Pugsley became an angel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newly diabetic pug - HELP!

Actually my Jesse became more food motivated after that initial pancreatic attack . Before that she took a while to finish her food and after she was a gobble up girl which was better being diabetic

There are 2 philosophies on healing the pancreas . One is to restrict food consumption. With less meals and the other is smaller and more feedings .

I always went with less meals and if my Jesse had stomach upset I fasted her for 24 hours . Her stools were are early warning sign . She never got to a full blown pancreatic attack as the first initial one . The problem can't be ignored .

Drowning your sorrows is not a successful game plan . It's not going to be easy and it's going to take sometime to get out of the woods

For me I believed food was the enemy which contradicts that food is needed to survive . That's what makes the condition difficult to deal with . Whatever your plan is you have to stick with it and be consistent . You have to separate your emotions and take charge

Your pup coming home does not mean cured . Stools were always my guide to see how well food was being digested . You need to be sharp and on your game .

My Jesse's bill came out to 10 grand and it was worth every penny spent but that only happened providing the long term care she got at home with me . So you give it all you got and then some more . You do it for the love of your pup
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

What were the warning signs with her stools? Pugsley's are a bit intermittent at the moment - often multicoloured - normal dark but with paler lumps too.

Comment

/As I've had an EPI dog, it's all about the poop!
        You want consistency, less quantity and a tootsie roll poop.
        Anything else is worth investigating. Any other tests done like, like a cTLI

Donna

Comment

We now can't get his glucose to come down below about 350 (20 mmol) - He's having just over 7 units of Caninsulin twice a day - so that's close to 15 units a day in a 20lb dog (9kg).

He's sleeping a lot, drinking a lot, peeing a lot and constantly hungry.

I've just given him an extra 3 units because even after his 7 units 8 hours ago, his glucose is showing as 'HI' on the Freestyle Libre he has (i.e. it's above the maximum the device can read, which is 27.7 mmol (500 mg/dl).

I think he's coming to the end... I just can't keep increasing his insulin dose can I ?

Comment

There have been dogs who received an amount of a single dose of the weight of a dog . That would be 20 units twice a day in your case .

Now that is extreme for my level of comfort but getting to 10 or even 12 is ok so your still a ways off that level

You can also do a reset and change insulins to Nph . Some dogs do better on different insulins .

Adding a fast acting insulin at least to experiment with to see if you can bring levels down temporarily but can be added to a routine to battle spiking sugar

Of course there can be other things going on medically . Like thyroid disease and Cushing's .

If your at a point where you think time is running out than trying things even if it elevated risk is worth a try because you have nothing to lose

Your dog seems to show symptoms of high sugar which is rare for a dog receiving insulin even if elevated which may point to something else going on medically

If you see no signs of low sugar or big drops raising the dose one unit at a time . If you reach 12 units with no improvement than you might need to reevaluate dosing and insulin

Your kind of stuck in the mud and the longer you stay there it becomes dry and harder to get out . Maybe mixing it up a bit with things I have suggested may help

Like I posted my Jesse was unique and I tried many things . Some never tried before which gave her life back to her . I never stopped trying . I felt we had nothing to loose as time was fading away .

Now her last battle we could not win which was dog dementia . I found ways to make her more comfortable and easier for me to manage .
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thanks Jesse Girl. That's a great help and you've given me plenty to think about. Thank you.

Comment

hey Aneng theres other options but first be reminded. please answer these questions

what did the vet give him for the high liver enzymes??. is he going back to the vet regular to update testing on the liver?
                how r his eyes, any infection?

freestyle lite sensors give false readings when the dogs blood sugar reads high and also when their blood sugar reads low. its the sensor mostly. i.ve seen professionals use these readings in curves as a diagnosis and euthanize.

not an accurate meter reading. its wise to follow up on the abovehese questions with a good manual handheld glucose meter. even the handheld freestyle lite meters are not accurate at high and low bg levels. i have tested the freestyle lite on my dog.. curves are inaccurate.

have u tried a different insulin. the most common type is nph humlin or novolin.

have you tried R insulin fast acting. it acts fast works in 30 minutes.
                Last edited by Riliey and Mo; 05-02-2022, 02:27 PM. Reason: high liver enzymes
                Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

He hasn't yet had a follow up liver test. He's due one though. Why did you mention infected eyes? Because he's had a small infection over the past few days. What dudes that indicate?

Comment

hi
                    i mentioned eyes as they do get infected causing high blood sugar

its time for the vet to check the Pugsley s eye, may he needs antibiotics
                    at the same time the vet can check the liver enzymes.

ask the vet about injectoning one unit of R fast acting insulin when hes high mid day. it acts in 30 minites.
                    this is better than injecting 3 units of long acting insulin

update okay let us know how Pugsley makes out at the vet please.
                    and post the results of the two liver tests
                    Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                    20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

It's with a very heavy heart that I have to report that my baby boy passed away this afternoon. He'd been unwell for a brief time but had been spending more and more time sleeping over the past few weeks. Then he got vomiting and diarrhoea, probably a pancreatitis flare-up, then today he started gasping for breath and the vet said he couldn't do anything for him. We had to let him go peacefully as I kissed and smoothed his little head. He was 13 1/2, blind, deaf and diabetic.

I'm absolutely devastated. I've loved him with all of my heart for all of the nine years we had him.

God bless you Pugsley - Daddy loves you xxx

Comment

So very sorry for your loss Run free in fields of sweet clover Pugsley

Comment

Working...
                        X