Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 10-04-2022, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Diabetic Australian Cattle Dog

Gooday
What meds is Bear taking?
What meds has she taken in her lifetime please?
Old 10-04-2022, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
Gooday
What meds is Bear taking?
What meds has she taken in her lifetime please?
She went to the vet for the first time in her life in September 2021 for an ear hematoma. She had anethesia rom/keta 20-40#, meloxicam injection and vaccinated (rabies, dhpp & lepto). She was sent home with 3mg meloxicam. A year later we were back with this current adventure. She's had omeprazole 25mg and cerenia 60mg. It's just the Vetsulin and Trilostane now.

Almost forgot Fenbendazole preventative dewormer.

Last edited by Zoology1603; 10-04-2022 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-04-2022, 03:44 PM

I did some reading seems meloxicam can induce pancreatitis. In older human females and a small percentage of dogs.

A 40 lb dog dose daily is .045 x 40 is 1.8 .... if the 3mg was too high then she could overdose.

Theres lots of info on metacam, meloxicam if you have time to check
Old 10-05-2022, 05:17 AM

I did look into 'if meloxicam could cause cushings' a little while back but it was not in the list of drugs known to cause cushings in canines.
Old 10-05-2022, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse girl View Post
Tails up . Looks like things are better
Hope for continued success

My vet at the time said I was going to kill Jesse and it was cruel to test her as she gone in to live another 11 years .

Testing is so important early on but of course it's impossible to do this kind of testing at the vets office . As long as a pup is happy and healthy no reason to complain

She's been extremely energetic the last few days, wanting to play fetch and be outside so we must be doing something right. I don't believe we would have gotten here if I had just followed the vet's orders without thinking for myself. I wish we could reverse her cataracts but I know that's not possible.
Old 10-05-2022, 08:44 AM
Founding Member

In general dogs other senses are very useful and sometimes just as important if not more than sight . We as humans place more on perfection than dogs . They live within thier reality . My Jesse never cared she was epileptic or diabetic

I learned allot from Jesse living more in the moment and not worrying so much about what the future may hold .
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Last edited by jesse girl; 10-05-2022 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:54 AM
Interim CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoology1603 View Post
She's been extremely energetic the last few days, wanting to play fetch and be outside so we must be doing something right.
I totally agree. And it makes me so happy to hear how well she’s doing. Just so happy!
Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse girl View Post
In general dogs other senses are very useful and sometimes just as important if not more than sight . We as humans place more on perfection than dogs . They live within thier reality . My Jesse never cared she was epileptic or diabetic

I learned allot from Jesse living more in the moment and not worrying so much about what the future may hold .
I agree with you 100%! While I’ve always been told that dogs don’t live for the future or the past as they only see the “now”, I never fully understood it until Max. Diabetes has left him totally blind, but he really doesn’t seem to care. He’ll bump into things, shrug it off, seem to laugh at himself, but then keep going. It’s almost as if he doesn’t seem to miss his sight. In other words, he isn’t mourning his sight or the past, like a human would… He also isn’t much of a planner for the future either. While I’m now battling kidney failure, he has no problem showing his displeasure at me when I was forced to cut back his chicken to give his kidneys a break… He’d rather have more chicken now and to hell with his kidneys!!
Donna – who finally got it, along with Max the Corgi