Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Mik: 13 yr old Shih-Tzu

Great news Robert, very happy for you and Mik.

You have done a great job considering all that you have been thru. Mik didn't make it easy for you. Keep up the good work.

John (Roxee's Dad)
Old 06-21-2009, 07:32 PM

Thanks, all, I am rather proud of the little guy.

Doc had me weigh him at home immediately after the visit, and check all the time. His only concern would be if the wt fell off, then reduce insulin.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyelostit View Post
I read this and just thought there is a dog food thats called something about a moon. .

I was wondering if he likes Chicken & Rice babyfood could you add a little more rice to that?

Dolly
It's called "Barking at the Moon" by Solid Gold That company has the funkiest food names.

Nice choice for a low carb diet, if needed.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:49 PM

I've tried everything else, why not?
Old 06-27-2009, 05:43 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Mik knows what's good for him! Congratulations Robert. I am soooo happy everything is going well with him. You have been so dedicated to getting him well.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:40 PM

Many thanks, but at times I am so totally and completely frustrated that I can barely type. One day he will eat chicken/rice baby food so I buy some. After that, he'd rather have a root canal than go near it.

At times he will eat maybe 50 calories a day, nothing the next, and the next night, sit in the kitchen for hours barking for food. I will try anything and everything and he just walks away.

At this moment, I have just tried the seven things he's liked in the past

To him, they're poison now.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Founding Member

Hi Robert,
It can be so frustrating trying to get a dog to eat especially a diabetic one. I do feel your pain, speaking of pain how are Mik's teeth. I do know that if you have any dental issues it will make you not want to eat even if it smells and tastes good.
Jenny
Old 07-02-2009, 07:35 PM

Vet said teeth and gums are as good as he's seen on a 14 year old
Old 07-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Robert,

Maybe it will help to try to see it as just how Mik is going to be. Since you've got an insulin plan that works even if he doesn't eat, it's more manageable and you can just heave a sigh on the days he won't eat and figure he will eat again in a few days.

Is he losing weight?

I think he just wants to make sure you don't have idle hands... what with all the can opening and dishing out, he keeps you plenty busy!

I hope you can get to a place where you don't feel too bad about it. Heaven knows you are doing everything that can be done. There gets to be a point where Mik has to want it and if he doesn't, there's no forcing him.

When Chris was ill his last year, he sometimes turned down hamburger... I never thought I'd see that day. That's a dog who really really did not want to eat. So we cut his insulin in half and tried again at the next meal. We'd get the same kind of thing... he'd eat something for a week and then turn his nose up at it and we'd have to go find something else. Hamburger Helper, beef stew... it is very very frustrating, not to mention a huge waste of food!! Our trash was always full of something he'd decided not to eat.

But I figure they know they are loved when you try so hard to find something they like.

Hang in there. Wish I could help...

Natalie
Old 07-03-2009, 10:12 PM

The hard part is being patient. He will sit in the kitchen and bark for 2 or 3hours. No kidding. I'm amazed his still has a voice. I will serve something different and he anxiously leaps for it, sniffs, looks disgusted, and walks away.

Two minute later, it starts over.

I have no clue what he wants,