Jessie, Min schnauzer just dx-ed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jessie, Min schnauzer just dx-ed

Nat, that is what I needed thanks. I just got the OK to phone the vet. That article on the Somogyi Effect helped alot. I am guessing that my stepdad didn't bring up or be specific enough about Jess's increase in thirst and urination. Thanks. Kim

Comment

Kim,
      That is so good to hear!! Keep us posted.
      Patty
      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Those articles you gave me Natalie really hit home with them. My stepdad all of a sudden saw firsthand that the source of your info and recommendation was coming from medical info and not just internet chatter. (even tho I had said this before)

They were going to review everything and get with the vet themselves. My mom said that my stepdad was not understanding the vet and that as is his style, he was embarrassed to ask questions. I told them that they needed to understand this disease and get over the fear of asking questions because Jess' life is on the line. I also told them to have that meeting today for the same reason.

I just got an email that they are meeting with him at 2:30. My mom is going as well which is a good thing because she is not afraid. I told them not to back down from the 6.5 units number and exactly why. If I worked in the same town I would have gone but I am 30 minutes away and today is the busiest day of the year for me... timing...

Fingers crossed.

Comment

That's great Kim! I hope the vet cooperates.

Natalie

Comment

Tell your stepdad that plenty of vets don't really understand diabetes either and should be asking someone who does!

Nobody who has neither a medical degree nor a veterinary degree should feel embarrassed because they don't understand a medical condition!

Wouldn't it be nice if we all were just born understanding Cushing's and Diabetes!! Think of all the time and money and heartache we would have saved ourselves.

Natalie

Comment

Hi Kim,

I just got an email that they are meeting with him at 2:30.

Glad to hear that. Let us know what the vet has to say.
              Luv,

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
                Tell your stepdad that plenty of vets don't really understand diabetes either and should be asking someone who does!

Natalie
                I did tell him that two nights ago when I was trying to convince him to reduce the units. He trusted the degree vs me. It took the documentation you sent me for it to click that we know our stuff.

Haven't heard anything yet. Am on my way home. Fingers, toes, and eyeballs crossed.

Comment

I just spoke w/my stepdad to get the update on how the meeting went with the doc. He said they went over all of my concerns (note "MY" concerns, not theirs) and then asked him for his opinions regarding them.

He said that he is willing to do whatever they want and that we can certainly go with increases of 1/2 unit at a time but that it gets very expensive and takes alot of time. He said 2 units doesn't bother her a bit and he thinks we are close to getting her regulated.

He did check her ketones previously and they were fine. Stepdad reported Jessie's water intake is down and she is active and playful as normal. (I repeated that this doesn't mean there aren't issues)

He said they talked for a long time and at the end they elected to stay at 10 units. I am sick with worry but I really felt that I had to get them involved in this process and let them be the ones that made the decision.

Jess is schedule to go in after 2 weeks at 10 units and they will meet him early - 7:15 so they can do a full curve and get reading prior to insulin dosing.

I cannot thank you enough for the info you provided - at least it created a greater level of involvement and awareness. I feel awful. Kim

Comment

I'm so sorry Kim. you've done what you can. I would think that your step father would be very concerned with a vet that says a dog with BG readings in the 500 is close to being regulated. Very sad. i pray jessie will be ok
                    Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Of course, if they want to save money and make this whole diabetes thing a lot safer, home BG testing would be the way to go. Do you think they are anywhere near ready to give this a go?

(((((hugs))))))

Alison

Comment

Originally posted by peggy0 View Post
                        I'm so sorry Kim. you've done what you can. I would think that your step father would be very concerned with a vet that says a dog with BG readings in the 500 is close to being regulated. Very sad. i pray jessie will be ok
                        He is believing because he wants to believe. I could hardly talk on the phone. Still can't.

Comment

Originally posted by AlisonandMia View Post
                          Of course, if they want to save money and make this whole diabetes thing a lot safer, home BG testing would be the way to go. Do you think they are anywhere near ready to give this a go?

(((((hugs))))))

Alison
                          They weren't concerned about the $ - the vet said it. and oh yeah - I brought that up! As soon as he said that I asked if the vet bothered to mention that there are inexpensive machines that can easily replace those expensive vet bills. He did mention it but they are no where near ready for that (mentally).

When he was describing how playful she was I repeated how a dog has reserves that make them appear normal and then they crash without warning. I minced no words. That is when I told him he couldn't leave her unwatched.

The only positive thing is that my mom is involved and she has a better grasp of the medical issues. She is less trusting of docs. I don't know what else to say. I am truly sickened with worry.

Comment

I'm glad there's a full curve in the works. That should either alert the vet that there's a problem or alert us that she's actually doing okay and we can stop worrying.

If she is playful all the time, I take that as a good sign. Perhaps, given his statement, the blood sugar has improved. If she was going low and rebounding I would expect her to be lethargic at the low point, even if only briefly, and then running high with lots of drinking and urinating the rest of the time. So maybe she is in fact feeling better thanks to better blood sugar.

I still don't like the vet's approach but I'll be perfectly happy to be proven wrong about the insulin dose.

Natalie

Comment

I am praying we are wrong on the dosage
                              Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Hang in there, Kim. You went above and beyond to try to educate everyone. Since your mom is more in the loop now, hopefully she can keep an eye out for any signs of a hypo, treat it appropriately, and get Jessie to the vet pronto if needed. Hopefully there won't be any drama before the scheduled curve.
                                Daisy & Noodle - 9 yr old Lab mix dx 1/09 ~ 51lbs ~ 38U Humulin N, 2x ~ 1 3/4 cups am/pm Blue Buffalo dry, 1/4 can am/pm BB Wilderness.

Comment

Working...
                                X