Border collie Jack passed away on February 28, 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Border collie Jack

I have heard such good things about taurine in dogs with heart problems. CoQ10 I do have first hand results with it, which are all favorable.

So glad Jack got a good report.

Barb
    Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

That's great news.
      June -- Brady and Andy, Border Collie twins, 5 years old. Brady is diabetic diagnosed July 3, 2016. 5 units Humalin N x2 daily.

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
        But all the news as good. The valve leak is basically unchanged, no enlargement of the heart, and the taurine and CoQ10 supplements have helped strengthen his heart muscle - the contractions of his heart were stronger. So we heave a huge sigh of relief and stick with what we are doing.

Natalie
        Wonderful news Natalie!
        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Almost six years later... the heart murmur never caused any serious problems and was maintained at about the same level with taurine supplementation and CoQ10.

In September 2021, we felt like Jack wasn't doing well and eventually he was diagnosed with a very large but noninvasive mass in his chest cavity - the size of a loaf of bread! It was pushing all of his major organs out of place.

It was treatable with stereotactic, highly focused radiation, which we did in November. That shrank the mass tremendously and let all his organs go back to their correct positions. And he felt so much better.

But by the end of December, he started to lose steam again, gradually, subtly. He then developed wobbly back leg function and back paws sometimes rolling over, signs of lack of communication to the back over the spinal cord that was severe by February 23 and paralytic by 26.

Monday, February 28, an MRI showed a separate soft tissue mass impinging on his spinal cord at the L4 vertebrae, causing the paralysis. Likely couldn't be fixed even if he didn't have all the other issues he had.

So we let him go while he was still under anesthesia for the MRI… It was so hard because we didn't get to say goodbye to him. But when he went into the specialty clinic, as far as we all knew, it was just another vet visit and not necessarily a serious problem. So there was none of the sadness that we would have communicated to him if we had known. We couldn't wake him up to his paralyzed body just so we could say goodbye...

He was a wonderful sweet dog who overcame so many challenges in his nearly 14 years with us. He went from being afraid of everything to almost nothing bothering him. Happy, smart, incredibly handsome, and felt safe and secure thanks to working with a behaviorist, treating pain in his spine, and Prozac for anxiety, all of which made his life grand. I was really hoping for another year but it was not to be.

Natalie

Comment

awe Natalie my condolences to you and your family, friends of Jack which were many.

i think he knew why he was at the vet. he hurt. he knew you were helping him pass comfortably.

they dont stay with us long enough but are forever in our hearts
            Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
            20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

You did an amazing job with Jack . Since being on the forum your determination to solve problems for your love dogs is an inspiration that yes you can get answers and improve a dog's quality of life even with some serious diagnosis . As you know my Jesse departed last June . I could not be present as a tech euthinized her and they did not allow me to be present . I could have waited a few more days but I felt that was not fare to her . I knew time was short but then I thought that 11 years earlier with diabeties and other issues . Even with Jesse's decline I never looked at her being disabled with dog dementia. Jack had such a long life with your wonderful help . You were the right person for him . Maybe he will meet up with my Jesse and enjoy a good play on the other side .
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

• Re: Border collie Jack passed away on February 28, 2022

A year since Jack finished stereotactic radiation and 9 months since he passed away after a tumor compressed his spinal cord. We miss him so much... He was handsome, that's for sure.

Natalie

Comment

• Re: Border collie Jack passed away on February 28, 2022

Always miss our babies Natalie
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

• Natalie,

I don't come by here as often as I used to and just read of Jack's passing. You and I both know he was loved and special and will live on in your heart.

Hugs, old friend,
                    Bonnie and Angel Crissy Ann

Comment

• Bonnie... that was so kind of you. I don't get here very often either I'm afraid - had to believe it's been... coming up on 20 years since Chris was diagnosed. I hope you're doing well and enjoying life!

Comment

Working...
                      X