momofdecker; 02-07-2012, 11:07 AM.
              Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Thank you so much for the quick responses. My dogs name is Chewy. I probably didn't post it right out here; sorry for the mixup.

This all started two weeks ago. My mother lives with us and has a beagle with a tyroid problem. Out of nowhere one of the dogs during the night would go to the bathroom in the house. All of a sudden a little over a week ago, the urine was sticky. We thought it was my mother's dog and she made an appointment to get her dog in to the vet's office last Friday. It dawned on my driving into work that sticky urine could very well mean diabetes so I called my vet and got Chewy in last Friday also. Turns out it was my dog.

And we thought, well, this isn't the worst of things to befall our dog as our grandson has diabetes and we're very used to monitoring his diet, shots, testing etc. whenever he's visiting so although you don't want to see anyone or any pet come down with this disease, it didn't scare us either. He's only 3 lbs overweight so I don't think obesity did this to him.

My vet did say he's coming down with cataracts and that he could go blind over night, she's seen it happen many times.

We've been so careful over the years with their grooming, brushing their teeth, vet visits, good diet, heartworm, vitamins, brushing them every day, and all the other things they need. Cripes, we always tell people, "we don't work for ourseves, we work for our dogs".

Geez, I'm in a real pickle here! It's a relief to know there are other people out there going through the same thing with their pets.
                Chewy - 11 year old Lhasa Apso - 27 lbs - Diagnosed with diabetes 2/3/12 - 9 units Humulin twice daily - diet: Royal Canine Diabetes Blend Dry Dog Food

Comment

Welcome! My Jenny was diagnosed last May and went blind over Labor Day. There was a month or so where she bumped into things and seemed hesitant but she has adapted really well.

We didn't have the funds for the surgery and our eye doctor would have done it 3 1/2 hours away with weekly visits for 6 weeks and who knows what else.

My MIL had to help with dog care over the last month and her boyfriend could not tell which of our dogs was blind they were running around and being poodles.

So, even though every dog is different, hang in there. The folks here gave me so much support when Jenny went blind and I was an emotional wreck.

Just remember that canine diabetes is more like human type 1 but if you get the home testing down that is a huge step. Good Luck! Judi
                  Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Sheesh! Did you have his name in the title and I missed it?!?

My little Izzy is not diabetic, but she's gone blind in the year that I've had her (as a rescue). She does not know the house well since she did not grow up here, but that doesn't stop her from exploring and smelling everything. I take her on short walks (she tires easily; so do I! ) and she will do her business outside, well usually! She likes people and wags her little stub when we come into the house or room, so I know she hears and smells us. We're fighting a skin problem, but since she's been on antibiotics, she's eating better and seems happier.

Keep your attitude as positive as you can and let Chewy enjoy his life as much as he will. You might be surprised! They depend on smell (and perhaps hearing) much more than we do. Remember the progression after their birth: they can smell immediately; sight and sound come later. Hang in there. You are doing awesome things for Chewy by treating his diabetes. Give yourself credit for what you can and are doing!

Cheering you on!

Mary
                    Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her

Comment

Thank you again everyone; what a wonderful group of people!

I feel so much better this afternoon. I'll have my husband read these posts tonight; I'm sure it will help him also. He's so emotional over this blindness. And, due to these posts I think we'll both come to better terms on not opting for the surgery.

Right now, I want to get Chewy regulated. His BG was at 253 this morning. Our vet said that we didn't need to test him twice a day and quite frankly I'm sick of having to stick his lip or ear. Every time I test him, he looks at me as if to say, "why are you hurting me again". I wanted to keep a log of his levels and put it into a line chart for the vet to see peaks and valleys. I thought it might help in regulating him but I don't want to keep sticking him twice a day. That can get sore!

We're concerned with our other Lhasa, Megan. She was born of the same father as Chewy, different mother. The vet said this could very well be hereditary. I hope it's not on the father's side.

Comment

Don't beat yourself up over Chewy's diabetes. It's just something that happens, and probably nothing you could have done to prevent.

Before diabetes, Annie almost never had table scraps and had regular vet check-ups. Just happened!

Your knowledge of diabetes (sorry to hear about the grandchild) will help you with all this. Some say it might even be easier to treat a dog than a person since we can strictly control the diet. Also, dogs seem to have a much wider acceptable range of blood glucose.

Annie, my Lhasa, would love to see a photo of Chewy when you get a chance!
                        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

hi and welcome

we have made thousands of tests on jesses lip over 2 years 5 times a day (she is a bit unstable ) and they dont feel much if anything i know my jesse does not, actually she looks forward to it probably the attention and deep down she knows it helps

when she was low one day she actually ran to her test spot to let me know to test her they are so smart

its great you are testing and recommended by your vet

for me making a test before shot is so important you dont want to give a full dose if chewy is running low .

the 253 is not really high as far as i am concerned my jesse can run from that level to low 100s sometimes lower were we may give some honey on the gums to raise her up a bit

if you have a curve done you can post so we can have a look see
                          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by pd2012 View Post
                            His BG was at 253 this morning. Our vet said that we didn't need to test him twice a day and quite frankly I'm sick of having to stick his lip or ear. Every time I test him, he looks at me as if to say, "why are you hurting me again". I wanted to keep a log of his levels and put it into a line chart for the vet to see peaks and valleys. I thought it might help in regulating him but I don't want to keep sticking him twice a day. That can get sore!
                            Just a reminder that the 253 this morning was just at that point in time. I dont recall if you mentioned Chew's weight, but if in the 18 pound range, your 4 units sounds about right as a starting dosage. What insulin are you using? You, or your vet, will probably want to do a "curve" in the next week to see how that 4 units is working, being sure Chewy doesn't go too low during the day.

Comment

Originally posted by pd2012 View Post
                              I'll have my husband read these posts tonight; I'm sure it will help him also. He's so emotional over this blindness. And, due to these posts I think we'll both come to better terms on not opting for the surgery.

Right now, I want to get Chewy regulated. His BG was at 253 this morning. Our vet said that we didn't need to test him twice a day and quite frankly I'm sick of having to stick his lip or ear. Every time I test him, he looks at me as if to say, "why are you hurting me again". I wanted to keep a log of his levels and put it into a line chart for the vet to see peaks and valleys. I thought it might help in regulating him but I don't want to keep sticking him twice a day. That can get sore!
                              Good for you! Our coming to terms with everything is the best response we can have for our little ones. As serious as it seems to us, blindness is not life-threatening, especially when they have HumanParents who care so much for their needs.

First things first: get Chewy regulated, as you have decided. He should not be feeling much when you prick him, though. You might try another site; I'm convinced Ruffles barely felt us stick her gums and it didn't bother her until many other things began to go wrong, and by then (hindsight speaking here) I think she simply felt rotten all over.

I'm a fan of regular testing because it helped us with Ruffles. In the end, our vet said her diabetes was regulated; it was organ failure that finally became too much for her to handle.

Glad you are here for support and suggestions!

Mary

Comment

Working...
                              X