Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Mik: 13 yr old Shih-Tzu

Hi Robert,
Try taking Mik and Mak for a ride in the car. Maybe to a dog park or take a blanket and put in in the cart and go to Petsmart and just troll the isles. Maybe a change of scenery, smells, people, will give them some excitement.

Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

John (Roxee's Dad)
Old 07-21-2009, 09:27 PM
Administrator

That's a good idea John! I don't know about Mik and Mak but Jack loves an outing... pretty much anywhere is good for him. Though he prefers it to include squirrels...
Old 07-21-2009, 11:44 PM
Founding Member

Hi Robert,

Just checking in on you and Mik and Mak, I hope today is a better day.

Dolly
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 07-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Hi Robert

Wanted to see how you were. Drop us a note when you can
Old 07-24-2009, 07:59 AM

Thank you for asking,
No real change. Mak eats maybe 50-75 calories a day [after hours of coaxing] and Mik's appetitie and preferences change by the hour. Loved turkey slices last night, today they are poision. He managed about 300 calories one night and I thought the crisis was over, then ate nothing for two days.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpri View Post
Thank you for asking,
No real change. Mak eats maybe 50-75 calories a day [after hours of coaxing] and Mik's appetitie and preferences change by the hour. Loved turkey slices last night, today they are poision. He managed about 300 calories one night and I thought the crisis was over, then ate nothing for two days.
Hi Robert,
It was nice to see your post I have been thinking about you all, try to keep your spirits up Robert ( I know easier said than done).
I think everyone is concerned for you and Mik and Mak.

Just take one day at a time Robert you are doing great.

Hugs to you all
Old 07-26-2009, 06:40 PM

Robert,
Haven't seen an update. Hope the kids are doing better. I really believe they can sense your / our emotions and if you are depressed because they are not eating, the depression might be feeding on itself and they are feeling depressed. Change the scenery, change the mood, take them in the yard and throw their favorite toys. Take out the leash and see if they get excited.

We lost our Roxee very recently and her littermate sister (Rozee) of 14 years has been very depressed. Can't blame her for all the tears that have been shed in our house for a while. I have had to take her out for a rides, spend special time alone with her and her favorite toy in the yard, get her to follow me into another room for a special treat. It's an ongoing battle to keep her out of her depression. We get some relief for a while but we keep trying.

Please keep us posted, we are concerned for you, Mik and Mak.

Keeping positive thoughts and prayers for you and yours.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Hi Robert

thinking of you and the little ones. Know we are thinking about you and wish you well.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxee'sDad View Post
Robert,
We lost our Roxee very recently and her littermate sister (Rozee) of 14 years has been very depressed. Can't blame her for all the tears that have been shed in our house for a while.

Oh, I am SO sorry to hear this. I fully understand the depression. Since Karen left us, this house has been depressed although I try everything to keep the mood light. At 14, they are not playful any more, but at times I can get them going.

Minor victories here and there. I leave out dry kibble and cheerios during the day, and one day all the bowls were licked clean. I don't know which one ate, or both.

Mik is the most fickle critter I've ever seen. The chicken breasts were a HUGE success for about five days, then he lost all interest. I was cooking them in light olive oil then draining and dicing.

I then tried the microwave, and that worked once. I tried cooking in light butter and that was a failure.

Maybe they liked the olive oil flavor. I'll try it again. Chopped turkey breast is "off and on". Some days they will eat it, others, not go near it.

I fried a cube steak and diced it and Mik ate the whole thing! Success! I bought more, and now he won't go near it.

Mik is holding his wt, but Mak is losing it. But he's about two-three lbs heavy anyway, but I don't want him losing wt this way---not eating much.

Getting either one to wake at 5 am is a chore, much less getting them to eat.

But we're still here.

Many thanks to all, and so sorry about Roxee.

bob
Old 07-29-2009, 07:14 AM

Hi Robert,
Very happy to hear from you and the kids. I am so glad that they are eating even though it's still finicky. I guess you are becomming quite the gourmet canine chef. Might want to consider writing a book . 14 is a bit senior but my last pooch Bailey lived to be 17 and Chainey before him lived to be 19.

Thanks for the condolences on Roxee, we do miss her sooo much as I am sure you understand. I'm still trying to get Rozee out of her funk. I took my own advice yesterday and took her to Petsmart to troll the isles. She got excited in the food isle, her nose was just sniffing away. Then she got excited in the toy isle and even picked out a new toy. Then she growled at the groomer that came out to say hi. That's my girl.

Take care Robert, and please keep us up to date. I get so sad and worried when I don't see anything from you for a while.