Border collie Jack passed away on February 28, 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Border collie Jack passed away on February 28, 2022

I never thought I would do this so soon... Please say hello to Jack!

This is his official SPCA picture. Jeff took a couple last night but I haven't had a chance to pull those or take my own.

Jack is about a year old and has a LOT of energy (did I mention that he's very excited and energetic?!?!? Did I? Huh? Wanna play? I'm bored!). We met him last night and brought him straight home. Theory is border collie mixed with possibly lab - he's got big lab feet and labrador fur. He hasn't had much training... knows Sit and gets the basic idea of Down but thinks leash walks are sled races.

So far the cats are NOT happy. He's way more excitable than the stray we had here a few weeks ago and he obsesses on the cats and chased Katie, who has taken a "best defense is a good offense" approach from the moment he walked in the door.

Carpet shampooer already put to serious use this morning... bland diet for him until his bowels settle down some.

Oh lordy, what have we done?!?!?!?

He's really cute and I think he will be a lot of fun when we get him and the cats on better terms. Right now, everything is just plain complicated....

We just got to the point where I realized how much I not only missed Chris desperately but missed DOG IN MY LIFE desperately. If nothing else, this will keep me very focused!

Natalie

Re: Jack

Heard that Katie was reading the "For Rent" and "Free to a Good Home" classifieds this morning! They'll all calm down and Jack will get settled in.

Toodles was about his age and of about the same frame of mind when I brought him home. He's calmed down quite a bit since then--Jack will do that too once everything isn't so "new".

Even though I thought everything was out of reach, somehow Toodles started working on the phone cord. He didn't get the internet cables, so I could use that part of the phone fine--just couldn't make or take calls until I went out and got a new handset replacement cord.

Congratulations to you and Jeff, and of course to Jack, who's found a wonderful forever home!

Kathy

Comment

Re: Jack - new to my house

If he doesn't chew a cat, I'll be happy! It's a zoo here right now...

Comment

You know Katie has that black belt in karate!

Kathy

Comment

Natalie! He is soooooooo cute!! Congratulations to you and Jack, who has picked the best Mom in the world
          Marion

Comment

Hmmm.......well Jack has just won the lottery probably due to his wonderful black and white coloring. Congrats to all of you. Sorry is all I can say to the cats - I'm sure it's a bit shocking to go from Chris to Jack, but in time he will settle down....hopefully!

A border collie mix....whew....better get your walking shoes out Natalie. Perhaps a halti collar would do wonders with the pulling?

Sure you don't want to get a playmate for him? He'd get out all of his energy on another dog! (instigator, aren't I???) LOL But with that breed, I know they have to be busy, 22-7!

Keep us updated - looking forward to hearing his shenanigans! Jody

Comment

Wow Natalie,
              Congratulations on the new arrival. He looks like he will keep you on your toes. I totally understand the need for canine companionship, know I could never be petless for long.
              Jenny & Buddy

Comment

We survived our first 24 hours... Gus got his turn to be chased right after I posted that first message so there was much tighter supervision for the rest of the day.

Jack spent some time in his kennel this afternoon so the cats could enjoy some freedom of movement and Jack did really well in it, napping nicely, since it was right next to my desk. Sometime tomorrow - gates to divide up the house a bit until they can all get along.

He had a quick once over at the vet this afternoon - weighs 48 pounds but probably should weigh more like 55 - and seems generally fit. We will watch him to make sure the diarrhea clears up and I'm going to try to put some weight on him too. He had cottage cheese only today, will do same tomorrow. And then I'm planning to set the alarm tonight and let him out a few times since I don't think he knows how to signal his need to go out.

He bounced around a lot while in rescue, staying in various places. I can tell that he's not sure yet that this is a forever home. But he generally seems happy. He's asleep behind my chair right now.

Got him a Gentle Leader setup while at the vet and had a much more successful walk this evening. He doesn't particularly like it but I'm hoping he will get used to it cuz it really did the job -- No pulling, just lots of pirouettes! While on a walk, there are enough distractions that he doesn't fight it too much. Stop too long and he tries to get rid of it.

I haven't had a dog of this age in 13 and a half years... I've got a lot of studying to do!

Natalie

Comment

Dry, carpet-shampooer-free night. Yay! Long walk this morning with his gentle leader collar. Yay! Trip for kitty gates this afternoon.

Comment

First baby picture

Comment

Very good news Natalie, we did similar recently and things are smoothing out nicely.

Hugs to you and Jack.

Scott

Comment

Natalie,

That face says it all--"Me doo-doo in the house? NEVER!"

Kathy

Comment

Natalie,
                          First if I must say he is a handsome boy!!! If you need any pointers in introducing animals to each other call me. I have a flippin zoo here BTW the new found cat is roaming free in the house now They all love each other I am happy that you got another dog. It will help with your healing! Pebbles sends a flirtacious wink to Jack
                          Marianne and canines: Jasmine( diabetic since 4/10) Puma,Harley,Sebastian,Sophie and cats: Yoda,Sabrina and Cleo. Also Baby Boy (my cockatiel) & Angel Pebbles

Comment

Hi Natalie,

Don't know what a gentle leader is but we have had a simialar situation with Talos a one year old resue with no collar/leash experience and are doing well with a no pull harness. When you correct the dog the straps under the forearms pull up and it works real good. He also did a wonderful pirouette on an ordinary collar and leash.

Scott

Comment

Hi Natalie,
                              Just saw this thread...what awesome news!! I would miss having a dog too. And I'm going to enjoy hearing about your new adventures with Jack.
                              Big hugs for your new baby!
                              Jo-Ann & Lady

Comment

Working...
                              X