Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mikey no longer doing well on Trilostane

Hi Glynda,

Thanks for the tip about the Nature's Valley Raw diet..I will look for it today on line. Mikey is eating just boiled chicken breast and brown rice right now and could use additional fiber in his diet. I also let him try beef again last week out of desperation. What a mistake!!! I'm losing my mind!!!
    Thanks for the input about Dr O. I really want to hear from him!!! You've been very encouraging and knowledgeable..I feel like I'm holding my breath!

with best wishes,
    Dorothy and Mikey

Comment

Hi Dorothy,

I totally understand the sheer frustration and the aching you feel for Mikey...you just want him to be better. A lot of us have been where you are and know that there is no overnight cure....it's one day at a time, just like we deal with most things in life.

My five dogs are currently on Primal, hormone and antibiotic free, 100% organic chicken. Based on everything I read, I did not bother to transition them slowly to raw. It was the first time I ever switched them cold turkey. I held my breath because I expected them to have the runnies but instead, it's just like I read and the opposite occured. Immediate firmer poop and less of it.

Here are links to store locators for both Natures Variety and Primal.

http://primalpetfoods.ziplocator.com/
      http://www.naturesvariety.com/locator

We're lucky on the west coast as Whole Foods Market now carries Primal in their California, Nevada, Washington and Oregon stores.

Glynda

Comment

Hi Dorothy,
        Sorry for the typo. Actually I have a pup named Mickee. I hope Mikey starts to feel better soon. Ageeing with Leslie, I think I would stop the Trilo until Mikey is back up to feeling good enough to eat. The old quote around here is to not give Trilo or Lyso to a sick pup.

I stopped giving Roxee Trilo for a few days when she was not feeling well. Waited until she was eating well and re-started.

Hope and pray that Mikey starts regaining his apetite.
        John (Roxee's Dad)

Comment

Hi Dorothy,

Just checking to see if Mikey is doing okay. Hope all is going well for him (and you).

John (Roxee's Dad)

Comment

Hi John,

Thanks for checking in!! Mikey is doing a little better this weekend for some unexplained reason He is eating very well and seems to be more engaging.
            His hair is still coming out continuously..It makes me cry to see him like this but I am grateful that, at least, for now he seems a little happier! I am anxiously awaiting hearing from Dr O. I hope he can answer our e-mail when he gets back. Until then, I feel as I am in a holding pattern and I will try not to make any changes other than the 3mg BID of melatonin which I have added until I can confirm the protocol with him. Our vet has mentioned the melatonin implant as a possibility. Has anyone experienced success with this?

with best wishes,
            Dorothy and Mikey

Comment

Hi Dorothy,

Glad to hear Mikey is feeling a bit better.

Scott's (gpgscott) Moria and also Steph's (corgipallie) Pallie have both had the melatonin implant.

Louise
              I think Scott stopped using it because he had no way of knowing when the effectiveness was wearing off.

And I believe Glynda is also inquiring about it.

Belly rubs to Mikey

John (Roxee's Dad)

Comment

Hi Dorothy,

I'm glad Mikey is doing better! Your vet should have the recommendations listed on the UTK test results. They will list treatment option numbers and those numbers correspond to this list (on their website):

http://www.vet.utk.edu/diagnostic/en...hing's.pdf

Wylie normally didn't have runny or loose stools, but I did switch to raw (Primal with some Nature's Variety). His poops in the past would be formed with medium firmness or somewhat "fluffy", but when I switched to raw... they got really firm and dense (no fluff). Just recently, I picked one of his poops up, and I thought "geez, that's hard as a rock" and then I thought, "that's odd, it's a rough shape". Then I realized...it WAS a rock...the poop was about a foot further than where I picked the rock up!

-Susy

Comment

Hi Dorothy and Mikey,

I was also interested in the Melatonin implant for Harley, Scott posted in my thread
                  Concerning the melatonin implant, Stephanie (corgipalliesmom) still does it, I do not.

As has been mentioned there is no concensus concerning the effective life of the implant, and the needle is large and can cause bleeding and scabbing.
                  For me, the large needle was the major reason I decided not to go with the implant, Harley hates needles. I really have a time with him when he has to get his shots. The scabbing and bleeding I don't know, like they say, every dog is different.

Good luck Dorothy and Mikey.

Comment

Hi Dorothy,
                    Just wanted to check in onyou and Mikey. Hope he is doing well.

John (Roxee's Dad)

Comment

Working...
                    X