Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:57 AM

Default Re: Mik: 13 yr old Shih-Tzu

Too many choices? Conflicting smells? In desperation to get food into Mak, I leave for work with small portions of 4 or 5 foods that he has eaten in the past. At times I come home and nothings has been touched.

Other times, one of the bowls is empty, but it's not consistent. It might be one thing one day and another the next.

Am I wrong leaving too many choices and they are confused?

I have been tempted to leave just one, but can't guess which one they would like on that day.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:43 AM
Founding Moderator

Bob,

With the way both Mik and Mak decide what they will or won't eat, I think how you're handling it is the only way. You have no idea what Mak will decide to eat and you're trying to "cover all the bases" by leaving some of each one he's known to have eaten in the past.

http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Inappetance

Even though the link above is written with a slant toward getting a diabetic pet to eat, you might find some ideas there. At times, vets do need to give drugs to stimulate the appetite; there's a chart on the page of the most commonly prescribed ones. You might ask your vet if any of them might be good to get Mak through this spell of not eating.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/htm/bc/tphm02.htm

This link is to how they are prescribed. With the approval of your vet, one might be right for Mak.

HTH!

Kathy
Old 07-13-2009, 01:35 PM

Good stuff, Kathy, thanks
Old 07-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Administrator

With our heart patient, Chris, there was never any rhyme or reason to when he would eat something and when he wouldn't. Something he loved Tuesday he'd refuse on Wednesday. It's just the nature of the beast I think. Some days they just don't want to eat I don't think it's anything you have or haven't done.

Natalie
Old 07-18-2009, 06:24 PM

I fear that I'm losing them both. Mak has not eaten more than maybe a cup of food in a week. Vet says just keep trying, but there's not a food I have not tried. He hacks and coughs all day. Vet says heart is failing. Hopeless.

Mik ate well for about a week, then two days ago decided, no more. It's like they've both given up.

I know since Karen died 10 months ago, they have been visually and obviously depressed. She was with them 24/7, and now they just sort of find a spot and remain there until I literally carry them to the kitchen. Neither will even come to the kitchen except for water. They sniff the various foods I have on the floor and leave.

They used to meet me at the door. Now I have to go find them.

I am very upset, but vet says there is nothing more he or I can do except keep encouraging them to eat.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:32 PM

Hi Robert,

I'm keeping the faith and saying a prayer.

Take them for a ride in the car and stop at burger King. Burger shots without condiments (Maybe a change in atmosphere might help)

Praying for Mik and Mak.

John (Roxee's Dad)
Old 07-19-2009, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpri View Post
I fear that I'm losing them both. Mak has not eaten more than maybe a cup of food in a week. Vet says just keep trying, but there's not a food I have not tried. He hacks and coughs all day. Vet says heart is failing. Hopeless.

Mik ate well for about a week, then two days ago decided, no more. It's like they've both given up.

I know since Karen died 10 months ago, they have been visually and obviously depressed. She was with them 24/7, and now they just sort of find a spot and remain there until I literally carry them to the kitchen. Neither will even come to the kitchen except for water. They sniff the various foods I have on the floor and leave.

They used to meet me at the door. Now I have to go find them.

I am very upset, but vet says there is nothing more he or I can do except keep encouraging them to eat.
Robert,
I am so sorry to hear this I will be saying prayers for them both.
I think your wee dogs are maybe broken hearted as they both loved Karen very much just as you did.

It is very hard to make them eat Robert and I know what you must be going through. I cried when I read your post.

You have certainly done your best Robert as regards their care, and I know your wee dogs will know this too.

Hugs to the three of you. I am thinking about you.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:01 AM

Thank you.

I honestly do now understand how Mak can function, or even remain conscious. He walks to his water several times a day, does his very minimal body functions where he is supposed to, and then just lies in one spot all day.

I am not kidding about a "one cup of food in a week". He might eat one, repeat, one cheerio and walk away.

Every morning I wake and expect to find him in a coma or passed on.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:01 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Robert,
I too am praying for them and you today. You all have been through a lot in the last year.
Lifting you up,
Patty
Old 07-19-2009, 09:16 AM

This is so heart breaking I am so sorry to hear this. At this point I would try anything to get them to eat... whatever you cook to eat for yourself, whatever you buy... anything....

I know it might not be the best for them but it's worth a shot...

Again, I'm so sorry to hear this...